Top 20 Bands Improved by New Drummers

Son of Vistalite Black

Top 20 Bands Improved by New Drummers​

Although this list from Goldmine magazine (by Martin Popoff) is ruined by picks 2 and 3, it’ll be interesting to see what other choices the Drummerworld would make.

20 Todd La Torre -- Queensrÿche

19 Vinnie Appice – Black Sabbath

18 Ringo Starr - Beatles

17. Topper Headon – The Clash

16. Chad Wackerman – Frank Zappa

15. Nigel Glocker – Saxon

14. Gary McCracken – Max Webster

13. Ian Paice – Whitesnake!

12. Bill Bruford – King Crimson

11. Dave Grohl – Nirvana

10. Phil Collins – Genesis (3rd album)

9. Kenny Aronoff—John Camping Melloncougar

8. Cozy Powell – Rainbow (second album)

7. Nicko McBrain – Iron Maiden

6. Gavin Harrison – Porcupine Tree

5. Scott Travis – Judas Priest

4. Eric Carr – KISS

3. Charlie Watts – The Rolling Stones

2. Keith Moon – The Who

1. Neil Peart – Rush

Last edited:
Todd the singer for Ryche? He can only be seen as better since Tate fell off. He isn't equal to what Geoff was. Nobody was?

We're all better than Buddy Rich now.

Last edited:
Todd the singer for Ryche? He can only be seen as better since Tate fell off. He isn't equal to what Geoff was. Nobody was?

We're all better than Buddy Rich now.
The implication is Todd La Torree is a better drummer than Scott Rockenfield. Son of Vistalite Black thinks this is ridiculously off target.

The implication is Todd La Torree is a better drummer than Scott Rockenfield. Son of Vistalite Black thinks this is ridiculously off target.

Yeah, I have serious doubts that he's a better drummer. It's intriguing enough to give a listen...of live recordings.

Added: from the limited amount I located he sounds like a decent but very common and very typical bar gig drummer.

Last edited:
I saw the article last week. It's nothing but poorly written-clickbait designed to take up space on the Internet

#20 doesn't even make sense given Todd played drums on one single album, and never live with QR. I'm not knocking his skills, but that album was hardly an improvement or a turning point in QR career.

#2 and #3 don't even make sense given no one had heard of those bands before Watts and Moon joined, Doing a few club gigs with other people doesn't really much count.

Even Ringo is debatable given how few people were aware of the Beatles with Pete Best.

#19 is also suspect. Vinny is a great player and all, but it's a stretch to say he improved Black Sabbath. His tenure in the band was also relatively short, only appearing on one studio album and a live album.

A few others seem to be grasping at straws so he could have 20 names,

Last edited:
A better selection would be Randy Castillo - Ozzy, (with all due respect to the great Tommy Aldridge)
Yes, the late Lee Kerslake was great on the 1st two Ozzy albums, but his personality didn't fit Ozzy for whatever reason, leading to his being replaced by the legend Tommy Aldridge. Tommy rather deserves the the mention for taking Ozzy's music live to the next level. But after the initial tour, Tommy recorded one album, then quit. Though he did return to finish the tour, before quitting again. In comes the late Randy Castillo, who not only could play what Ozzy needed but his personality fit Ozzy's band. Randy stayed with Ozzy over 3 big selling albums and would have likely continued on, except Ozzy disbanded his band to retire. Randy just fit Ozzy's band like a glove.

Tommy Aldridge - Whitesnake. Although Whitesnake were rather popular in the UK, they were fairly marginal in the USA. Then the self-titled 1987 album, changed everything, While Ansley Dunbar actually recorded the album itself, Tommy appeared in all the videos, the tour, and the follow-up album, and tour. Tommy's flamboyant and heavy-hitting style fit what Whitesnake was doing at the time to the point many didn't realize he hadn't been in the band longer. And while Whitesnake has gone through numerous lineup changes since the 80s, Tommy has been asked to return several times. It's essentially his gig except for when he doesn't want to do it,

Special mention: Daniel Liljekvist - Katatonia. Their 1st 4 albums had either vocalist Jonas Renkset or a studio drummer on them. The band just sort of floated around without a solid direction in the early years. After Liljekvist joined, the band began to find its direction. Liljekvist's incredible skills as a drummer also took the music to a completely different level rhythmically. Liljekvist would explain in an interview some years back that Jonas has ideas for complex drum patterns, but Jonas himself doesn't have the drumming skills to play them, so Daniel was responsible for making ideas for difficult parts possible in the studio and live.

A better selection would be Randy Castillo - Ozzy, (with all due respect to the great Tommy Aldridge)
Yes, the late Lee Kerslake was great on the 1st two Ozzy albums, but his personality didn't fit Ozzy for whatever reason, leading to his being replaced by the legend Tommy Aldridge. Tommy rather deserves the the mention for taking Ozzy's music live to the next level. But after the initial tour, Tommy recorded one album, then quit. Though he did return to finish the tour, before quitting again. In comes the late Randy Castillo, who not only could play what Ozzy needed but his personality fit Ozzy's band. Randy stayed with Ozzy over 3 big selling albums and would have likely continued on, except Ozzy disbanded his band to retire. Randy just fit Ozzy's band like a glove.

Tommy Aldridge - Whitesnake. Although Whitesnake were rather popular in the UK, they were fairly marginal in the USA. Then the self-titled 1987 album, changed everything, While Ansley Dunbar actually recorded the album itself, Tommy appeared in all the videos, the tour, and the follow-up album, and tour. Tommy's flamboyant and heavy-hitting style fit what Whitesnake was doing at the time to the point many didn't realize he hadn't been in the band longer. And while Whitesnake has gone through numerous lineup changes since the 80s, Tommy has been asked to return several times. It's essentially his gig except for when he doesn't want to do it,

Special mention: Daniel Liljekvist - Katatonia. Their 1st 4 albums had either vocalist Jonas Renkset or a studio drummer on them. The band just sort of floated around without a solid direction in the early years. After Liljekvist joined, the band began to find its direction. Liljekvist's incredible skills as a drummer also took the music to a completely different level rhythmically. Liljekvist would explain in an interview some years back that Jonas has ideas for complex drum patterns, but Jonas himself doesn't have the drumming skills to play them, so Daniel was responsible for making ideas for difficult parts possible in the studio and live.
I used to go see randy play with a band out of new mexico called the wumbles? They were amazing, they played on mon nights and the only people there were other mucisians. His playing was amazing and his bass drum sent a shock wave through your thorax. I guess he eventually moved to l a, slept in his car for a short time and got into lita fords band. Man what a player!

I used to go see randy play with a band out of new mexico called the wumbles? They were amazing, they played on mon nights and the only people there were other mucisians. His playing was amazing and his bass drum sent a shock wave through your thorax. I guess he eventually moved to l a, slept in his car for a short time and got into lita fords band. Man what a player!
Where do I begin. I TO saw the Wumblies locally. Looooong story short...i talked with Randy on break.. our favorite drummers were Paice and Bonham. As I left I looked at him and said..ill make it befor you do with a smile. He said..ill make it befor YOU do. 10 years later he's with Ozzy. That Ol son of a gun beat me. 😃

Where do I begin. I TO saw the Wumblies locally. Looooong story short...i talked with Randy on break.. our favorite drummers were Paice and Bonham. As I left I looked at him and said..ill make it befor you do with a smile. He said..ill make it befor YOU do. 10 years later he's with Ozzy. That Ol son of a gun beat me. 😃
The wumblies were amazing!

I saw the article last week. It's nothing but poorly written-clickbait designed to take up space on the Internet

#20 doesn't even make sense given Todd played drums on one single album, and never live with QR. I'm not knocking his skills, but that album was hardly an improvement or a turning point in QR career.

#2 and #3 don't even make sense given no one had heard of those bands before Watts and Moon joined, Doing a few club gigs with other people doesn't really much count.

Even Ringo is debatable given how few people were aware of the Beatles with Pete Best.

#19 is also suspect. Vinny is a great player and all, but it's a stretch to say he improved Black Sabbath. His tenure in the band was also relatively short, only appearing on one studio album and a live album.

A few others seem to be grasping at straws so he could have 20 names,
Vinnie also played on Sabbath’s “Dehumanizer.”

There are other second drummers who could be considered for this list … Dave Abbruzzese of Pearl Jam.

Chad Smith with the Chili Peppers.

AC/DC, Artimus Pyle … Chuck Biscuits

Samantha Maloney in Motley Crue!

Another what should have been listed as an actual improvement:
Mark Zonder joining Fates Warning. After 4 albums, with a sign set on making progressive hard rock/metal, Fates Warning parted ways with original drummer Steve Zimmerman and brought in Mark Zonder. While Steve was capable of navigating the band's syncopations and ever-changing time signatures, he kept it low-key without much flair. In comes Zonder with chops galore. Now the band had someone who could match the songwriter Jim Maethois concepts with drummer acrobatics. Much like how Peart took Rush to another level after John Rutsy, Zonder did the same for Fates Warning. I actually never quite understood how drummers were losing their minds over Weckle in the late 80s and early 90s while ignoring Mark Zonder given both drummers had mind-boggling skills, chops and played in bands that were about equally (not) popular.

Although this list from Goldmine magazine (by Martin Popoff) is ruined by picks 2 and 3, it’ll be interesting to see what other choices the Drummerworld would make.

18 Ringo Starr - Beatles

11. Dave Grohl – Nirvana

4. Eric Carr – KISS

2. Keith Moon – The Who

1. Neil Peart – Rush

They forgot to mention every band I've ever joined.

season 7 violet GIF by RuPaul's Drag Race

18 Ringo Starr - Beatles

11. Dave Grohl – Nirvana

4. Eric Carr – KISS

2. Keith Moon – The Who

1. Neil Peart – Rush

For once i can't expand on that list. it's pretty dam good

There are other second drummers who could be considered for this list … Dave Abbruzzese of Pearl Jam.

Chad Smith with the Chili Peppers.

AC/DC, Artimus Pyle … Chuck Biscuits

Samantha Maloney in Motley Crue!

One could certainly make a compelling argument for Chad Smith and Artimus Pyle.

Dave Abbruzzese is a bit debatable given he got famous replicating parts and style for an album that he did not record. And then he got fired for not getting along with the other guys in the band. He was there for the most famous part, but if he "improved" the band could be questioned.

Samantha Maloney is a good drummer. But she didn't improve Motley Crue. Her tenure in the band is often overlooked because it's not like she recorded any albums or played on any hit singles, other than live recordings. You could potentially argue she improved Hole, and I might buy it but she never did appear on any of their albums.

Back