Ride and two crash set ups

Sabian SR2 21 heavy
Sabian AA 16 thin crash
Diril 20 Jazz Ride (as far as I can tell since the ink was long gone by the time I got it)

for my brushes only/old school swing group:

early 2000's era 17" Zildjian K Dark Custom crash (this is my brush ride honestly)
1948 18" Zildjian crash w/ rivets
1948 22" Zildjian crash/ride

for my country/rockabilly group

90's era 18" Zildjian A Thin crash
90's era 19" Zildjian K Dark medium Thin crash
90's era 22" Zildjian K Ride

for my brushes only/old school swing group:

early 2000's era 17" Zildjian K Dark Custom crash (this is my brush ride honestly)
1948 18" Zildjian crash w/ rivets
1948 22" Zildjian crash/ride

for my country/rockabilly group

90's era 18" Zildjian A Thin crash
90's era 19" Zildjian K Dark medium Thin crash
90's era 22" Zildjian K Ride
So do you bring all of them for those brushes old school swing country rockabilly gigs?

This is my current setup that I record with and I have a solid pile of others available to me, but this works for much of what I do:

22" K Constantinople Renaissance Ride
20" Sabian HHX Complex Thin Crash
18".Sabian HHX Complex Thin Crash

(I also do have 3 splashes from 6-12" in my setup)

I have 15 cymbals, including a couple of splash cymbals and china cymbal). I use different cymbals for light jazz, big band, outdoors, mic versus no mics etc. Most of my ride and crash cymbals work well as both crashes and rides. For indoor bar gigs with my classic/country rock band where only the snare and bass drum are miced, or larger venues with an overhead mic, I use the following:

Sabian HHX 20" Complex Medium Ride (Great to crash as well))
Sabian HHX 18" Anthology (Great crash/ride)
Sabian HHX 18" Complex Thin Crash (Blends well with the Anthology ride/crash and Complex ride. Not great as a ride cymbal...very washy but works well for a song that requires a ride with lots of wash like "Lonely Boy" by the Black Keys. Otherwise, I rarely ride on this cymbal).

These are great cymbals and I wouldn't hesitate to use them for any gig or any style of music. Of course, I have lots of cymbals and often pick different cymbals for soft jazz and big band just to change it up and provide a different pallet of sounds that blend differently or have a better ability to cut through the volume of a big band.

Back