Is there any value in pursuing cheap, steel snare drums?

Does anyone have any experiences with these two drum heads?
These are the two drum heads that are specifically designed to tame the ring in 1mm thin steel shells that are used in building cheap steel snares or any other snare with excessive ring. Thanks.

Evans Genera Dry
https://www.musiciansfriend.com/accessories/evans-genera-dry-batter-snare-head

Aquarian Focus-X Coated With Power Dot Snare Drum Head
https://www.musiciansfriend.com/accessories/aquarian-focus-x-coated-with-power-dot-snare-drum-head
i have the Genera Dry on my Mapex MPX Maple 8 x 14 snare.... It works as advertised. Cuts down on the Ring quite a bit. But i still had to make the Reso head table top tight to tame the snare wires. Sounds great with a Steves Donut Big fate snare

i have the Genera Dry on my Mapex MPX Maple 8 x 14 snare.... It works as advertised. Cuts down on the Ring quite a bit. But i still had to make the Reso head table top tight to tame the snare wires. Sounds great with a Steves Donut Big fate snare

Thanks for the feedback. I have installed the Evans Genera Dry.
Here are two pics of the Yamaha Stage Custom Steel Snare with the modifications.
Top has Evans Genera Dry head and die cast hoop. Bottom has 12 strand snare wires.

top-snare.jpg
bottom-snare.jpg

ever been near the side of a highway and tap on a guardrail?
yea, that's it
😁 been my impression
owned 1 once.

This Slingerland is very nice in high tuning. The throw off is a bit clunky though. I like it for funky stuff.

Attachments

• IMG_20230701_161859.jpg
    IMG_20230701_161859.jpg
    301.8 KB · Views: 6
Ok. Cheap steel snares. Wondering what your thoughts are on these three 14x6.5 snares and all available new. I believe the Ludwigs and Yamahas are made in China and the Sensitones made in Taiwan. Is the Sensitone worth the extra $ compared to the other two?

Pearl Sensitone Heritage Alloy 10 lugs $270

Ludwig Supralite 10 tube lugs $200

Yamaha Stage Custom 10 lugs $100

And just to further complicate things, would I be better off looking for a maple 14x6.5 snare instead?

Last edited:
Ok. Cheap steel snares. Wondering what your thoughts are on these three 14x6.5 snares and all available new. I believe the Ludwigs and Yamahas are made in China and the Sensitones made in Taiwan. Is the Sensitone worth the extra $ compared to the other two?

And just to further complicate things, would I be better off looking for a maple 14x6.5 snare instead?
As the owner of the world’s greatest snare, made with maple outer plies and rerings, I say absolutely!

If the goal is to go low cost, then these two will be good options.
Both of these options have beaded shells, so aesthetically they look good too.

1) Yamaha Stage Custom Steel Snare

2) For a low cost Pearl - Pearl Modern Utility Steel Snare
https://pearldrum.com/products/snares/modern-utility-metal/steel-utility-14x65

Sakae Steel they’re out there just got to look harder.

Attachments

• IMG_2139.jpeg
    IMG_2139.jpeg
    125.6 KB · Views: 1
Back