Bass drum head Hole protectors

Are these things really necessary? I just cut holes in my front heads and go without. Or, I may use that Remo O-ring thing by adhering it to the inside of the head, and then using that to guide my razor blade to cut the hole (very handy). But other than that I’ve never had to protect the hole. Other than the brute who may force a mic through the hole, what else would you protect the hole from?

The cut edge of a clear ambassador is pretty darn sharp. But I really add it because I personally like the looks of it, chrome contrasted against mirrored ebony
53141210942_386e9b4c1f_k.jpg

Are these things really necessary? I just cut holes in my front heads and go without. Or, I may use that Remo O-ring thing by adhering it to the inside of the head, and then using that to guide my razor blade to cut the hole (very handy). But other than that I’ve never had to protect the hole. Other than the brute who may force a mic through the hole, what else would you protect the hole from?
I have a hole cut in mine with no ring or reinforcement of any kid. I think its just to make it look good but as far as protection im not sure what im protecting it from?

I have a hole cut in mine with no ring or reinforcement of any kid. I think its just to make it look good but as far as protection im not sure what im protecting it from?
Rushed sound guys hastily sticking a mic in the port, clumsy guitarists/singers backing into the bass drum mic stand causing the mic to hit/tear the head, etc. Crazy stuff happens on stage and during setup/teardown. Heads are expensive, so it's better to be safe than sorry, IMO.

I just got a new reso for the phonics and decided this time I would try the Drum O (I used the gibraltar on my gretsch…). Oh wow, these Drum Os are winners, your fingers will thank you. It was very easy. No snapping required at all, in fact I didn’t even use the backing ring because the front side worked so well. I figured forget it.
53384496081_9f7363265a_k.jpg
53384931860_4ffe53c9de_k.jpg%0A

Back