What are you listening to right now?

Frank Zappa - Stevie's spanking (Featuring Steve Vai) Live duet version / Desterratorializado Flores
Jimi Hendrix - Voodoo Child (Slight Return) Stockholm 1969 / Potentium Podcast

Last edited:
...what's the common denominator between these 3 songs?...

...Neil Diamond 😎

New Meshuggah concert, fantastic audio quality.

When we talk about singing drummers, Jimmy Marinos is a name I don't recall coming up a whole lot, and yet he was the lead vocalist on both of the band's most well-known songs.
Yes, very true.
However, he wasn't the band's only "lead singer", as seen in this video...

...very talented group.

Heard Gator Country from Molly Hatchet's first LP the other day - got my mind running a list of "Name check songs" where bands call out other bands or singers. There are many!

Last edited:
Yes, very true.
However, he wasn't the band's only "lead singer", as seen in this video...

...very talented group.
Yeah, that's the interesting thing. They had three members who at least occasionally sang lead, and Jimmy was either the 2nd or 3rd more likely to sing, and yet (again) their two best-known songs were both sung by him. (Although according to wiki, "One In a Million" is actually their second-highest charting single.
Heard Gator Country from Molly Hatchet's first LP the other day - got my mind running a list of "Name check songs." There are many!

I'm not sure there's ever been an artist or band with a more consistent discrepancy between cover art and sound. The Frazetta/Vallejo paintings would lead you to expect some sort of metal, while the music would lead you to expect cover art more along the lines of the Allmans or Skynyrd or Marshall Tucker, with either some longhaired good ol' boys or some fancy typeface against a relatively plain background.

Pete Townshend - Give Blood (featuring David Gilmour) / exDrBob1
Simon Phillips was spectacular in that one. I was a fan almost straight away. I played that album to death. Townsend's writing is so good.

It was 801 Live's East of Asteroid that made me realise just what a monster player Simon was, and he was only young too. I was a bit torn at the time because I was a big fan of Charles Hayward, who drummed on the studio versions on Manzanera's brilliant Quiet Sun album. Interesting to compare their approaches.

Simon's chops, power, groove and intensity are almost peerless. In those areas, Charles eats Simon's dust :LOL: But in some ways, though, I thought Charles's simpler, gnarlier drumming suited the music a tad more than Simon's "session licks". Both are great in their own ways.

Simon with 801 on East of Asteroid:

Charles with Quiet Sun on Mummy Was An Asteroid, Daddy Was A Small Non-Stick Kitchen Utensil (yeah, it was the 70s):

Back