One up one down set up question

Rhythm666

This passed my mind when tinkering with my set up. If you played one up one down would you play the rack tom of a cymbal stand or do you keep the rack tom on the bass drum as the bass drum came with the bracket anyway and why?
Some pics would be cool to see how your set up looks like

No photo description available.

why retain bass mount? because less to carry;
another snare stand cuts into floor space.. don't always use left side cymbal and stand.. multitude of reasons why to use bd mount

Plus you're only going to be there 3.5 hours anyways 😁

Last edited:
I use a tom stand. I find snare stands choke the tone, even without the arms gripping the drum.
I find tom stands are more versatile than BD mounts.
Same here. I have found that no matter what snare stand and no matter how tight or loose I leave the basket, it always chokes the drum to the point that I am unhappy with the tone. So, I always use either a dedicated tom stand or mount it off of a cymbal stand. The difference in tone is significant and I can still have plenty of flexibility and consistency in placement. Though, I will say, if I was ever to fins a snare stand that didn't choke the drum, I would convert to using a snare stand in a heartbeat.

why retain bass mount? because less to carry;
another snare stand cuts into floor space.. don't always use left side cymbal and stand.. multitude of reasons why to use bd mount

Plus you're only going to be there 3.5 hours anyways 😁
100%.
I have the tom mount on the cymbal stand & the combo helps with floor space. This kit you have is just off the hook beautiful.

If you hardly ever use a ride cymbal, then having the tom mounted on the bass drum makes sense because it reduces hardware.
If you want the ride in a nice, comfortable spot, it makes sense to put the tom on a stand beside the kick drum, and float the ride over the kick.
I use a snare stand with the tips of the claws grabbing the bottom hoop, so nothing else is touching the drum or hoop. That doesn't seem to choke the drum much.
And Charlie Watts used a snare stand so, of course, I have to. More seriously, I find the position easier to work with because I can get the tom lower and I don't have to lean slightly to the right every time I hit the tom.

I NEVER hang a rack tom from a cymbal stand . NEVER . I would always prefer a tom mount on the bass drum first , followers by using the Tama Classic Tom stand . That is it .some or just sets over the years IMG_0669.jpegIMG_5775.jpegIMG_0571.jpegIMG_0569.jpegIMG_0568.jpegIMG_0566.jpegIMG_0563.jpegIMG_0562.jpegIMG_0561.jpegIMG_0560.jpeg

I prefer using the bass drum tom mount. Easier and more consistent set up. When I use a snare stand it places the tom too far to my left. I feel like I have to reach for it and it makes a bigger gap between the rack and floor. I don’t really like putting the tom on a cymbal stand for gigging. It takes more adjusting to get it where I want it. It’s fine for my kit at home where I rarely move anything.

What is the function of the bar on the top of your bass drum? I love the look of those cymbals!

That's the rail mount for the rack tom. I never could get it adjusted for a comfortable angle, so I just use a snare stand.

Most of the time it's the tom and ride on top of the kick.
1691686172175.png
Sometimes it's not.
3C042FD6-B997-4CDF-BE33-8FD74EA2077F.jpeg

I like the smaller tom to be over the bass drum more than a snare stand can do. I tried mounting it on a cymbal stand, and then I bought a tom stand. Eventually, I put a tom holder on the bass drum because it is easier and less weight. Peace and goodwill.

Back