What are you listening to right now?

Critics really savaged this album for being "too clever by half". When I think of critics like that I'm reminded of a quote by Rick - 'Your boos mean nothing, I've seen what makes you cheer.'

The album is nuts, like a collection of mini-operas, and Kevin Godley is a monster drummer.

Wow, Grea. Your taste in music is normally in the southern hemisphere compared to my normal fare (45.366° N) and this one's no different. For that, I'm thankful. Whether or not I *like* some of your offerings is beside the point: you've expanded my horizon! This isn't a backhanded compliment - you and large handful of other DW folks keep me listening and learning (sorry, if I don't mention you all by name, but the thought is still heartfelt).

Musical taste is no different than ice cream - I like French Vanilla, you might like Double-Chocolate Fudge. Neither one of us is *right*; but if you at least tried French Vanilla ice cream and decided you didn't like it, my hat's off to you!

So, DW gals and guys, keep hitting me with "What You're Listening to Right Now" and I'll keep listening.

Best Wishes! John

(edit) FWIW, This Sporting Life reminded me of Frank Zappa's music; I'm not normally a great fan. But don't let that stop you!

Wow, Grea. Your taste in music is normally in the southern hemisphere compared to my normal fare (45.366° N) and this one's no different. For that, I'm thankful. Whether or not I *like* some of your offerings is beside the point: you've expanded my horizon! This isn't a backhanded compliment - you and large handful of other DW folks keep me listening and learning (sorry, if I don't mention you all by name, but the thought is still heartfelt).

Musical taste is no different than ice cream - I like French Vanilla, you might like Double-Chocolate Fudge. Neither one of us is *right*; but if you at least tried French Vanilla ice cream and decided you didn't like it, my hat's off to you!

So, DW gals and guys, keep hitting me with "What You're Listening to Right Now" and I'll keep listening.

Best Wishes! John

(edit) FWIW, This Sporting Life reminded me of Frank Zappa's music; I'm not normally a great fan. But don't let that stop you!
Yeah, that album was strongly influenced by Uncle Frank.

Sometimes I listen to normal music ...

listen to the rhythm during the initial 6 measures of this melody "head"
they (drums and bass) are splitting 5 in equal halves
one two three + four five
one two three + four five

6X

melody returns (after long solos) at 7:54

Critics really savaged this album for being "too clever by half". When I think of critics like that I'm reminded of a quote by Rick - 'Your boos mean nothing, I've seen what makes you cheer.'

The album is nuts, like a collection of mini-operas, and Kevin Godley is a monster drummer.

Not really my thing but there is one in there I like 👍🏼. I’m in agreement with @Smoke .

Every once in a while. With no provocation. Brain radio is silent. And what starts playing?

Me. Playing drums. A nice groove not based on anything previously recorded (that I can nail down anyway).

So, I let brain radio have free rein.

Or is it me?

Sometimes I wish brain radio had a "record" button...

Every once in a while. With no provocation. Brain radio is silent. And what starts playing?

Me. Playing drums. A nice groove not based on anything previously recorded (that I can nail down anyway).

So, I let brain radio have free rein.

Or is it me?

Sometimes I wish brain radio had a "record" button...
Well, I finally got my brain radio to kick J.Geils off the turntable. Replaced it with this.....

...now I get to hear that trumpet, "duh-duhduuhhh, duh-duhduuhhh..." 24 hours a day. At least its a change of pace. ;)

Back