Cymbals for moderate rock/pop

Mr Jibbles

Hello all,

I’m getting back into acoustic drumming after a gap of about 15 years. I have the drums, but need cymbals. I used to play UFIP bionics way back when, which I liked. But I used to gig and I had a bigger and louder kit. Today, I’m looking for a cymbal line that’s versatile, good for rock and pop at lower-moderate volumes, and that is not too heavy or harsh.

So, pretty boring. So far, I‘m thinking:

- UFIP Class (light weight)
- Zildjian K Sweet

Anyone care to suggest any lines that might fit the bill or else second the above? There’s just so much choice out there! On the money side, I’m in mid-life crisis territory, so willing to spend on happiness.

Thanks!

I've not heard them but there are some "chill" lines these days
the A Avedis series comes to mind.
combination of Classic but with some other twist.

Also If Bells are important to you- listen close- many makes today- get the "body" sound right but fall flat with "stratospheric" bells, cups..

good for rock and pop at lower-moderate volumes, and that is not too heavy or harsh

A Customs or pretty much any flavor of Zildjian K ( I like the tone of K Custom Darks and K Darks) .
The A Customs to me sound bright yet somehow warm, and like the K series the crashes open up easily and decay pretty fast.

K Custom Dark hi-hats, but the list of hats that fit the bill here is long.

Last edited:
amedia cymbals thrace series :) smoother than A customs, more buttery than evolutions IMO :)

Today, I’m looking for a cymbal line that’s versatile, good for rock and pop at lower-moderate volumes, and that is not too heavy or harsh.

Meinl Byzance traditionals fit those criteria.

The medium-thin and thin crashes are fantastic workhorse, chameleon cymbals. My top recommendations are the 19" medium-thin and the 18" thin crashes.

If I had to recommend one set of hi-hats in the same series, it would be the 14" thin hats. To my ears they are more versatile than the medium hats.

That said, I love the 14" Byzance Dark hats. Pair those with the 21" Dark Ride, and the two crashes I mentioned above, and you are good for any pop/rock song.

If you have never checked out Meinl before, I encourage you to do so. Especially given your sonic criteria.

Hello all,

I’m getting back into acoustic drumming after a gap of about 15 years. I have the drums, but need cymbals. I used to play UFIP bionics way back when, which I liked. But I used to gig and I had a bigger and louder kit. Today, I’m looking for a cymbal line that’s versatile, good for rock and pop at lower-moderate volumes, and that is not too heavy or harsh.

So, pretty boring. So far, I‘m thinking:

- UFIP Class (light weight)
- Zildjian K Sweet

Anyone care to suggest any lines that might fit the bill or else second the above? There’s just so much choice out there! On the money side, I’m in mid-life crisis territory, so willing to spend on happiness.

Thanks!
I love my K Constantinople cymbals for that.

Also, the K Sweet rides are killer for this. I have a 20'' proto and had a 24'' proto. Both stunning cymbals that fit what you are looking for.

The Agop Traditionals are my favorites for an all-around cymbal these days.

Last weekend I played a backline kit with a set of Ks on it, and they were quite nice, of not as nuanced as my Agops. It was just a regular ride and hats along with light crashes.

Nobody’s mentioned Paiste Masters or Signature Traditionals. I have a 24” Thin Ride Masters that is more K than real K’s.
ooooh- I never listened to these cymbals before but I love that sound. I just clicked on a YT video of the 20" Paiste Thin Ride Masters and fell in love. For my playing, being able to easily crash a ride is important and this certainly is the case. This might be my next must-have cymbal, if there is such a thing with everything I've got now. It's on my GAS list. Thanks for mentioning this, Bo.

ooooh- I never listened to these cymbals before but I love that sound. I just clicked on a YT video of the 20" Paiste Thin Ride Masters and fell in love. For my playing, being able to easily crash a ride is important and this certainly is the case. This might be my next must-have cymbal, if there is such a thing with everything I've got now. It's on my GAS list. Thanks for mentioning this, Bo.
Yeah, my 24” is my new favorite ride. I was using a 22” K Light Ride before this one and it still had that Zildjian gong-y undertone. Paiste figured out how to keep that vibe but lose the gong. I’m a convert!

I use Ks but you'll get a million and one different replies here, all of which are valid and are the sound you're after.

Paiste Giant Beats are another that do everything and open up with the lightest touch (I used these for years too)

Mycymbal.com is a great place to start and see what your ears warm to.

Back