20" kick riser

Cmdr. Ross

Platinum Member
Anyone ever put their 20" bass drum on a small riser? I've seen a few of late & the reason given was to center the beater. I know those with 16's & 18's do, but not many 20 players.
Sounds Like a Drum did a whole video on how this really doesn't matter, but I wanted your thoughts on it.

Reactions: A J
yea ok no never
did they use that in Motown
answered

Motown.jpg

edit: use what you like

Last edited:
I used one on both a set of PDP Platinum and Premier Genista with excellent results. If I owned a 20” bass today, it would have a lifter.

I have a Kick Plate on my 18" Gretsch, which raises the drum by an inch or so. Not a whole lot, but it gets the beater to nearly the same spot as my 20" Gretsch, which is not on a riser, and which might be my best kick.

So yeah, nothing on a 20. IMO it's not needed.

A twenty inch kick does not need a riser.The beater should not hit the center of the head precisely anyway, you get a better sound off center..

I don’t use a riser with a 20.
One of my 18’s sounds good without one.
The other one seems to need it.

Here's a Manx "riser"-I'd like to see someone tie a 20 in bass drum on him. Without a tail how could you tie a beater on it?
manx-cat_0.jpg

Anyone ever put their 20" bass drum on a small riser? I've seen a few of late & the reason given was to center the beater. I know those with 16's & 18's do, but not many 20 players.
Sounds Like a Drum did a whole video on how this really doesn't matter, but I wanted your thoughts on it.

Over the years, I've become a "20 inch kinda guy". I currently own three 20" bass drums and one 22". I'm no pro drummer but, here are my thoughts:

I have never used a riser on any 20" kick. The drum sounds just fine with the beater striking a bit high on the head. The "OCD" side of me would actually prefer to strike perfectly in the center of the head, but I don't want to have the extra hassle of a riser and don't want to throw off my pedal by adjusting the length of the beater shaft.

A riser kinda defeats the purpose of having a smaller kick. It's another piece of stuff to carry, and if you leave it attached to the drum, the drum won't fit in a 20" case. Definitely a "first world problem"! :)

for what it's worth, I use the Tama HP50 pedal, which is adjustable. I've used it on an 18", 20", a 22" and a 24" kick. No riser needed. I think it's an awesome pedal.

yea ok no never
did they use that in Motown
answered

View attachment 131669

edit: use what you like
Sorry, I have NO clue what you’re trying to say here.
Motown what? Was this a kit used during that time?

To the others: Thank you for the input. I just completed the 20” build (I’ll update the “Damn Wrap” thread) and coincidentally I started seeing players with a rider on that very size.
Weird.

I plan to leave it alone as some have said, it’s just another thing to carry and hassle with. 👍🏻

Reactions: A J
Sorry, I have NO clue what you’re trying to say here.
Sorry about that!
the thought of a lift on a 20"
wasn't even a thought
and they did "ok"
Those are some of the drums from the Motown studio bitd/ no lift/
they made all those Hits

Last edited:
center the beater.
number 3 I hate to say it but
But I've been told the center of the drum is the deadest spot there is.
I understand some can and some want to work with the dead center
but I don't know if dead center is such a desirable spot on a bass or any drum to be..
So if that's the purpose of a lift don't think you need it..
unless there's some specific purpose like dampening/deadening the tone

Last edited:
number 3 I hate to say it but
But I've been told the center of the drum is the deadest spot there is.
I understand some can and some want to work with the dead center
but I don't know if dead center is such a desirable spot on a bass or any drum to be..
So if that's the purpose of a lift don't think you need it..
unless there's some specific purpose like dampening/deadening the tone
Got it.
Thanks for clearing it up. 🤘

• Smile
Reactions: jda
yea SOrry about that Commander : )

Yes, I use a Evans/Dixson riser with my 20" Gretsch kick and I love it. The drum sounds great, the beater hits precisely where I want it to and the bass drum hoop is blemish-free since nothing touches it. I am completely satisfied.
Small (shameless) plug: I have a Dixon drum lift for sale for anyone interested, I barely used it

I don't use a lift on my 20 or 18's. I did on a 16" bass drum I used to have though.

I went with a 20" as my go-to size partly of ergonomics...I sure don't want to mess that up by lifting it higher.

I don't use a lift on my 20 or 18's. I did on a 16" bass drum I used to have though.

I went with a 20" as my go-to size partly of ergonomics...I sure don't want to mess that up by lifting it higher.
Good point. I bought one to use with other smaller "foot toms" I plan to build just to see how it works out. I've had 20-inchers before & didn't use one then.
Thanks for all the input.

Back