Would you gig with a "bad" band?

man, how do people do this? I would never in my life commit to a show without having practiced a lot before it. This seems to be common practice in the cover bands scene around here.
It’s not for everyone. But if you have a set list beforehand, you can prepare enough to where you don’t clam too much. Or in the case of a lot of my gigs, no set list beforehand but it’s all songs everyone in the circle knows for the most part. And unlike at contests, you won’t be graded by every little mistake, so no problem.

'Bad' is somewhat subjective and hard to define. At odds with your own values might be more correct?
I've played with bad musicians and bad bands - at odds with my own creative values.
It really comes down to what you get out of it.
You might play substandard music if...
1) It is a stepping stone to something better, gaining experience and or local exposure, meeting people.
2) It is income and you need or want the money.
3) It keeps you playing, with the alternative sitting at home doing nothing or maybe practising on your own.
4) You just enjoying playing, at any level.
I've experienced all of the above at any given time. Only you know what you want in your life and what things you are prepared to compromise on.
At odds with my values means that they are good but does music I don’t want to play. But sometimes, bad is bad.

man, how do people do this? I would never in my life commit to a show without having practiced a lot before it. This seems to be common practice in the cover bands scene around here.

The band I joined in 2006 that got me into playing were offered a gig before we'd fully rehearsed our set. However it wasn't at ridiculously short notice and it provided "the boot up the behind" (as it was described in the gig review by the guy who booked us) to "focus" on getting ready. To be fair we were all sensible enough to be able to focus anyway but having that date and a countdown clock can turn a band from a rehearsing entity into a gigging one.
If I was playing songs I knew and had played before I suppose I could pitch up and gig but I wouldn't want to, I know how much tighter things feel when a few gigs are strung together and I prefer that feeling to the one of flailing around in the dark, this is probably as much a reflection on my ability as anything else though.

Reading through the serious replies (and having a good laugh at the less serious ones hehe) made me think. I don't make a living with drumming (and not sure if i would want to anyway), but if i would i might have a different approach to this. Depending on how bad the band is, but money is money if i would make a living. Ok, having said that... if it would be really bad i might think about how it could effect my reputation, but on the other hand... nothing moves faster than bad press haha and talk is talk.

I did pass once or twice on a gig. I remember 8 or 9 years ago that some coworkers (2 who just started playing bass and guitar) asked if i was interested in doing 2 or 3 songs during a department party. Sure, i was game for that and asked what they had in mind. Just a few acoustic songs, so i asked if they would play via a PA system and i'd could bring my electric kit to avoid volume issues etc. Got a somewhat condescending reply to lower my expectations and not to approach it like a stadium gig and act like a pro etc.

Noped out right away; don't have a high standard, but if I'm not taking seriously I'm out. Guy who asked me went on vacation for 4 weeks, so rehearing was out of the option. Few days for the event i got asked again if i had stage fright playing in front of coworkers, but just said I'm not going to play on a stage with no rehearsals or plan whatsoever. Me and another coworker played our instruments for many years and we could already see the embarrassment happening on stage with the other two not having rehearsed or any band experience at all. Anway... /rant :p

I'd be surprised if those "Gigs" are for real. I, too played in a band that had a guitar player who was fair in ability but hardly learned our tunes and was horribly disorganized for gigs. Half the time he didn't even remember what key the songs were in. It's a pretty bad situation when you have to ask the drummer the key for a particular song. This guy was always talking about connections he had at local bars and restaurants and all of the gigs were going to get. Those gigs never transpired. I believe he was just trying to increase his value to the band with the possibility of paying jobs.

If your guitar player shows some self-awareness of their current ability, then there is hope that things will get better. If not, then it's Ok to move on (and get the email / phone numbers of the other musicians in the group).

Saying "No" is also hard, by the way - and comes with some guilt. In the end you will do the right thing for you - best of luck with this difficult decision.

The situations can differ. Sometimes the band has been established already, and maybe they just need a sub for one show, or maybe someone quit or got fired, but gigs were already on the calendar. It can be any number of things. I have done many many shows with little to no rehearsal. A few of them I had only met the band when I showed up for soundcheck. They don't always go south, it really depends on the professionalism of the members. If everyone is well rounded, and did their homework there's no issues.
I got a different take, I was the substitute drummer for a covers band, we practiced about 2 times before the gig (around 30 songs), the band leader didn't take too many breaks so we ran out of music sooner than expected. No problem he said let's just play (insert song I don't know here), I probably played (no idea how badly) about 10 to 15 songs I didn't know. (I must have done alright because the rest of the band seemed happy).

I got a different take, I was the substitute drummer for a covers band, we practiced about 2 times before the gig (around 30 songs), the band leader didn't take too many breaks so we ran out of music sooner than expected. No problem he said let's just play (insert song I don't know here), I probably played (no idea how badly) about 10 to 15 songs I didn't know. (I must have done alright because the rest of the band seemed happy).

that was the first 2 years of my country band...I really don't know how I kept the gig honestly. I just played 2 step or shuffle beats and hoped for the best

Not on purpose. If it was a situation of walking in on it and committing to play... Ok. If this was a rehearsal and you find out then, I’m not coming back.
I’m 65 and no longer want or need the aggravation.

Back