What are you listening to right now?

One band ill never get sick of, and my favorite rock singer.

This is what I'm listening to right now because I wanna practice that song on my new Supraphonic snare when the weather gets a little warmer. Today in Worcester it was 12 below zero. And unfortunately where I practice there's no heat. I absolutely love my snare it's got such a sweet sounding crack!

Last edited:
Or this weird, delightful slice of pop perfection, which was a big hit in the northeast of the US and a few other select areas and virtually unknown elsewhere else, despite being the only Top 40 hit ever to feature the word "Paramus." I mean, how could that not be a smash?!

WOW! I remember this song, and I'm way up in the NW corner of the country.
Mid 70's? Seems like I was in jr. high when this was on the radio.
Thanks for the reminder. Haven't thought about this one in a very long time.

WOW! I remember this song, and I'm way up in the NW corner of the country.
Mid 70's? Seems like I was in jr. high when this was on the radio.
Thanks for the reminder. Haven't thought about this one in a very long time.
Oh, I'm so pleased! It was released in April 1977. My cousins in New York and my family, in New England, loved it. But talking to similar aged music-obsessed fans from other parts of the country had never even heard of it. I suspect it was also big in Cleveland and Philly.

Oh, I'm so pleased! It was released in April 1977. My cousins in New York and my family, in New England, loved it. But talking to similar aged music-obsessed fans from other parts of the country had never even heard of it. I suspect it was also big in Cleveland and Philly.
Part of the problem was, in the grand scheme of things, it was a minor hit at best and probably forgotten by most. I only remembered it because the lyrics sounded familiar, especially over that "rolling" groove they had going.
Those "story songs" were pretty popular back then.

Part of the problem was, in the grand scheme of things, it was a minor hit at best and probably forgotten by most. I only remembered it because the lyrics sounded familiar, especially over that "rolling" groove they had going.
Those "story songs" were pretty popular back then.

True, but one of the things I love about "Ariel" is that, unlike those other gems, it's not some big dramatic story. It's closer to his diary entry for that day set to a delcious groove, with a nasty honking sax solo for flavor. And those backing vocal "ow-ooh!"s never cease to slay me.

Standing by the water fall in Paramus Park
She was working for the friends of BAI
She was collecting quarters in a paper cup
She was looking for change and so was I
She was a Jewish girl, I fell in love with her
She wrote her number on the back of my hand
I called her up, I was all out of breath
I said, "Come hear me play in my rock and roll band"
I took a shower and I put on my best blue jeans
I picked her up in my new VW van
She wore a peasant blouse with nothing underneath
I said "Hi", she said, "Yeah, I guess I am"

We had a little time, we were real hungry
We went to Dairy Queen for something to eat
She had some onion rings, she had a pickle
She forgot to tell me that she didn't eat meat
I had a gig in the American Legion hall
It was a dance for the Volunteer Ambulance Corps
She was sitting in a corner against the wall
She would smile and I melted all over the floor

I took her home with me, we watched some TV
Annette Funicello and some guy going steady
I started fooling around with the vertical hold
We got the munchies and I made some spaghetti
We sat and we talked into the night
While channel two was signing off the air
I found the softness of her mouth
We made love, the bombs bursting in air
Ariel, Ariel, Ariel, Ariel

"She was looking for change and so was I"? Gold. Ow-ooh.

For today's afternoon jazz, it a new one by Redman, Mehldau, McBride, Blade - Long Gone, featuring the great Brian Blade on drums. Peace and goodwill.

Back