Great art comes from great pain

Those who are gifted enough to encapsulate that pain
into a thing of beauty and are vulnerable to share it are likely going to make deeper connections with their audience.
This should be on Keith Moon’s tombstone.

I believe great art can also come from great joy :)

Interesting.

I'm on board wit dat. So it's the extremes that produce great art, it seems.

Did that really rhyme?

We rarely connect with other's strengths, but we almost always connect and identify with other's pain and brokenness.

Good ob. Why is that? It could just as easily the opposite.

I think it's the inborn tendency to think that we have to compete with each other.

If we helped each other, this place would be very different.

During a Joe Rogan podcast he said that the most interesting and successful people he’s even met had really messed up childhoods. That breaks most people but the ones who overcome it are special people. I’ve thought about that a lot.

I also agree that great art can come out of great joy but there is still some “suffering” or at least a good amount of perseverance (if that’s pain) to get there.

Good ob. Why is that? It could just as easily the opposite.

I think it's the inborn tendency to think that we have to compete with each other.

If we helped each other, this place would be very different.
Who would dare step in between father and son, and declare the relationship abusive? Or worse, having that same busybody declare a good parent bad because they are envious.

Who would dare step in between father and son, and declare the relationship abusive? Or worse, having that same busybody declare a good parent bad because they are envious.

Oh I'm not saying that.

I'm just saying that there is a better way to wire the brain where we work with, instead of cut down, others.

The human condition is that we constantly compare ourselves to others instead of embracing and enjoying who we were designed to be as individuals.

The exercise of comparison and competing with others has been compounded with social media and the pursuit of pseudo fame by many young people today. Many of our younger generation aren't happier, they're miserable from digital bullying and the hollow pursuit of appeasing others.
Those who make it through adolescence fairly unscathed typically have some healthy relationships/friendships; in particular with older, mature adults who can share life experience, perspective and model maturity. Never underestimate your influence on the younger generation. They need individuals with a moral compass and wisdom to show them the path.

DaVinci was a genius. I don't know anything personal about him. I wonder if he too was a tortured soul.
According to Walter Isaacson's best-selling biography, "Leonardo", Da Vinci was a bastard son and as such was denied becoming a notary and thereby a recognized member of the elite, as was his father. None of that bothered him. There doesn't seem to be any evidence he was tortured soul.

The human condition is that we constantly compare ourselves to others instead of embracing and enjoying who we were designed to be as individuals.

The exercise of comparison and competing with others has been compounded with social media and the pursuit of pseudo fame by many young people today. Many of our younger generation aren't happier, they're miserable from digital bullying and the hollow pursuit of appeasing others.
Those who make it through adolescence fairly unscathed typically have some healthy relationships/friendships; in particular with older, mature adults who can share life experience, perspective and model maturity. Never underestimate your influence on the younger generation. They need individuals with a moral compass and wisdom to show them the path.

Truth. And you're right Doug, people are not happier from my observations. My wife is an accountant with a Master's Degree in taxes. Believe me when I tell you that money shows people's true colors. People are way more insane this year.

I believe that the self-regulated media has shaped the masses to be the way they are. Meaning, as a whole, socially unhealthy and motivated primarily by money and COMPLETELY dumbing us down. So we don't get too smart. Being tricked is not something anyone should take ever. If I tried tricking anyone for my gain and their detriment, I deserve to get punished, period. I expect the same thing to happen across the board. Double standards...I can't let them pass without calling them out.

For instance December 2012 was the start of another Great Year. That only happens once every 24 to 26 thousand years depending on who you talk to. I'll let that sink in a moment.

Why was this not like a really big deal? They could have sold so many cars lol. Fear that the world will end was more important to the agenda. It completely overshadowed the miracle of the start of another Great Year. Keep the children in the dark mentally speaking. Fear, F fear. Fear is the primary tool of control, and anyone that allows invisible fears to control them...deserves what they get.

Personal responsibility is so desperately needed now. The masses will believe anything you feed them, pet rock, 'nuff said. The shame is it could go the other way, but then we couldn't be controlled as willingly as we are.

Well, there's some pain. OK I feel better now.

There should be plenty of great art coming out in the next few years I suspect.

Last edited:
There are more than a few examples of great art coming from tortured souls, Van Gogh and Beethoven to name but two. I believe great art can also come from having experienced both the heights of joy and the depth of despair.

There are more than a few examples of great art coming from tortured souls, Van Gogh and Beethoven to name but two. I believe great art can also come from having experienced both the heights of joy and the depth of despair.

Right? Definitely something there.

Pain is art's most abundant source

That's why the Jazz, Blues and Country is so great

Right? Definitely something there.

Pain is art's most abundant source

That's why the Jazz, Blues and Country is so great
Joy and sorrow come from the same place. The things that give joy are also the things that bring sorrow and the things that bring sorrow are the same things that once brought joy. Some of the most beautiful, moving music can be haunting in its sadness.

Author Kurt Vonnegut shared an encounter in his life that changed his mindset and freed him to pursue and enjoy his purpose for the right reason:

When I was 15 I spent a month working on an archeological dig. I was talking to one of the archeologists one day during our lunch break and he asked those kinds of “getting to know you” questions you ask young people: Do you play sports? What’s your favorite subject? And I told him, no I don’t play any sports. I do theater, I’m in choir, I play the violin and piano, I used to take art classes. And he went WOW. That’s amazing! And I said, “Oh no, but I’m not any good at ANY of them.”

And he said something then that I will never forget and which absolutely blew my mind because no one had ever said anything like it to me before: “I don’t think being good at things is the point of doing them. I think you’ve got all these wonderful experiences with different skills, and that all teaches you things and makes you an interesting person, no matter how well you do them.” And that honestly changed my life. Because I went from a failure, someone who hadn’t been talented enough at anything to excel, to someone who did things because I enjoyed them. I had been raised in such an achievement-oriented environment, so inundated with the myth of Talent, that I thought it was only worth doing things if you could “Win” at them.

Rob Base got you!

Anyone consciously trying to wrest art from someone by hurting them in any way should be removed from the gene pool immediately.

Im not so sure better art comes from pain...but common understanding of the emotion portrayed does...seems more a statement of the horrid state of humanity in relation to suffering.

To expand a little as the above seems a little sparse...seems 'pain' gets everyone's attention far easier than other emotions. Evolution says this would allow individuals to avoid it and live longer/reproduce.

Time for humanity to get ahold of its evolution path without squashing individuals...but path of least resistance seems stronger than enlightened foresight.

Last edited:
Truth.

There should be plenty of great art coming out in the next few years I suspect.
This February there 7 planets and or an Asteroid in Aquarius, the last time this happened was the end of the Dark Ages and the Beginning of the Renaissance ... Great Art is a Rising Above of all of mona-lisa.jpgof those Miseries .. The Road to Hell is Paved with Good Intentions.

Last edited by a moderator:
Paraphrasing here but George Micheal once said "It's not what's inside an artist that makes them great, it's what's missing" (ie that NEED for approval/ attention/ money/ fame, whatever it is they think will make their life complete).

I get that some artists perform for the sheer joy of it (and course art can can come from a happy place) but the majority of artists would fall into this category I'd say...

Mostly it comes from being really good at making art, and being allowed to get good at making art, and from not being stopped from making art.

Pain is just the thing that makes someone like Van Gogh shoot himself to death-- which stopped him from making anything, forever.

Back