Recent content by rtliquid

1. R

25 or 6 to 4

1 2 3 da4. What is the voicing on "da4"? It almost sounds like something is double-tracked.
  2. R

Has anyone's drumming actually moved you to tears?

There's a local jazz monster in my area. I've seen him with his trio maybe 7-8 times. All three guys are RIDICULOUS, but I find myself just staring at his playing/sticking/chops. Twice now, completely out of the blue and inexplicably, I got a lump in my throat and I teared up. I told him...
  3. R

Piano/keyboard for Drummies

Hi All, I've been playing drums for 35 years, have formal rudimental education, and am self-taught on the kit. One of my biggest regrets is that I never learned a second instrument. I'd like to learn keys - not necessarily to become a "keyboard player" but proficient enough to be able to lay...
  4. R

Yamaha DTXtreme iis battery life

Anybody have any experience with the internal battery? I thought I had read somewhere that they should last a couple/few years. I bought my kit used with the "low battery" (I don't recall the exact wording off-hand) warning. I replaced the battery, and here it is about 13 months later, and...
  5. R

Nights in White Satin

I recently joined a 60s/70s/British Invasion cover band, and I've come to realize that my current ride cymbals don't fit. I need something with a little more wash that can also be crashed. I think ideally what I'm looking for is whatever was used in Moody Blues' "Nights in White Satin."...
  6. R

Keith Moon

How did Keith Moon play? One word ... "OVER"
  7. R

Alex Van Halen

I thought their first album was a game-changer. With Eddie's guitar licks and the vocal harmonies, and of course Alex. I never much cared for them after they got all keyboardy/poppy. I think Alex is a great drummer, but I always hated the sound of his drums. They sound like rubbermaid...
  8. R

Benny Benjamin

Yeah, Benny and Uriel were great. If you haven't already, you might wanna pick up a copy of Standing in the Shadows of Motown. I was recently reading an old copy of MD or DrumHead and one of the other Funk Brother drummers (I think it was Pistol Pete) was saying how they would go down into the...
  9. R

PDP equivalent throw-off? Anyone???

I've been looking for a replacement throw-off for my PDP CX maple snare. The mounting holes (2) are vertically spaced 1 3/8". The replacement doesn't have to be PDP or DW - I just want decent quality and I don't want to drill new holes. Can someone/anyone PLEASE help me? I've contacted my...
  10. R

ID my Ludwig snare?

Can anyone place a birthdate (I'm told 80s-90s) on this? It's a 3.5x13 maple piccolo. If you can't read it, the s/n is 840180. I don't know how to decode the s/n. Thanks.
Back