AHEAD Drumsticks- Update

madjack956

I purchased a pair of AHEAD drumsticks 1 year ago in a quest to releave my drumset of sawdust. I am pleased to report that I am using the same set of sticks today-1 year later with minimal signs of wear.
I play for a least 1/2 hour every single day and if I look hard I can see some marks in the sleeve of the stick. If they ever wear through, they can be replaced for a few bucks.
I weighed these sticks on a triple beam scale when I purchased them, and they were dead nuts as advertised. No other sticks I have VF or Promark came close to proper weight.
I realize most people already have their favorite drumstick, but if you were ever considering AHEAD sticks, I thought you might appreciate a little input.
Merry Christmas to you and yours!
Jack

Last edited:
AHEAD's performance and durability are exemplary. Traditionally a Promark disciple, I switched to AHEAD a few years ago and have been completely pleased with the move. I don't even think about returning to wood. AHEAD's 5B Light Rock model is now the only stick I use, and its lifespan is remarkable. Granted, I'm not a super-heavy hitter, and I almost never broke wood sticks, but AHEAD sticks put on a clinic in resilience. They show minimal signs of wear no matter how long I use them. Their price is more than justified by their longevity.

Last edited:
No kidding? Hmmm...I thought you'd be losing tops and sheaths all over the place. This is good info.

I bought a pair of aheadsticks to use on my electronic drums to absorb some of the shock that I was getting from those rubber pads. They sound a lot different on my ride cymbal than wood tips do and I'm a little edgy about hitting my $300 crash cymbals what's anything but wood.

I bought a pair of aheadsticks to use on my electronic drums to absorb some of the shock that I was getting from those rubber pads. They sound a lot different on my ride cymbal than wood tips do and I'm a little edgy about hitting my $300 crash cymbals what's anything but wood.
Fear not, Lefty. AHEAD sticks are more flexible than wood. That's a big component of their shock absorption. And you needn't worry about AHEAD's aluminum core damaging your cymbals. It's encased in a very durable (but flexible) polyurethane cover. Unless your cover is punctured, which I've never experienced, your cymbals will be perfectly safe from metal-on-metal contact.

I got AHEAD sticks when they first came out in 90s, Matt Sorum sig I believe and then someone gifted the rock model, I broke both shanking on a bell. I would chop the sleeves for raw metal and metal, I guess I was a hard hitter then. I recall they felt good, a more generous bounce than wood. The tip sound was a bit flat. Occasionally the tip screw would screw loose and that’s a sure way ruin gear but I bet they have gotten better since then. Otherwise, fun sticks.

I got AHEAD sticks when they first came out in 90s, Matt Sorum sig I believe and then someone gifted the rock model, I broke both shanking on a bell. I would chop the sleeves for raw metal and metal, I guess I was a hard hitter then. I recall they felt good, a more generous bounce than wood. The tip sound was a bit flat. Occasionally the tip screw would screw loose and that’s a sure way ruin gear but I bet they have gotten better since then. Otherwise, fun sticks.
My son used to use ahead sticks and he would break them. But he was but he was still pretty green on the drums then he's older now and I'm sure he plays with better technique. They were on his Christmas list this year so we'll see how they last with him now. I don't think he has used them for quite a few years.

I got the Tommy Lee models when they were first released & loved them. Went back to wood for a short while & am now back into the AHEAD fold. 5A's are my jam now, but I do have some 5B's & 7A's on standby if the music requires it.
The polyurethane cover is practically indestructible to all but the most heaviest of hitters.

I'll never go back to wood.

My son used to use ahead sticks and he would break them. But he was but he was still pretty green on the drums then he's older now and I'm sure he plays with better technique. They were on his Christmas list this year so we'll see how they last with him now. I don't think he has used them for quite a few years.
Ah, guess I'm not the only one then. I cringe to think how I used to play back then, I was probably a moron. Forgot to mention how much less shock they have along with a bounce, which is a nice bonus.

5A's are my jam now, but I do have some 5B's & 7A's on standby if the music requires it.
I was going to ask because their choices have significant expanded since last I saw. How do you like your cymbal tones with the lighter models or on lighter cymbals for that matter? I generally only go to lighter sticks just for the cymbal sounds to be ultra picky on ride sounds (whether I like playing them or not). As I've gotten older, having a variety of choices next to my regular go to is what I like (rather than bundles of just one model which is used to do)

Oh, just noticed they have mallet tip choices and more tip choices, that's pretty neat.

How do you like your cymbal tones with the lighter models or on lighter cymbals for that matter? I generally only go to lighter sticks just for the cymbal sounds to be ultra picky on ride sounds (whether I like playing them or not).
I found the crash sounds to be a bit more subdued due to the poly sleeves, and side sticking isn't as sharp a click as wood either.
The ride sounds are great as I was a nylon tip player before I went with these.
I'm all about the durability & shock absorption of Ahead. I found after 3 hour gigs, I didn't have the hand fatigue like I did with wood (and no slivers & sawdust on the floor).
That won me over for life.

New to the forums, but this all good info.

I remember when the AHEAD sticks came out, but have never tried a pair. This thread has made me decide to give a pair a try!!

I used these for a short period in the 90's. I never really liked the sound they produced on cymbals but was willing to deal with that if I didn't need to buy sticks all the time. But I managed to break a few fairly new sticks (I'm not a super hard hitter but was playing some fairly heavy music at the time) which defeated the purpose as far as I was concerned so I went back to wood. Maybe I got a bad batch but I don't intend to try again.

I’m intrigued and will try a pair.
New to the forums, but this all good info.

I remember when the AHEAD sticks came out, but have never tried a pair. This thread has made me decide to give a pair a try!!
If you aren't impressed with AHEAD right out of the box, don't give up until you've tried grip tape. AHEAD's handles are metal. They're coated for comfort, but I didn't like them initially. After applying white grip tape though, I was sold for good.

Here's what the 5B Light Rock model looks life after I customize it.

AHEAD 5B Light Rock (1).jpg

I used these for a short period in the 90's. I never really liked the sound they produced on cymbals but was willing to deal with that if I didn't need to buy sticks all the time. But I managed to break a few fairly new sticks (I'm not a super hard hitter but was playing some fairly heavy music at the time) which defeated the purpose as far as I was concerned so I went back to wood. Maybe I got a bad batch but I don't intend to try again.
I would break them also. The tips would come off, and I would chew through the covers regularly. This was mid to late 90s, and I would regularly pound cymbals and drums as part of the live show.

I think I'm going to try them again. My technique is different. My set is different. I dont gig anymore so no unnecessary poundings. Their lifespan will probably be more realistic this time through.

I'm hesitant because they are 6 grams heavier than my current sticks. I know, it's only 6 grams. Its where that 6 grams is located that concerns me. Hopefully I can try a pair in the store on a pad before I decide.

I would break the shaft under the sheath. Probably from rimshots. Every back beat is a rimshot so they add up fast and I guess a hollow aluminum shaft can only take so much. A pair of those isn't cheap either.

I don't play as hard these days either but I just prefer the sound of wood and the Ahead just never felt quite right in my hands either.

I would break the shaft under the sheath.
Every single one I broke was at the taper where the handle ends. It was always a rim shot too. The shaft/sheath/tip would go flying and I'd be left with a handle in my hand.

My snare has since flattened and rim shots are now a choice and not a part of my overall snare sound. This should help.

I'm hesitant because they are 6 grams heavier than my current sticks. I know, it's only 6 grams. Its where that 6 grams is located that concerns me. Hopefully I can try a pair in the store on a pad before I decide.
It might be a challenge to find a music store that will let you sample AHEAD sticks. Each pair comes in a factory-sealed tube, though some shops might have a few demos on hand. You can always call first and ask.

Which model are you considering? In terms of weight distribution, the taper of AHEAD sticks is quite revealing. A long taper, such as that on my 5B Light Rock model, will be more back-weighted and rebound-oriented, whereas as short taper, such as that on the standard 5B, will be more forward-weighted. Otherwise, the grips on those two options are identical.

AHEAD is an unusual company. I swear by their cases, I had recently updated my main kit to be all AHEAD. Water proof with the soft wool inside but what I really liked is how it fits tom mounts without issue with that extra space to fit and they zipper shape extra easy for insertion/removal.

Their hardware fittings looks great, I never hear anything about them thought. Been comparing vintage style stands and they have that too and they are priced nicely. And then they have Bell Brass, solid 1 ply maples, wenge stave snares that really a bargain compared to big name snare of the same build...a left fields offering but they sound great in samples and again I never hear much about them.

Back