Liquid Courage for "Better" Playing?

I can have a beer or a glass of wine before a gig, to ease a bit , but not -just- before. The worst gig I played was in a brewery, I drank a beer from them just before the gig, and their beer was much stronger than a regular blond beer, as I learnt after ! I felt it very quickly and knew I would be in trouble for the 2/3 first songs because focusing was a bit difficult. This, plus the sound problem - couldn’t hear the bass enough - it was a mess.
So never again I take a glass of alcohol too close to the beginning of a gig, and If I do let’s say one hour before, it’ll be a beverage I already know.

I don't really get what you mean. They have more energy because they don't have to setup/tear down? It's difficult to setup/tear while having a few drinks? Sorry I'm not getting it.

Yes, it is harder set up and tear down and drive home after the gig when your drunk or high. Famous musicians with roadies and chauffer's don't have to worry about that.

I play better when I haven't had anything to drink. Pretty sure that applies to almost anyone.

However...in the real world, there are variables. My only perspective is one of a weekend bar/club drummer. Not someone like Bermuda or you others that play much higher profile gigs than me.

I work a 45-50 hour/week day job, with a sometimes high stress factor. Then I fly out of work, hopefully in time to get to the gig after I go home and make sure that the family is set before I leave again. So sometimes having "a" drink isn't out of line, to calm down a bit. I don't do that all the time. And yes, some regular gigs, with regular crowds that we all know, I may have another one later in the evening. Most gigs, especially new venues to us, I won't even have the first one till late in the evening. Never is it from thinking it will make me "play better".

To answer the question, yes, I play better when sober. I'm quite conscious of that fact. And apply it as is appropriate.

Yes, it is harder set up and tear down and drive home after the gig when your drunk or high. Famous musicians with roadies and chauffer's don't have to worry about that.
Obviously if you're getting so drunk you can't pack your stuff up you've overdone it. We're talking about some beers with your music not downing a handle of jack before setup. LOL.

And I certainly hope NOBODY here would drive drunk.

I never let drums get in the way of beer practice.

Just kidding, I can take it or leave it. I do have a rule of no more than 1-2 before a show. This is for the entire band. I had one bass player, who was also the promoter/organizer on a lot of the shows. He would get there early and set up the PA and just drink all day. By the time we were about to play he was so obliterated he would forget lyrics, screw up songs, and just really make us sound/look bad.

Back in the day, I also used to rely on a drink or two before gigs to ease those pre-show jitters. It did help to a certain extent, but as you mentioned, it started feeling more like a crutch than anything else.

I vividly remember this one gig where I decided to skip the pre-gig drink and just went in sober. Surprisingly, I felt more in control, focused, and connected with the music than ever before. It was like a lightbulb moment for me.

But after a friend suggested Try The CBD, I felt even better. It helped me relax without any of the fuzziness that comes with alcohol. It was like tapping into a natural, steady rhythm without any artificial help.

Last edited:
From 16 to about 50 I could do anything under the influence (of about anything) but now forget about it. Nothing I’m proud of. I’ve often wondered if my performance in everything as well as getting my three degrees would have been better if not blotto most of time. Especially BS and Masters I’d mostly cleaned up my act during PhD though I did still smoke a lot. Now driving, drumming just thinking clearly is easily fogged nowadays. When I was younger it helped slow down my brain to think more clearly- least that is what I convinced myself.

Last edited:
There's 1 person who taught me about jams, jam bands and jamming who can get totally ripped in any way possible and still singe your synapsis playing his style of guitar. It's amazing.

When this thread was created it was a me that was re-entering music after 15 years. I was asked by a jam coordinator to be host drummer then. He bought me a shot of tequila the 1st time out.

But I'm a light weight and one drink can impair my timing. So at an informal jam it's normal to have 4-5 PBRs in a tallboy can before playing. The people there will make a judgment on ability at those times of just some drum goofing and so many times I've heard people who see us at a gig playing constructively remark that I must be practicing a lot. Even last night it was said because I played a good set after lots of drinking. No. I don't practice for personal development, just to learn new covers. I come here for the party and to shoot pool. Jamming is just for fun. Don't judge my playing here please.
Last night was an inebriated exception for me, me on a steroid for a cold with lingering nightly cough and we banged out some good tunes. Then it was the ladies turns. My God. What have I done?!

My last bass player is a huge frustration for getting totally wasted every show and blowing so many songs. No more wastedly incapable players like him for me.

Coming up on 3 years sober. I was typically a 1-2 drink before the set guy (although I've also used a bottle of Redbreast 12 as a snare dampener so there was some occasional deviation from that rule). It made me play a tad looser/sloppier, and since quitting my playing has become much more calculated and aware, however it has taken me the better part of 3 years to reconnect with the flow state that alcohol helped me access. I'm an ADHD kid with a touch of the 'tism which has blessed me with a hyperactive internal monologue and to this day, alcohol is the single chemical that has ever managed to quite literally flip off its switch and allow me to get connected.

I cycle month-on/month-off every psilocybe microdose regimen (1 dose every 3 days), and those sometimes land on gigs, but that's so sub-threshold that it hardly counts as a pre-gig substance. Anymore I've learned that the best thing for my body before a gig is a light easily digestible meal 2 hours before, a banana in the green room, 10-15 of a mind/puzzle game on my phone, meditation, a quick jog around the block, and then a cup of ginger tea for the stage.

I avoid getting on my soapbox about it unless the topic gets brought up like this, but quitting is the single best thing I ever did. Tour went from a stressful and exhausting monotony to a ritualistic daily routine, my sleep got better (and thus my focus), and I traded alcoholic exuberance for the borderline spiritual connection that goes with sobriety. Maybe a touch woo-woo for some, but I our instrument has a profound history of ceremonial/shamanistic use and I find that the attuned connection that goes along with sobriety makes me personally feel like I'm giving the instrument the respect it deserves.

Coming up on 3 years sober. I was typically a 1-2 drink before the set guy (although I've also used a bottle of Redbreast 12 as a snare dampener so there was some occasional deviation from that rule). It made me play a tad looser/sloppier, and since quitting my playing has become much more calculated and aware, however it has taken me the better part of 3 years to reconnect with the flow state that alcohol helped me access. I'm an ADHD kid with a touch of the 'tism which has blessed me with a hyperactive internal monologue and to this day, alcohol is the single chemical that has ever managed to quite literally flip off its switch and allow me to get connected.

I cycle month-on/month-off every psilocybe microdose regimen (1 dose every 3 days), and those sometimes land on gigs, but that's so sub-threshold that it hardly counts as a pre-gig substance. Anymore I've learned that the best thing for my body before a gig is a light easily digestible meal 2 hours before, a banana in the green room, 10-15 of a mind/puzzle game on my phone, meditation, a quick jog around the block, and then a cup of ginger tea for the stage.

I avoid getting on my soapbox about it unless the topic gets brought up like this, but quitting is the single best thing I ever did. Tour went from a stressful and exhausting monotony to a ritualistic daily routine, my sleep got better (and thus my focus), and I traded alcoholic exuberance for the borderline spiritual connection that goes with sobriety. Maybe a touch woo-woo for some, but I our instrument has a profound history of ceremonial/shamanistic use and I find that the attuned connection that goes along with sobriety makes me personally feel like I'm giving the instrument the respect it deserves.
Well said, brother! I hit three years sober in February and have a strikingly similar story as you, including the ADHD and being mildly on the spectrum, as well as the sauce being the only thing that ever turned my mind off.

Sobriety has facilitated me becoming a much better player and, far more importantly, a MUCH better human (father, friend, husband, etc…). No way I’m ever going back to the way I was.

I applaud those who have fought their demons; I've seen them bring down some goods friends, and mine came close to getting me about 10 years ago. Still, I like, and drink, beer (and a wee bit of the jazz lettuce), so rehearsals and gigs start, continue, and end with several pints... but no smoke. For some reason, though, I can't practice at home alone with any alcohol in me (and only take a toke about 3/4 of the way through my practice sessions. Go figure.

I was an 'after the gig' drinker and even then it was rare it would be that much. My problem is what happens on days off and that became a bigger and bigger problem to where recently I just quit all together. Someone asked why our profession is the one where its encouraged. Well..our office is a bar! Culturally it's changing. There's sober bars now. What??? Canada just changed its health guidelines to two per week. And even big concerts it seems the younger generation is doing it less. https://thetakeout.com/gen-z-drinking-habits-no-alcohol-at-concerts-profits-1850531153

Reactions: RVC
I was an 'after the gig' drinker and even then it was rare it would be that much. My problem is what happens on days off and that became a bigger and bigger problem to where recently I just quit all together. Someone asked why our profession is the one where its encouraged. Well..our office is a bar! Culturally it's changing. There's sober bars now. What??? Canada just changed its health guidelines to two per week. And even big concerts it seems the younger generation is doing it less. https://thetakeout.com/gen-z-drinking-habits-no-alcohol-at-concerts-profits-1850531153

My 25 year old daughter has zero interest in alcohol, which is such a relief for me given my lifelong struggle with it. 🙏 She’s an avid concert-goer (always a couple to a few hours away) so I’m glad I don’t have to worry about her getting wasted in those situations.

Most of her friends drink, but she told me she simply doesn’t like the taste or feeling out of control. She enjoys being the designated driver so that’s a plus for her and her friends.

Back