Regret of selling gear

My Pearl SLX 6 piece kit in Pacific Blue with a brass free floating piccolo snare, a full set of Le Blonds, counter-weighted 950 booms - God I loved that kit. Sold for a silly price in the mid 90s as I needed the money. I’d worked so hard to buy those drums, there were literally tears in my eyes as the guy was loading them into his car. He obviously realised how much they meant to me and promised to look after them. I do sometimes wistfully wonder what happened to them..

Except for letting go of a Sabian HH Vintage Ride that I could've just as easily kept, I'm actually okay now with any drum gear I've given up either thru sale, trade, or gifting to another player. Everything had served its purpose.

Last edited:
In a fit of desperation to get some bills paid when I was underwater in debt, I sold a Ludwig Pioneer. Dammit.

I regret selling a 6x14 N&C Alloy Classic, Pearl Masters MHX kit, Tama Star Copper snare, Tama Starphonic Copper and a Ludwig LB552T,
A&F Brass and Aluminum snares and two more drum kits not worth mentioning (only a dumb ass like me would do this)

I kind of regret selling a Paiste 24" Giant Beat.
If I run across a 20" GB to replace it though, any regret would be taken care of.

I have a set of Maple Absolutes in Vintage Natural finish.
I think of selling it fairly often, because I haven't been using it.
But every time I pull them out, a little voice says - "Don't do it - you'll regret it." :unsure:

Paiste 2002 15” sound edge hi-hats in mint condition. Factory matched pair from 1978.

Got like 300 for them a few years back when I was sure I was done with drumming (of course that pact lasted only a few months).

WTF was I thinking?

A Zildjian Ping Ride. The one I sold was on the heavy side, and I found it a bit gongy and difficult to open up. But after learning that Phil Collins used one for Abacab (I really like his ride sound on Dodo/Lurker) I'm buying a redesigned (hopefully thinner) one.

My Pearl SLX 6 piece kit in Pacific Blue with a brass free floating piccolo snare, a full set of Le Blonds, counter-weighted 950 booms - God I loved that kit. Sold for a silly price in the mid 90s as I needed the money. I’d worked so hard to buy those drums, there were literally tears in my eyes as the guy was loading them into his car. He obviously realised how much they meant to me and promised to look after them. I do sometimes wistfully wonder what happened to them..
Damn..talk about soul touching. I visualized that scene. I see those drums because Pacific blue was my favorite Pearl finish. That's a 😥 touching story and I'm sad to! now.

Damn..talk about soul touching. I visualized that scene. I see those drums because Pacific blue was my favorite Pearl finish. That's a 😥 touching story and I'm sad to! now.
Thanks man it was a sad day indeed, hopefully it’s still out there somewhere rocking it. I always really liked all the Pearl lines during that era. If I ever found an MLX in liquid amber in the right sizes I would defo go for it!

I had 3 20" Sabian Viennese cymbals: a matched pair and a single. I used them as crash/rides. I sold the pair off to a school, so not too much regret there. But after selling the single, I no longer had a crash/ride that I really liked. I thought the Bash Ride I had would suffice, but it didn't and was sold off. I've since picked up 2 Sweet Rides that I really like, but I'm still looking a 20" Viennese single like the one I had.

Back