No Dog

That is beautiful work. Any time I try to work with wood, I ruin good wood.
A guy I worked with made me a cutting board out of exotic woods 30 + years ago. I still have it.
I didnt use it the first few years it was so nice, I didnt want to mar his work.

This is Maple, cherry and and walnut, and made with the endgrain exposed so cutting on it will take a long time to scar. Most should not be soaked or put in a dishwasher and will last years with a monthly rub down with mineral oil.

Last edited:
That's beautiful Johnny. So just glue-no internal dowels? Incredible glue will hold it all together-but they have some serious crazy glue nowadays. Add a lil more thickness and that would make a beautiful butcher block table.

Last edited:
Don't know if I have said this before, but my Grandpa made (among other things) Grandfather clocks...starting from the tree.
Always respected and admired gorgeous woodwork/craftmanship.

Don't know if I have said this before, but my Grandpa made (among other things) Grandfather clocks...starting from the tree.
Always respected and admired gorgeous woodwork/craftmanship.
No doubt felling a tree, milling the lumber, designing the clock and cutting the appropriate pieces is an art. Props to your Grandpa.

That "start to finish" idea (Tree to clock) is kinda why I like the work I do now. It's not "assembly line"-like. I start with "virgin" product, and finish with a control panel that hopefully does what it's supposed to do.
I don't extrude and form the panel or the enclosure, but...I decide where everything goes...put it there, and then wire it up.

Have been thinking about a DIY guitar, but not sure I have faith in my wood finishing skills. And I am picky.

That's beautiful Johnny. So just glue-no internal dowels? Incredible glue will hold it all together-but they have some serious crazy glue nowadays. Add a lil more thickness and that would make a beautiful butcher block table.
I use Tite Bond brands of glue and they seem to be the choice among most woodworkers. I have not tried Gorilla Glue, but they seem to have a good reputation.

That "start to finish" idea (Tree to clock) is kinda why I like the work I do now. It's not "assembly line"-like. I start with "virgin" product, and finish with a control panel that hopefully does what it's supposed to do.
I don't extrude and form the panel or the enclosure, but...I decide where everything goes...put it there, and then wire it up.

Have been thinking about a DIY guitar, but not sure I have faith in my wood finishing skills. And I am picky.
Go to Youtube and search woodworking or wood finishing.

Back