Does the New Ludwig p88 Throw Work With Vintage 1960s era Ludwig Acrolite Snare Drums?

Chunkaway

Silver Member
Just like the title asks, I need to replace the p83 on my Acrolite and the p88 interests me. I do not want to make the holes bigger, if at all possible. Anybody know if the p88 will work on my 1966 Acrolite?

P-88: 2.5" hole spacing.

P-86: same

P-85: same

P-83: same

Is what I found on the web. According to this, you could use any one of these strainers.

Get more confirmation before ordering though just to double check

I think InDe makes a replacement strainer that fit Ludwig snares as well.

Last edited:
P-88: 2.5" hole spacing.

P-86: same

P-85: same

P-83: same

Is what I found on the web. According to this, you could use any one of these strainers.

Get more confirmation before ordering though just to double check

Thank you. I found basically the same thing, but a couple of people said the original holes were not large enough to accommodate the new p88. The butt plate evidently doesn't fit at all, if those same people are to be believed.

I did need to enlarge the holes on one of my older Acros where I installed a P-86, so I would not be surprised if the same is true of the P-88. Also at that time the new Ludwig butt had the wrong hole spacing. I can’t confirm about the latest version.

I don't think the p88 is anything special, the knob is too stiff on my mine. I have an INDe on my modern Acro which I swapped for a p88 (so I could put on another snare) and works well and probably more of a guarantee fit given it's flexibilty. However, I'd probably get a Dunnett R4L (Ludwig) just for a little extra and much nicer features if I were to do it again and those are pretty flexible too (at least the R class was)

I don't think the p88 is anything special, the knob is too stiff on my mine. I have an INDe on my modern Acro which I swapped for a p88 (so I could put on another snare) and works well and probably more of a guarantee fit given it's flexibilty. However, I'd probably get a Dunnett R4L (Ludwig) just for a little extra and much nicer features if I were to do it again and those are pretty flexible too (at least the R class was)

Hmm....Never heard of the Dunnett model, but I'll take a look. The Inde throw is interesting and something I have heard about in the past. Looks like I may need to do some more research!

The P-86, as much as I think it's butt ugly, is one of my favorite functioning strainers. It's lightning fast, about as lightweight as a strainer comes, it sits close to the shell, and the brass tension adjustment cylinder has a really deep knurl for positive finger traction. I can adjust the tension in probably one half of a second and that's with pulling the lever down, spinning the brass thing and returning the tension. I appreciate a close to the shell strainer especially with wood drums. Drops on the strainer can crack a shell, especially solid shells.

I heard a rumor that they replaced the 2 awful proprietary screws that acted as a hinge for the lever on the P-86. They were tiny, black, allen driven with no nuts. Ha ha. Easily lost forever. A piece of wire would have lasted longer lol.

Mini rant: Engineers....the people that design the things I use for work... I just want to show up at their work and shake them, I really do. Cheaping out on the size of the world's cheapest foam gasket that's supposed to keep rain out of outside electrical devices. I am trying to install a UL listed gasket that's not big enough, (hello UL!) against gravity, on an upside down box, perched on a ladder 15 feet in the air with cold hands and they can't give me a gasket that hangs over a quarter inch on each side? The edges keeps falling into the box, not sealing anything. Puh-lease. Thanks a lot Mr. Engineer. I throw away way much higher quality packing stuff that comes from getting stuff shipped.

Sorry, I had an Art moment there.

To each his own, I'm not a fan of the Dunnett. It's too heavy, and the lever is bent in a direction that I am engaging it in. Not ergonomic to me. Mechanical advantage is reduced not optimized. It sticks out a little too much, it's unnecessarily bulky and it's expensive. The only thing I like about it is I can rotate the lever 90 degrees and lock it there, that's it.

I like Pearl's version of the P-85. Cheap, under 20 I think, it's light, close to the shell. Never had issues with that strainer.

Guru is my favorite with the oversized lever, P-86 next, then the Pearl.

The Trick pisses me off. It does some things good, like the tension adjustment knob. I can adjust the tension without dropping the snares. The Trick still sticks out too much, is unnecessarily bulky, not to mention pretty pricey. But they really ruin it IMO with the lever, the most used part. I can't go from off to on, without 2 awkward feeling wrist or finger motions. My wrist rotates 90 degrees, the Trick strainer needs about 180 to engage. It's the slowest, most clumsy feeling strainer I know of, and I don't really care for the shape of the lever. It's anti-ergonomic. Here's a radical thought, go up and down, not side to side if you need 180 degree lever travel, sheesh! Over engineered in the worst way. Fail.

Bad design pisses me off.

Last edited:
I believe the P88 will work fine. I just swapped out the P85 on my 60s Supraphonic and it was easy, except the butt plate don't fit as others mentioned. I haven't played with it but it seems very nice, super solid and very smooth action.

Supra.jpg

When the P-85 on my LM402 Supra locked up, I replaced it with the P-86.
The P-86 was very easy to install, functions superbly and looks amazing.

Uh oh. Is that for the throw and the butt plate? What did you decide to do?

I installed the P88 throw-off on my 2011 Black Beauty instead, and did not use the P88 throw-off. I could have installed the P88 on my 1988 Supra, but I would've had to make the holes larger, which I was not willing to do. The old P85 on that drum actually works fine.

Back