Kick drum head opinions

yeah the 1 is a bit more open.. I used to use remo til i got sick of re-tuning toms constantly.. i adore AQ :)

Have used the Evans EMAD, Aquarian Super Kick II and now a GMAD, on a 20"x 16 " Yamaha MCAN. I think the GMAD sounds best. Replaced my factory REMO reso recently with an Evans Eq3 reso, which I really like as well. Mics up very well. I use a Shure B 52 knockoff from Carvin, which I run thru a TC Electronics octavizer guitar pedal, which then is plugged directly into the PA, or a bass amp, if desired. It thumps, which is what I want. With my set up, there's no need to buy one of those Yamaha Subkicks, that's for sure.

I was an Evans guy.
But then rediscovered the super kick series from Aquarian.

I don’t think it’s close, Aquarian makes the best sounding bass drum head

What do you guys think of Evans Hydraulics as a batter side head? I have a 20" Slingerland 3 ply bass drum. Anyone used these?

What do you guys think of Evans Hydraulics as a batter side head? I have a 20" Slingerland 3 ply bass drum. Anyone used these?
I haven't used one in so long that I can't really give you an assessment. When I did use one, it was on a 20" Slingerland, and I do remember liking it. I'm thinking of getting a hydraulic for my 22" RC. Right now I'm using a SKII, and I'm thinking the hydraulic will be just a tiny bit more open.

Back