Kick drum head opinions

rocker261

I'm looking to try a new batter kick drum head and would like opinions from those that have used these. I have 22" Tama Granstar Custom kicks, they are birch shells. I've used Remo Pinstripes exclusively in the past, and never tried anything else. I also play hard rock and metal type music. I'm looking for great low end thump, with enough click to project. I do not want that pure click sound with no bottom end. I do want bass from it.

I'm pretty much a Remo guy, so want to stick with them. My options are the Powerstroke P3 Clear, Powerstroke P4 Clear, or Powerstroke Pro Clear. I play very hard, so am really leery of the P3 single ply. But I would love commentary from those that have experience with these heads, have achieved the sound I'm going for.

J-W

I know you said you're a Remo guy, but I highly recommend the Aquarian Superkick I. I used pinstripes prior to them and I will never go back. The Aquarian SK I provides just enough muffling to reduce high overtones and give the low end thump and with a patch and/or the right beater you can get that click that you're after.
Just my $.02 from hard rock/metal guy (see profile pic).

Seafroggys

Silver Member
I pretty much always have played with Powerstroke 4's, either clear or coated, no muffling of any kind, and have been satisfied with it. I did play with a CS Dot once, turned my bass drum into a freaking CANNON, but I had to muffle it because it was too much. And I also had an Aquarian Super Kick II on it for a couple of years, but its too dry, too tight for me.

Probably can't go wrong with the PS4. Although I still haven't found the perfect bass drum head.

lefty2

Platinum Member
I’m pretty sure that my 20 inch kick has a PS4 on it and it sounds pretty darn good. On my 22 inch kick I’ve had an Aquarian super kick one which I have used for many many years. currently I have an Evans Emad 2 which I’m very happy with. also both the super kick one and the Emad have lots of low end , minimum over tones and are premuffled. Out of the Remo heads the ps4 is what I would recommend. I had some high end Yamahas with ps3 heads (both 20 and 22 inch kicks) that I switched out with Aquarian SK1 heads. I didn’t like the ps3 heads they had too much slap and not enough tone.

C.M. Jones

I'm using Remo Coated Pinstripes on my kick these days, but of the options you've outlined, the Remo PS4 would suit your profile nicely. It's quite durable and has excellent warmth and tone.

Justinhub2003

As a guy Who thought he was an Evans only guy, I recently went back to Aquarian Super Kick series batters and regulators on the front bass head and man, what a difference.

After hundreds of dollars of testing, I flat out think Aquarian makes the best Bass drum heads.

Don’t use Aquarian anywhere else but the kick. But man it thumps

I have always been partial to the Super Kick II. I currently have a coated PS3 on my 22" Ludwig and 24" Gretsch and I think they sound great. I haven't experimented with the Super Kick on those yet, but I prefer the feel of it.

J-W

Based on what people here and also earlier have been saying, I might give the Super Kick I a shot. The II was too muffled, too dry, but the I might be more open for me.
I briefly tried the SK II and thought it was too much. I had a good rapport with my local drum shop (when they were still in business) and I went in with the intention of buying SK II's. They highly recommended the 1's and said, take both and bring back the II's when you decide the II was too muffled, and that's exactly what I ended up doing. I haven't even bothered to try anything else, because I found the sound I was looking for (well, they found it for me).
I use no other muffling, other than a coated ambassador on the reso (which might change in the near future) and a small piece of smooth studio foam that doesn't touch either head to eliminate the "basketbally" ping my internal mics tend to pick up.

graysonator

Before switching to Evans, I absolutely LOVED aquarian stuff. I do still have a soft spot for them because they sounded great when I tuned them up. The coating never chipped or flaked. And I loved when I hit my kick drum. I had a coated SK II.

MrInsanePolack

Platinum Member
I'm looking to try a new batter kick drum head and would like opinions from those that have used these. I have 22" Tama Granstar Custom kicks, they are birch shells. I've used Remo Pinstripes exclusively in the past, and never tried anything else. I also play hard rock and metal type music. I'm looking for great low end thump, with enough click to project. I do not want that pure click sound with no bottom end. I do want bass from it.

I'm pretty much a Remo guy, so want to stick with them. My options are the Powerstroke P3 Clear, Powerstroke P4 Clear, or Powerstroke Pro Clear. I play very hard, so am really leery of the P3 single ply. But I would love commentary from those that have experience with these heads, have achieved the sound I'm going for.
Another metal guy with a vote for the SuperKick. And Danmar impact patches. And wood beaters. Minimal laundry in the drum.

That was my kick set up when I was gigging. Plenty of attack, plenty of volume, still sounded like drums. Granted, they were 22x22 and maple, but did pretty much what you describe. Stick a mic in them, even better.

Bo Eder

Platinum Member
I play pretty hard but I like the PS3. It gives and sings a bit better than when I tried the PS4. The double-ply PS4 feels a bit stiff probably because of the muffling ring, because when I tried a regular pinstripe, it gave a lot better.

Question, if what you use works for you, is there a need to change?

rocker261

Question, if what you use works for you, is there a need to change?
That's a good question! It's because I want to know I'm getting as close to the sound I prefer, and am not missing out on something I'd like better.

Which leads to my next question... What would the Powerstroke 4 give me, or not give, in comparison to the Pinstripe?

Bo Eder

Platinum Member
That's a good question! It's because I want to know I'm getting as close to the sound I prefer, and am not missing out on something I'd like better.

Which leads to my next question... What would the Powerstroke 4 give me, or not give, in comparison to the Pinstripe?
It gives you the built in muffle ring, which does a great job of evening out the sound. But like I said, I think it makes the head feel really stiff. I suggest getting both a PS3 and a PS4 and seeing which one you like better.

Griffin

I used to have a PS3 On my old Tama Swingstar. It was a pretty basic entry level kit, but the bass thumped hard with that head.

iCe

BTW if you get a PS3, get patch for your bass drum as well (you know where the beater hits the heads) to increase durability of your head.
Been using clear Pinstripes on my bassdrums for a couple of weeks now, really like their sound!

iCe

Just out of curiosity, what did you use prior to the clear pinstripes? Do you use any muffling?
A lot haha... But the most recent years i had either Evans clear EMAD or the coated EMAD. To me the clear EMAD sounded a bit dull. It did have a nice 'bounce' and full sound to it, but a bit of that basketball sound. The coated EMAD is my favorite version of that since it's warmer sounding, but i replaced it with the clear Pinstripes because a lot of attack and kick was lost when you use the double bass a lot. Clear heads give my clarity and attack so that every note can be heard. Found that with coated heads it sounds more or less like a bucket of mud.

I always have a small pillow inside my bass drums to have a bit of muffling, but it's not a huge pillow that dampens everything.
I also used a clear G2 with a muffle ring years back and on that kit it sounded great. Loads of attack like a bass drums sound in metal bands.