Kick drum head opinions

roncadillac

Try an emad or eq4, it's good for you and your bass drum.

Your statement of "Great low end thump with enough click to project" screams emad to me.

Al Strange

I’ve been a Remo guy for 30 years, but recently switched to Evans for my bass drums...I used to use clear pinstripes religiously (I still do on my toms). I now use Evans EMAD Heavyweights and EQ3 reso’s...I also have small muffling products Pearl/Evans to hand that I can velcro in if needed. (y) :)

Bo Eder

Platinum Member
General question: how often do you change the batter heads on your kicks?
Depends on how much I’m playing. When I was working 3-4 nights a week, I can probably stretch out using the batter head for maybe a four weeks. If I’m busier than every two weeks.

Depends on how much I’m playing. When I was working 3-4 nights a week, I can probably stretch out using the batter head for maybe a four weeks. If I’m busier than every two weeks.
Hokey smokes! Seriously?! I am absolutely gobsmacked. What do you do with the old heads? Toss them, save them for emergencies, donate them?

Bo Eder

Platinum Member
Hokey smokes! Seriously?! I am absolutely gobsmacked. What do you do with the old heads? Toss them, save them for emergencies, donate them?
Usually a dent would happen where the beater hits so I usually toss them. I tried to slow that down by rotating the head to keep changing the beater spot. Lots of gigs I’m not mic’d up so I’m slamming to fill up the bottom. But now I mic up so I can back off and be musical, I suppose. My head-changing is also paranoid: nothing stops a show like breaking a bass drum head. I always carry spares for every drum, but I try to avoid broken bass drum heads to the extreme. It literally becomes break time for the band and audience when that happens, so if the head feels wrong or looks abused, it gets changed.

Auspicious

I am surprised too, 4 weeks of longevity for bass drum batter head.. I was not aware the life span was that short. Especially at the price they sell these bass drum batter heads, very expensive in Canada. A 18" G1 head is about 55CAD + taxes.

On the telephone the other day they told me that, 55$ I said are you kidding me?

Seafroggys

Silver Member
The rule that I set myself when I was 17, if I was gigging regularly (and by regularly I mean once a week) then I would replace the head every 9 months. There have been times when I followed that rule, even though I have never gigged consistently that often (aside from musical runs, where I'd have 8-10 gigs in two weeks, but those are fairly infrequent), but I don't make enough money from music to justify it. I think my current head was put on about 3 years ago on my main recording drumset.

Bo Eder

Platinum Member
What’s even weirder for me is with all this time off, I’ve been playing more daily. And with these Evans EQ4s, they feel like they die on me sooner than Remo heads. So when I receive my new UV2 heads, I’ll put on a new EQ4 and start anew. But I’ve gone nine weeks this time since I’m not in “gig” mode. But I just like what new heads feel and sound like.

Usually a dent would happen where the beater hits so I usually toss them. I tried to slow that down by rotating the head to keep changing the beater spot. Lots of gigs I’m not mic’d up so I’m slamming to fill up the bottom. But now I mic up so I can back off and be musical, I suppose. My head-changing is also paranoid: nothing stops a show like breaking a bass drum head. I always carry spares for every drum, but I try to avoid broken bass drum heads to the extreme. It literally becomes break time for the band and audience when that happens, so if the head feels wrong or looks abused, it gets changed.
That makes total sense, although I'm still kinda stunned by how much you must spend per year on just kick drum heads. (Tax deductible, obviously, but still.)
What kind of beater do you use, and do you use a pad or patch or anything like that on the head?

Bo Eder

Platinum Member
That makes total sense, although I'm still kinda stunned by how much you must spend per year on just kick drum heads. (Tax deductible, obviously, but still.)
What kind of beater do you use, and do you use a pad or patch or anything like that on the head?
I go back and forth on the DW two-sided beater so sometimes it’s felt, sometimes it the hard plastic. But I don’t use a pad because of the rotating the head thing. And the PS3 and Evans EQ4 are both single-ply where the beater hits, so I’m surprised some of you go so long on a head. If you played wide open with no port, you’d hear the difference when the batter head was getting beat up maybe?

Icetech

Gold Member
I played a SK2 for about 5 years and a few months back switched to a SK1 out of bored and wanting something new, the SK2 had a ported normal reso (stock dw) and the sk1 i put a regulator on the front.. both setups work great.. I love Aquarian :)