Best pedal for a large bass drum?

Hello all, I have a project coming up where I will need to use a 28" bass drum. Besides the new Rogers Swivomatic pedal, are there any other pedals that are adjustable for extra large bass drums?

I have 20", 22", and 24" kits and on the 24", I have the beater (a DW5000 pedal) all the way extended, and it's just at the right height. But a 28"??? I will need maximum volume and punch out of this set up, so I don't want to hit too far below center.

Any ideas or suggestions? I'd don't really want to for out $200 for the Swivomatic--

Thank you for the link. I'll have to go home and measure all my beaters... I've got a few spare ones laying around. I can't imaging they'd be much shorter than 7.5", but maybe they are--
I think you'll find most standard beaters run 6.25-6.5". I think Gibraltar and Danmar also make longer beaters.

Necessity is the mother of invention. Build your own beater or spec it out.

Necessity is the mother of invention. Build your own beater or spec it out.

This guy makes beaters out of everything. Here he uses a golfball.

If the OP is even remotely handy, he can do this easily for a one time thing.

I've found this works best for large drums. Light weight, and covers a lot of the head.

Attachments

• CIMG1182.JPG
    CIMG1182.JPG
    207.3 KB · Views: 20
Used market. Was once the thing that all bass drums were around 28. I’ve even got an old 50s pedal somewhere. I’ll check the beater length and condition when I get home. Rogers I think.

Have you tried your 28" with your regular pedal first? I played a 28" for a short time with a single DW5000 with regular beater and made it work. I don't think Abe Laboriel Jr uses a special beater, either. You should try what you have and see if it won't do it. I'm suspecting it will.

My Rogers strap pedal is actually a bit later, maybe late 60s and measures 13in to its fullest height. You’d prob want 15in.

Update - this is your baby. Std beater is 7in (mine, anyway). This one is 8.6in and should be what you need. There are a few other brands that make extra length beaters for various music styles.

Pete

Last edited by a moderator:
My Rogers strap pedal is actually a bit later, maybe late 60s and measures 13in to its fullest height. You’d prob want 15in.

Update - this is your baby. Std beater is 7in (mine, anyway). This one is 8.6in and should be what you need. There are a few other brands that make extra length beaters for various music styles.

Pete

That's awesome! Thanks so much!

Tama HP50 is height adjustable, so you can hit higher without needing a longer beater (which would feel differently)

Also, it's a killer pedal with a lot of adjustments and it's surprisingly affordable. It's my go to.

Tama HP50 is height adjustable, so you can hit higher without needing a longer beater (which would feel differently)

Also, it's a killer pedal with a lot of adjustments and it's surprisingly affordable. It's my go to.

Thank you for the info... I'll check the Tama pedal out as well as the Danmar beater-- the 28" bass drum came in yesterday. It's a vintage Premier. I used my regular go-to pedal (a DW 5000), and it's nowhere hitting close to where I need it to ?

I used a 28 for a little over 10 years. I never used a special beater, or set up the pedal any special way.
Just tension the head to where it sounds and feels the best to you. It doesn't need to hit in the center to sound great.

I used a 28 for a little over 10 years. I never used a special beater, or set up the pedal any special way.
Just tension the head to where it sounds and feels the best to you. It doesn't need to hit in the center to sound great.

LOL yes, you are right... I'm using an ordinary PDP Concept chain drive pedal, and it works great. For some reason the beater height is about an inch and half taller than my other beaters will reach. :)

Thank you for the info... I'll check the Tama pedal out as well as the Danmar beater-- the 28" bass drum came in yesterday. It's a vintage Premier. I used my regular go-to pedal (a DW 5000), and it's nowhere hitting close to where I need it to ?

Forget the Tama HP50 Classic by the way. After spending some time with it, I realized that the highest setting is still lower than an Iron Cobra. So the adjustable height party trick is more about being able to use a 16" or 18" without a riser.

When I was in the orchestra the conductor had to teach me how to hit the orchestral bass drum. Really the kit bass drum is similar to an orchestral bass drum-you use your wrist and snap it so it's similar to a drum pedal fulcrum. If you hit in the center it's most articulate and for cannon shots, outside the center for general play. Now my kit bass drum I always play slightly off center-it can be below, above or to any side. Really the beater length should be set for your pleasure-too long or short can cause problems

Back