Just Being Honest

I am an Android mobile user. So far I am quite disappointed with the new forum. If I'm being completely honest, I think it sucks. I must now manually log in. I can't read the newest post first. I can't select what page I want to go to. I can only see 3-4 threads on the screen now, so in the Drum Gear forum I can't see below Electronic Drums without scrolling. It's not customizable, so it's not user friendly. Yes we have smilies, and a like button. Not a good trade in my opinion. The text is bigger, as are the big honkin ads in the threads.

Here is the part that really bugs me: threads can now be shared on social media. I have divulged some stuff about myself, and my wife, that is no one's business except whom I choose to share it with. Anyone can now join DW, share a thread on FB or whatever, and pick it apart. Words can be misconstrued, sentences taken out of context, and completely obliterated by everyone who sees it. I see this as an afront to my (and your) privacy. I feel as if our little world had just been compromised, and I don't like it one bit. I find this to be unacceptable and am seriously considering deleting my account because of it. People loose their jobs because of social media. I want no part of it.

I will give it some time to see if any of this is rectified. Just know I am extremely unhappy with the change.

As a former long time active user (diff user acct) and don't plan on sticking around here much with this one either - I'm not sure why I'm bothering to post but I will.

This is also 'weird' as well... Why would anyone make profile posts public??

That said, there may be a setting that will accomodate this to be turned off. If not, I'd be unhappy.

Those are odd issues for sure. No trouble with my iOS devices at all. I can actually navigate with much more ease than before. Have you tried a different browser to see if that makes any difference?

..Here is the part that really bugs me: threads can now be shared on social media. I have divulged some stuff about myself, and my wife, that is no one's business except whom I choose to share it with. Anyone can now join DW, share a thread on FB or whatever, and pick it apart. Words can be misconstrued, sentences taken out of context, and completely obliterated by everyone who sees it. I see this as an afront to my (and your) privacy. I feel as if our little world had just been compromised, and I don't like it one bit..

Honesty is also that with every change there will be people who like the change a lot and people who wont..

But, to be honest, the quoted part i am completely not getting..

This forum has never been some sort of private little world..There has never been a difference between being a member or not..Everyone around the world, member or not, has always been able to read every thread and every post..

Then whats exactly the difference that now i can click a button to share a thread on social media, or before i just could copy the link of the thread to paste and share on all the social media i want..?

About the above mentioned profile posts which all of a sudden are public i agree btw, allthough some of them were quite 'informative' to read i have to say..lol..

What was keeping from this happening before?
Nothing. Before it was a simple matter of copying the link of the specific post, then pasting into a FB post.

I’m still on the fence regarding this new forum software. It’s slick, loads pretty quickly, but I can’t use an URL to link my photo library to a post. I figure it’s my error, tho.

Regarding the ads, I run an ad blocker, and it’s active on every site, not just this one. I know the forum bosses get a few pennies for every ad clicked; I guess I’m a rebel.

Regarding new posts, I’m still getting used to the system. I figure in a few weeks/months I won’t even notice the change.

I am an Android mobile user. So far I am quite disappointed with the new forum. If I'm being completely honest, I think it sucks. I must now manually log in. I can't read the newest post first. I can't select what page I want to go to. I can only see 3-4 threads on the screen now, so in the Drum Gear forum I can't see below Electronic Drums without scrolling. It's not customizable, so it's not user friendly. Yes we have smilies, and a like button. Not a good trade in my opinion. The text is bigger, as are the big honkin ads in the threads.

Here is the part that really bugs me: threads can now be shared on social media. I have divulged some stuff about myself, and my wife, that is no one's business except whom I choose to share it with. Anyone can now join DW, share a thread on FB or whatever, and pick it apart. Words can be misconstrued, sentences taken out of context, and completely obliterated by everyone who sees it. I see this as an afront to my (and your) privacy. I feel as if our little world had just been compromised, and I don't like it one bit. I find this to be unacceptable and am seriously considering deleting my account because of it. People loose their jobs because of social media. I want no part of it.

I will give it some time to see if any of this is rectified. Just know I am extremely unhappy with the change.

Please........don't leave. You are one of my favourite members here. I really, REALLY dig your posts and you always have intelligent things to say.

I don't want to lose any of my drumming brothers and sisters because of the new forum.........that goes for EVERYBODY!

You all hearing me about this?

I have a Samsung Note 4 Android phone -- here's where my experience differs from yours - not trying to argue, just trying to help out:

I must now manually log in.
I had to type my credentials the first time. I guess they're cached in a cookie though because I am logged in automatically now.

I can't read the newest post first.
When I click the post title, it automatically displays the first post I haven't read yet.

I can't select what page I want to go to.
I can click the [page 1 of 3000] and then a widget appears that lets me pick teh page

Welcome to the internet. There used to be laws that protected privacy. Computers are the devil and the internet is hell.

Anything you post is available to anyone with access.

I can click the [page 1 of 3000] and then a widget appears that lets me pick teh page

I don't have anything like that, but I can see where it would be useful.
I do see some tabs at the upper right for 'jump to new', 'watch' - (y), 'more options - create a poll' and so on,
but nowhere to enter a page to go to.
The 'watch' option is pretty cool. I've used that on other forums.

Last edited:
Those are odd issues for sure. No trouble with my iOS devices at all. I can actually navigate with much more ease than before. Have you tried a different browser to see if that makes any difference?

I have 2 browsers on my phone, it's the same thing on both.

Honesty is also that with every change there will be people who like the change a lot and people who wont..

But, to be honest, the quoted part i am completely not getting..

This forum has never been some sort of private little world..There has never been a difference between being a member or not..Everyone around the world, member or not, has always been able to read every thread and every post..

Then whats exactly the difference that now i can click a button to share a thread on social media, or before i just could copy the link of the thread to paste and share on all the social media i want..?

About the above mentioned profile posts which all of a sudden are public i agree btw, allthough some of them were quite 'informative' to read i have to say..lol..

Drummers are the main demographic of DW. The world is the demographic of social media. On the old forum, posting a thread on social media took work. Now it only takes a button. People don't like work. They do like buttons.

If it makes any difference, I try to live as off grid as possible without collecting my own water and generating my own electricity. The super easy access for a stranger to put my thoughts/opinions/feelings on social media for all to read really boils my blood. If I want it there, I'll do it myself.

Welcome to the internet. There used to be laws that protected privacy. Computers are the devil and the internet is hell.

Anything you post is available to anyone with access.

I don't have anything like that, but I can see where it would be useful.
I do see some tabs at the upper right for 'jump to new', 'watch' - (y), 'more options - create a poll' and so on,
but nowhere to enter a page to go to.
The 'watch' option is pretty cool. I've used that on other forums.

I understand it's public Access. But how many people accidentally find themselves reading a drum forum? My guess would be less than 1%. How many people read social media? Almost everyone. It even makes the news, nightly.

Please........don't leave. You are one of my favourite members here. I really, REALLY dig your posts and you always have intelligent things to say.

I don't want to lose any of my drumming brothers and sisters because of the new forum.........that goes for EVERYBODY!

Wow, thank you, I am genuinely flattered. I will stick around for a bit as I said to see if some things change. It is a new layout and I will give it a chance. I dig all y'all too, that's the part that makes this difficult. If this was somewhere I went just to get info, it would be different. But I actually like being here. This is the only thing on the internet I do.

....I understand it's public Access. But how many people accidentally find themselves reading a drum forum? My guess would be less than 1%. How many people read social media? Almost everyone. It even makes the news, nightly....

Maybe you'll go viral. ?

I am an Android mobile user, and I don't see any issues, other than the ads are kind of large on my phone.

Though it would be nice if all the stickied threads were cleaned up. Someone of them hasn't been updated in years, and it's annoying to scroll down to just to see the newest threads. But that was an issue with the old forum too.

Another forum I browse for my work/business also recently updated to a new format.
This format is 100x better than the other site is using.

So whatever issues or kinks need to be worked out here, it could easily be much, much, much worse.

Like the fresh new format / interface here but also don't like that these threads can be shared too easily on social media now. Hmmmm.

I'll second that one mate. There's like 3 metal heads on this forum- I need all the help I can get!

Polack- I think you might be overthinking this, if it's on the net, it's in a public forum for the world to see regardless.
I will grant you that having a "Share" button makes it a whole lot easier to directly share threads via social media but will this necessarily translate to an increase in people doing so? I guess time will tell....

As a former long time active user (diff user acct) and don't plan on sticking around here much with this one either - I'm not sure why I'm bothering to post but I will.

That said, there may be a setting that will accomodate this to be turned off. If not, I'd be unhappy.

View attachment 86187

I found this to be a bit disconcerting too- felt like I was looking at people's private DM's (is that what these are)??

Nothing like Social Media to make one Anti Social i Guess.and now i have an " Addicted " Trophy it probably is time to quit.

i try to disable....

View attachment 86187

So far I am quite disappointed with the new forum. If I'm being completely honest, I think it sucks

I will stick around for a bit as I said to see if some things change.....It is a new layout and I will give it a chance.

That's very nice of you - thanks a lot...
B.

It was public before. Google DrumHeads and there will be a link to many DW posts. I found this site years ago when I typed in DW Drums. Looking for Drum Workshop but it also lead to the Drummerworld site. One can copy and paste any info on any page and post it to Facebook, Twitter et. al. Once the info is out there it is out there. As for finding threads, at the top and bottom of multi-page threads is a box with all of the numbered pages. If you want the first click on the first [1], if you want the last click on [54] or whatever. The snare page has 1001 posts with multiple pages listed. Click the desired page.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2019-06-28 at 07.45.34.png
    Screen Shot 2019-06-28 at 07.45.34.png
    9.9 KB · Views: 6
Last edited:
Back