Your Favorite COB Snare

I'm partial to my resonant but sweet-toned Ahead 6x14, and I've played a Pork Pie Big Black brass that was as awesomely Bonham-y as anything named Ludwig.

Last edited:
I have owned Ludwig COB and Rogers Powertone COB and Slingerland and they are all fine drums, but I prefer the black nickle plated Ludwig Black Beauty.
The Black Beauty's nickle plating is thinner than the Chrome plating on the aforementioned snares. I find the COB models are not pleasing to my ear, I prefer aluminum snares like the INDe seamless aluminum or the Noble and Cooley Alloy Classic to COB snares.

My pre-serial number Ludwig 5x14 COB is my favorite.
There's just something about that heavy brass shell and overall design of the Ludwig metal snares that work for me. I had a Gretsch 4160 and currently have the Brooklyn 4160 and both are very nice but the Ludwig always wins.
I have a new Super Brass 5x14 on order and can't wait to play it next to my pre-serial drum.

Not his actual snare drum, just the model that he used. I didn't mean to imply that. Mine came dialed in like his. They are really surprising snares that fly under the radar.

I'm sorry, I should've clarified- I'm asking how you know that Copeland's old snare was a Pearl...?

I'm sorry, I should've clarified- I'm asking how you know that Copeland's old snare was a Pearl...?

There's a thread and video here that explains it. It is NOT a Jupiter. The B4514 has a the normal "Gladstone" type strainer. The Jupiter had a parallel action strainer with the rods going through the inside of the drum. That's the big difference, but it's the name you'll see come up when researching this.

On this Mike Dolbear video, Stewart Copeland is showing the instruments around his studio, and he displays "the" snare. It looks an awful lot like a Pearl Jupiter. Check it out- it's about 2 minutes into the video.

http://www.drumforum.org/threads/stewart-copeland-and-his-cob-pearl-jupiter.80139/

I want a giant room like that, but filled with nothing but drum kits. Cymbals and gear on every kit too, so I wouldn't have to swap every time I sat down at a new kit.

A kit for every mood! I can dream. What's it like Bo? lol.

Attachments

• C701795A-D9E8-4497-9188-64D94F159570.jpeg
    C701795A-D9E8-4497-9188-64D94F159570.jpeg
    312.4 KB · Views: 123
I want a giant room like that, but filled with nothing but drum kits. Cymbals and gear on every kit too, so I wouldn't have to swap every time I sat down at a new kit.

A kit for every mood! I can dream. What's it like Bo? lol.

It's nice. But I usually have only one set-up at a time. The others are stored and waiting to be played. Copeland's room is his music production studio. I'd love that. He's wired for sound and video in there too.

Ludwig COB Super 400, with Ludwig batters and 12 strand wires. heads not screwed down too tight. Yeah Baby!

Attachments

• P1011645.jpg
    P1011645.jpg
    169.2 KB · Views: 111
Always lusted after the early models of the Premier 2000, circa 1967. They switched over to Alum shortly after.
I had a 1968 Premier HiFi COB that was a sweet as they get. Unfortunately a guy offered me twice what I paid for it and I let it go. I regret it to this day.

Attachments

• Premier 60s COB HiFi 1.jpg
    Premier 60s COB HiFi 1.jpg
    201.6 KB · Views: 3
I bought a new (in 1984) Gretsch 5x14" COB that was an amazing drum. Don't remember the model number, but wish I still had it. (y)

Curious Doug...does it have to be chrome over brass and why? Would a non-chromed brass shell work too?

What is it that the chrome does to change the sound? I really have no idea. If I took a brass shell and chromed it...would it sound different than if I black nickeled the same shell?

Can anyone describe the differences in sound?

Plating brass will brighten up the sound.

When I think COB I think Dynasonic. I still have the one my Dad got for me in 1978. Nothing plays like a Dynasonic. I just had it apart for a CLA.

Back