Gear you could afford but never owned

Larry

"Uncle Larry"
A steel snare

Anything Rogers or Slingerland

A gong

A china, swish or pang cymbal.

There's more but these stick out.

I have a bit of a twist on this: gear I could afford, but waited a long time to buy.

The Canopus Zelkova snare falls into that category.

I'd always been impressed with them, but rarely saw them. Pro Drum here in L.A. occasionally had them, but I never pulled the trigger. Until December, 2015, when I bought a lovely 6½x14" drum at Pro. It's a very complex snare whose sound defies its construction. That is, its warm & fat with a nice attack, despite sharp edges, fairly thick shell that curves inward, and die-cast hoops. Normally, a drum with that set-up would be crisp and thin with a high harmonic.

In 2016 I also bought a 5x14 and the very elusive 8x14!

Bermuda

I have a bit of a twist on this: gear I could afford, but waited a long time to buy.

The Canopus Zelkova snare falls into that category.

I'd always been impressed with them, but rarely saw them. Pro Drum here in L.A. occasionally had them, but I never pulled the trigger. Until December, 2015, when I bought a lovely 6½x14" drum at Pro. It's a very complex snare whose sound defies its construction. That is, its warm & fat with a nice attack, despite sharp edges, fairly thick shell that curves inward, and die-cast hoops. Normally, a drum with that set-up would be crisp and thin with a high harmonic.

In 2016 I also bought a 5x14 and the very elusive 8x14!

Bermuda

It’s got a lot of flex due to the fact it’s a hollow log, and also how thin the shell is next to the bearing edges. It’s very clear that they just copied the traditional taiko style drum construction on this, and I wish they’d do an entire set that way. The kick would probably be incredible.

An Oriollo kit. I'm just letting the back finish healing because I don't play if I don't gig. If I do start back up next year I may just do it. I may have to give some things away to make some room though.

Gear I've wanted to buy but ultimately didn't...or haven't yet:

-Bell brass snare
-DW Edge snare
-Pearl 14x5 Brass or Copper Free Floating Snare
-Gibraltar or Tama cage -full 3 sides for double bass kit
-Vintage Slingerland kit
-15" floor tom for my main kit

And many others...

A steel snare

Anything Rogers or Slingerland

A gong

A china, swish or pang cymbal.

There's more but these stick out.

I do not assume Larry doesn't have the income for a $5000 gong, so I'm hoping he fulfills this dream then I can live vicariously through him.

But I guess for me, it's the Paiste cymbals. If it was a high priority for me, I'd have them, I guess. But I think my approach was wrong because I went for Paistes that sound exactly like what I already have. Mondozart has told me that I've already found my sound since it's always the same regardless of gear. So until my head starts hearing something different, there isn't really anything new that I need.

I would love a tenor set of Jamaican steel drums to learn to play, though. Maybe that's where I go next.

• double pedal
  • 'popcorn' snare drum
  • wind chimes

Gretsch broadkaster bop kit
More recently a Carter Mclean George Way acacia kit
Black beauty snare (but after thorough testing I did get a dunnett 2N brass instead...)
A full set of Agop cymbals

At some point I decided to use the money for more family-oriented expenses and diversified investments since I tend to sound the same way on different kit in any case, not unlike others on this forum.

Piccolo snare. Don't know that I'd use it much, if any, but always thought about getting one but never have.

Jam Block. I got no excuse of why I haven't bought one yet.

I've never bought a Supraphonic or Acrolite, despite wanting one and easily being able to afford one.

I've also never replaced my first snare, which was a 1961 Ludwig Pioneer in blue duco. I unwisely sold it about 20 years ago and I've regretted it every moment since. I see Pioneers on eBay and Reverb all the time but I'm saving that for a retirement present. There's many, many more impressive snares to own, but that was a pretty special one to me.

A drum rack.
Ludwig, Dunnett, Yamaha, Gretsch, Oriollo or Pearl snares.
Piccolo snare.
Remote hi hat stand.

I've never owned either a splash cymbal or a china cymbal. I never lost any sleep over it.

I don't even understand the question. I can't afford even half the gear I want.

Wow, good question! Where do I begin?! I'm assuming this is about things that you want to own?

Stainless steel seamless snare.
Solid 1 ply maple snare
A good quality birch snare.
Pearl Elims
Zildjian A Custom pack.
DW 5000/9000
Moongel. Fucking moongel. Can you believe it?
Iron Cobra rubber beaters. I've always wondered what they're like.
Iron Cobra flexi-glide hi-hat stand. Have played on it, it was awesome!
Starclassic maple.

I tried to think of things that are common and not too expensive

A cowbell
A drumset-mounted tambourine.
Any sort of drum riser
Any sort of drum rack
Drum gloves
Any Paiste cymbal
Matching hardware
Drum books or drum sheet music (I do make my own notes/charts though)
Any Buddy Rich music
A practice pad
Any jazz music (I do own Jamie Cullum album, but purists don't count this)
I have owned Chinas and splashes, but I've never owned any other effects cymbal
Any pedal that's NOT a DW (I do have an old Tama pedal that came with my 1990s rockstars, but that doesn't count)
Any sort of double pedal
Any snare that's NOT maple or steel.

Back