Pearl Sensitone Snare (14x6.5)

Have my eye on this snare. I like maple wood and heard great things about the sensitone snares. Also, like the simple finish.

Pearl STA1465MM Sensitone Premium 14 16.5 Inches Snare Drum

Anyone played or have one?

Attachments

• 81h3zdN06YL._SX522_.jpg
    81h3zdN06YL._SX522_.jpg
    29.5 KB · Views: 463
Whoa! That's a beautiful snare, isn't it? Not only have I never played one, this is the first time I've ever seen one. I love the way those lugs look. Those really are a totally new look rather than a new take on an old design. Let us know if you get one. I'd love to hear a sound bite.

I need to check out the Pearl site again.

GeeDeeEmm

Whoa! That's a beautiful snare, isn't it? Not only have I never played one, this is the first time I've ever seen one. I love the way those lugs look. Those really are a totally new look rather than a new take on an old design. Let us know if you get one. I'd love to hear a sound bite.

I need to check out the Pearl site again.

GeeDeeEmm

I like the "simple finish"!! I have heard sound tracks of it, and really like the maple with the sensitone. Such a classic look.

Hopefully someone on this board has played one and can give some insight!

I'm not crazy about the tone of Pearl toms, but I take exception to their snares.

If you like it, you should get it. I never heard any bad things from anyone about Sensitones. I had 2, the brass one got stolen, and I still have a bronze.

If you like the look, I'd bet money you wouldn't be disappointed with this snare.

I played on one in the store. Snare sounded fine, nice response. I personally find those handle lugs really ugly and would never own one, but that's just my stupid opinion. I've only heard good things from people who have owned them.

I've not played the maple Sensitone, but I have owned the previous version of the 5" bass and played the 5" aluminium shells. They are solid drums and have great sound. The aluminium one is basically a Supra/Acrolite with a better throwoff. As LArry said, I prefer Pearl's snares to anything else they do. If you have the money for a new Sensitone model, go for it; otherwise, you might find a model from the previous Sensitone line going for clearance prices if you're lucky.

If you have the money for a new Sensitone model, go for it; otherwise, you might find a model from the previous Sensitone line going for clearance prices if you're lucky.

I agree. Those new lugs are distinctive - I guess it's a matter of taste if you like them or not - but apart from that I don't think there are major improvements over the previous line, which was considerably cheaper.

I could get my hands on a previous model Sensitone Bronze 14 x 5 for cheap. Nice snare, good build quality.

Like others said, I don't think you'll be disappointed. But try before buying, if possible.

Played a thick Pearl maple snare that was my favorite snare for 7 years.
I have a thin birch Pearl snare that I like a lot too. My bronze Sensitone is a ring machine, built like a tank. I like Pearl hardware too. A lot of people slam the tom mounts, but I prefer the tom on a tube than a ball. It's easier for me to adjust on tube. I never had a problem with them.

The 7.5 thick shells they make tune up like a dream, and the build quality on the set I had from 2005 was everything you could have expected. I just don't prefer their tone, even though I played a Pearl kit for many years.

But their snares I always gravitated towards. Just as much as Ludwig snares. I had 4 Pearl snares, 4 Ludwigs. Still have 3 Pearls and 4 Ludwigs. A Pearl Sensitone brass I kept as a spare was stolen along with my van in 2011 while I was at a gig.

I still own an original steel sensitone that sounds really good and love the throw off. This is the first time I've seen this new design and let me be the first to say IMO it is rather ugly. Looks like cabinet drawer pulls with drywall screws. Is the threading really like that or is it the photo.

If only it didn't have those lugs. NOT my thing.

Bet it sounds great, though.

I never understood why drum companies make their lugs so massive. I too don't care for the drawer handle look. Way too much metal.

I'd be taking off those lug gaskets off too. I like the principle of the bridged lug, but geez just make it lighter...and attach it as close to the bearing edge as feasible. Stay clear of the middle of the shell. Like the In-Tense lugs.

I never understood why drum companies make their lugs so massive. I too don't care for the drawer handle look. Way too much metal.

I'd be taking off those lug gaskets off too. I like the principle of the bridged lug, but geez just make it lighter...and attach it as close to the bearing edge as feasible. Stay clear of the middle of the shell. Like the In-Tense lugs.

Thanks to everyone for the responses!

Just a matter of taste I suppose! I tend to like the bulkier look! I think this snare is gorgeous, but that is just my opinion.

Hey Larryace, I read your comments and see that your not a real Pearl fan when it comes to drums. Curious as to why? You mentioned you did not like the tone on the toms. What brand and set do you use?

Thanks to everyone for the responses!

Just a matter of taste I suppose! I tend to like the bulkier look! I think this snare is gorgeous, but that is just my opinion.

Hey Larryace, I read your comments and see that your not a real Pearl fan when it comes to drums. Curious as to why? You mentioned you did not like the tone on the toms. What brand and set do you use?

I used a Pearl Session Custom, all maple 7.5 mm shell, from late 2005 to 2008, then for about another year and a half from 2012 to 2014.

They did not suck. I thought they were a little tubby sounding, just talking the toms. I think it was the thick shell. I like the bass and snare tones just fine. I like a thin shell on toms. They are well built drums.

Church Drummer -

Are you going to break down and get one? Come on. You know you want it. If you get one, it will allow me to enjoy it vicariously!

How much does the pictured snare sell for on the street?

GeeDeeEmm

Church Drummer -

Are you going to break down and get one? Come on. You know you want it. If you get one, it will allow me to enjoy it vicariously!

How much does the pictured snare sell for on the street?

GeeDeeEmm

Yea, I am going to break down and get one soon. Its on my to "buy list". I just am all about it right now. I like the look personally. I know some on here do not (just a matter of taste).

Usually $300 - $350 new.

Back