Yamaha Drums

My new SC bop kit arrived the other day; tried it out at the rehearsal studio, great little set.

18x15, 12x9, 14x13, here with MCA 14x6 and assorted Zildjian Ks:

Dutch

Attachments

• Yamaha_SC_Bop_1red2.jpg
    Yamaha_SC_Bop_1red2.jpg
    758.4 KB · Views: 1,938
My vintage Yamaha from 1969, in Blue Ripple finish

20" x 14"
13" x 9"
16" x 16"
14" x 5,5" Steel

Attachments

• Yamaha1969.jpg
    Yamaha1969.jpg
    114.9 KB · Views: 1,893
My new SC bop kit arrived the other day; tried it out at the rehearsal studio, great little set.

Dutch

That's a great looking little kit. My old bob sized one was mahogany. I bet the birch sounds killer.

Here are some Live Customs are played by Dave Weckl at a clinic. They sounded great up close - punchy with a quick decay that seemed more suited to a live band setting (hence the name) rather than soloing.

WecklClinic02_zps5e43d20f.jpg

WecklClinic05_zpsca47826d.jpg

Dutch

That's the first black SC bop kit I've seen. It looks good.

I guess the black bass drum resonant head didn't sit so well with you? All white heads look right on there.

That's the first black SC bop kit I've seen. It looks good.

I guess the black bass drum resonant head didn't sit so well with you? All white heads look right on there.

Yamaha calls it "Raven Black", which has a greenish hue to it under certain lighting. A bit different, but nice.

When I got the kit I immediately replaced all batters, but also the black bass resonant. Was never a fan of the large YAMAHA sign, feel it's a bit pretentious..

Dutch

Hey guys - is there anyone out there in Yamaha land that own or have seen an MCAN/BCAN kit in Caramel Sparkle? Not Gold, it's darker than that. Got a picture? What do you think, is it the best colour ever or just pretty good..or worse?
Not many kits in that colour around....

Neal

Yes, it looks more gold in those pics, agree that its the lighting. If you have one in your sights that's NOS, I would jump on it if you like the sizes and price. Other pics I've seen look darker, if that's what you're looking for. As with any finish, its gonna look a bit different in various light conditions.

Found this Caramel Sparkle pic here on the forum

Attachments

• caramel sparkle.jpg
    caramel sparkle.jpg
    120.8 KB · Views: 1,424
Found this Caramel Sparkle pic here on the forum

That there is my very own Caramel Sparkle snare, photo taken in my living room.

The lacquer finish is absolutely gorgeous, much nicer than a wrap. To be honest, it does depend on the lighting. That photo was taken next to my balcony doors in natural daylight here in the sunny South of France. So the conditions were perfect for bringing out the best of the finish.

It is however a "dark" sparkle, as opposed to a bright sparkle finish like silver, gold, etc.
So, when the lights are to low, the finish sort of loses a bit of depth. The snare suffers most from this as it's obscured by the rest of my kit which is in a natural walnut finish and doesn't reflect light that much. However, a full set in this finish would probably look really nice together.

Agree that the photos on the EBay listing don't give a true impression. The photographer seems to have gone overboard with lighting and used the camera flash to close to the drums.

That there is my very own Caramel Sparkle snare, photo taken in my living room.

The lacquer finish is absolutely gorgeous, much nicer than a wrap. To be honest, it does depend on the lighting. That photo was taken next to my balcony doors in natural daylight here in the sunny South of France. So the conditions were perfect for bringing out the best of the finish.

It is however a "dark" sparkle, as opposed to a bright sparkle finish like silver, gold, etc.
So, when the lights are to low, the finish sort of loses a bit of depth. The snare suffers most from this as it's obscured by the rest of my kit which is in a natural walnut finish and doesn't reflect light that much. However, a full set in this finish would probably look really nice together.

Agree that the photos on the EBay listing don't give a true impression. The photographer seems to have gone overboard with lighting and used the camera flash to close to the drums.

Excellent info, thank you!
It seems that "Copper Sparkle" might be an apt name also...
Neal

Excellent info, thank you!
It seems that "Copper Sparkle" might be an apt name also...
Neal

I've seen a few copper sparkle kits from different companies and I would say they generally tend to resemble champagne sparkle finishes. The Yamaha caramel sparkle is still a tad darker, richer and deeper.

I should have mentioned in my previous post that I bought the snare from someone who was advertising a four-piece set in jazz sizes in this finish. The photos in his add (now deleted) were pretty good quality. The finish looked nice on a full kit, not too overbearing or ostentatious but not too dark either. I think the natural light reflecting off the drums on to each other was just right for the depth of the finish to shine through.

I could have had this same snare brand new in a natural finish but I ended up paying almost the same price for the second hand caramel sparkle model. The Yamaha lacquer sparkles are great, almost as good as the sparkles on the Sonor Designer series I saw during the 1990's which were just awesome and the closest to what I'd consider perfect.

INCOMING !!!!

Well I did it, I have a Caramel Sparkle MCAN Hook Lug kit on the way to me. 10x7, 12x8, 14x13ft, 20x16bd. Demo kit used once at a festival. I will have them on layaway until my Ludwig Classic maple kit sells - which oddly, nobody seems interested in locally :(
I'm going to resist the urge to cut down the bass drum to 14" depth for now. Although if it were 18" deep, I would have no choice...actually, I wouldn't have bought them.

This kit joins my Yamaha family : Maple Custom, Birch Custom, Club Custom, Recording Custom, Live Custom, RM Hipgig (x2) and Rydeen. That makes 9 Yamaha kits. I need an intervention. And a bigger closet.
Plus I'm sure I'll want whatever is released at the end of the month at NAMM. What the hell, an even 10.

Neal

Last edited:
Congrats! I knew, I mean I just knew you were going to buy them! I can't wait to see the pics.

I also have this idea of owning most or all of the Japanese Yammie kits. So far I have RC, Tour Custom, Oak Custom and I'm piecing together a Cherrywood BCAN 'just because.' I have 8, 10 (on the way) and 12 so far. Looking for 14 and 22. At one point I had 4 kits worth of RC's, but have sold off many of them.

I think everyone on here needs an intervention. But, you know I was at a rehearsal today for a new project. We were in the guitarist's basement. On each wall hangs at least 4 guitars. So it goes...

Congrats! I knew, I mean I just knew you were going to buy them! I can't wait to see the pics.

I also have this idea of owning most or all of the Japanese Yammie kits. So far I have RC, Tour Custom, Oak Custom and I'm piecing together a Cherrywood BCAN 'just because.' I have 8, 10 (on the way) and 12 so far. Looking for 14 and 22. At one point I had 4 kits worth of RC's, but have sold off many of them.

I think everyone on here needs an intervention. But, you know I was at a rehearsal today for a new project. We were in the guitarist's basement. On each wall hangs at least 4 guitars. So it goes...

LOL! Thanks BGH, nice to know I'm in good company. But you know I have a bunch of guitars too. Ha!
It will be a while before I have them in my hands but I promise I'll take pictures and put 'em up here. I think my red sparkle MCAN snare will match close enough...I don't really have to have the matching snare, got many others that will do nicely.

Yes, I too was thinking about the doing the whole Yamaha Japan line...but I would have to add quite a few - like Beech Customs, Oak Customs (my Live Customs are not made in Japan), older Tour Customs, older Club Customs, and on and on. Suffice to say...I have the sounds and sizes covered.

I've always admired your RC kits...sounds like you've narrowed it down to what you really like - and piecing together that BCAN kit is a great idea. BTW, I know where there is a 'demo' 15x13 BCAN hanging floor tom in cherry wood for sale & a great price... PM me for for info if you're interested.

Best,
Neal

Ok, well I'm not saying I'd want every Japanese Yammie kit but RC, Tour, BCAN, MCAN, Oak would be cool for me. I don't own any 100% maple kits. So, after I have the BCAN in place I'll have to save up some bucks for the maple. Thanks for the comments on the RC's. They are def my babies, and yes I have my ideal RC kit remaining so have sold off most of the extras. Its amazing what you can find here and there. I bought a mint pre YESS 16x16 RC tom a few years ago for $200 on eBay. The guy probably could have gotten twice that price for it. Its right at home next to my 14x14 pre YESS; a perfect pair as if they were bought together.

I'll shoot you a PM about the 15"

Thanks, Neal.

Bruce

Back