This thread is for all the lurkers

Larry

"Uncle Larry"
Just curious, why are you lurking? It's OK to make yourself known. If some of you could surface for a moment and let me know why you aren't posting...I mean it's all good, your perogative and all, you don't have to do anything, that's why it's called lurking, but I'm just curious why you guys prefer to lurk rather than post. Surely we don't give off the air that you have to be a certain way to post here. I think it's pretty accommodating here. So what's up?

I've never lurked this sight unless you want to count the 2 minutes I spent deciding if I want to join or not as lurking. I guess I have however lurked other sights. Sometimes you don't need to join if someone else already asked what you want to know. Maybe it would help if you defined lurking better. Like how many times do you have to look in here without joining before it's lurking?

Lurking to me means many visits, lotsa reading but no participation.

Maybe it would help if you defined lurking better. Like how many times do you have to look in here without joining before it's lurking?

He's referring to members who have already joined, but only read instead of posting. If you're not a member, you can't post anyway.

You can post as a guest without joining I think.

Lurking to me means many visits, lotsa reading but no participation.

Is it lurking if you've joined and posted several things but have only visited with no posting for years? I've done that too. Like when you forget your password, or if you've said something so embarrassing you don't want them to see your name again. I've done that on other forums.

Shild, you don't count.....you're not a lurker.

Larry, I have a sneaking suspicion they don't post because they can't get a word in edgeways!! :)

Last edited:
Is it lurking if you've joined and posted several things but have only visited with no posting for years? I've done that too. Like when you forget your password, or if you've said something so embarrassing you don't want them to see your name again. I've done that on other forums.

Well you've just joined this month and have double digit posts, so I'd say you weren't a lurker, unless of course you've been visiting the site for the last 4 years and just joined.

Hey nothing against the lurkers whatsoever. I'm just kind of saying, hey we know you're out there, whey not come in and warm up? Duncan has made some nice crescent rolls with jam, and Henri has some fresh coffee.

There have been many members who's first post goes like, This is my first post, been lurking for years and thought I'd finally join. I think this is the group Larry is talking about.

I guess I qualified as a semi-lurker up until a while back. Once I joined, I visited the site many times a week for a couple years, only posting very few times.

The main reason behind that was I was just starting back into playing drums and didn't really have any useful insight, nor did I have any questions that hadn't already been answered by searching the archives.

I guess part of it also was becoming familiar with the cast and crew, learning who I could trust to take advice from and who to disregard (unfortunate). I was never the kind of guy to walk into a room of strangers and start up a conversation. I watch, take it all in, then finally warm up to the crowd. An introvert for the most part. Once I am comfortable, then I'm the complete opposite.

I guess that's why I took that approach here. Even though I felt very welcome, I still had to warm up to you folks! Considering, I have recently been posting more because I have been exploring new ideas while drumming, reaching new ground in my abilities creating new questions that I hadn't had to think about before. I also am more confident about my abilities and feel like I have more in common with the abilities with the majority of the folks here, so I am more confident with sharing.

I lurk mostly.

Just trying to be courteous and not post unnecessarily I guess. Everyone has an opinion. Sometimes I'm guilty of post dropping though. I don't even think I have introduced myself properly.

You can post as a guest without joining I think.
I have seen the odd post where a guest posts a comment without having to join up- very strange indeed, haven't seen that option anywhere else.
As of time of writing, there are currently 26 members online with 253 guests (ie lurkers/ people just browsing) which seems to be quite a high number.
While I don't have any problem with lurkers (who may feel they have nothing to contribute or just couldn't be bothered joining) I do have issues with "one-post wonders".
You know the type: "Hi, we're Band X, check out our new song Y [insert Youtube clip] from our album Z. And don't forget to like our FB page, subscribe to our Youtube channel and give us your credit card details"!!
Not so much on this forum but certain metal sites I could mention are full of the posts above with no contribution whatsoever after they've spammed their material!

nor did I have any questions that hadn't already been answered by searching the archives.

This

Happens to me a lot.

At parties especially

me: "hay guys what do you do when you break a drumskin at a show?"

other party guests: "uh... there's already been a lengthy discussion about this topic about five years ago, the question has been resolved. here are the minutes of that discussion for you to peruse. don't start a new discussion about this. thank you"

This

Happens to me a lot.

At parties especially

me: "hay guys what do you do when you break a drumskin at a show?"

other party guests: "uh... there's already been a lengthy discussion about this topic about five years ago, the question has been resolved. here are the minutes of that discussion for you to peruse. don't start a new discussion about this. thank you"
Damn that was funny- just imagine if real life conversations were subject to "forum rules"! : )

I have lately done more looking than posting, but only because I kinda got into it with someone a while back and really don't want to destroy my image (if I even have one). I like posting on here and talking to people, but don't want to contribute junk or start stuff.

I have seen the odd post where a guest posts a comment without having to join up- very strange indeed, haven't seen that option anywhere else.

I'm sure guests can't post mate (but to double check I'll log out and attempt to post in this thread....I'll confirm either way shortly).

What you're seeing is posts left over from members who have been banned. For some reason their status is changed to "banned" for a day or two and then reverts to "guest". No idea why though.

EDIT: Just checked. You have to be a member to post guys. When I tried to reply to this thread as a guest I recieved the following message:

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:
1. You are not logged in. Fill in the form at the bottom of this page and try again.
2. You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
3. If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation

http://www.drummerworld.com/forums/newreply.php?do=newreply&noquote=1&p=1055070

I'm sure guests can't post mate (but to double check I'll log out and attempt to post in this thread....I'll confirm either way shortly).

What you're seeing is posts left over from members who have been banned. For some reason their status is changed to "banned" for a day or two and then reverts to "guest". No idea why though.
Thanks for clearing that up- I thought it was weird. Other forums I've seen just list their status as "banned" and remain as such thereafter.

Would I be considered an over blab? I mean I've been here for a week, and I already posted almost a hundred times. "I'm sorry!*huff* but you guise are so friendly!"

Well suscty something...
Sixty..

Back