This thread is for all the lurkers

I'm too much of a loudmouth to lurk for long on any site. Sooner or later, someone will say something that I feel needs a prompt and pompous response.

This is the only forum I talk on. I lurk in a number of other music forums - AAJ, HarmonyCentral, bass, guitar, Pearl drummers, weed forums, news forums ... it usually happens after a search, and then I browse the site.

At times I've been tempted to give a drummer's eye view when reading forums for other instruments but I always figure they'd be better off with someone else and move on.

Basically, if I don't have anything to contribute to a thread or what I think has already been covered, I don't post. And sometimes, I'm just too busy to get online, or somewhere that isn't covered by the net. (Yes, they do still exist)

I've been a member of a number of forums for a few years where my post count is in single or very low double figures. Mainly because I refuse to get involved in flame wars and threads full of things like 'U iz all h8rz'. The Pearl forum comes to mind.

I've always thought is was better to be silent and thought a fool then to open my mouth and remove all doubt....

I was one of those that lurked for a few weeks before posting. At that time I felt it was because I didn't have much to contribute. Sometimes I still don't think I do, though I'm just about at 1000 posts after 15 months of enrolling. I still lurk in a few other music forums for the same reasons.

The point serves as a reminder that what we post - whether or not people actually respond - can be read by many people long after the thread is closed.

The fact is that in most forums there are many more lurkers than posters. There are a host of reasons, ranging from a poor command of English to a desire to learn more. In both cases people might read and never post.
Generally speaking a forum will have as many as 100/1 or even 1000/1 ratio between readers only and posters/readers. If you think of your average roomful of people they don't all contribute, many sit silently in the corner and may never say a word.
On the other hand a "working" forum that is convened for the purpose of discussing a particular topic might have 100% of the members posting, because they need to put over their thoughts. So it does depend a lot on the forum and its purpose. This is a big, busy forum and so there will be a high number of readers as opposed to posters. If you think about it, that's not a bad idea otherwise you will have to read through thousands of messages a day.

Don't take any notice of the number of "guests" that you see on the front page. A lot of these are Web bots, for example Google and they register as a guest with the software. So that doesn't mean anything really.

I admit it, I lurked here for quite awhile before saying anything. I did it for a couple of reasons....google kept pointing me in this direction when I would be looking for product reviews or information, so I would inevitably get lost in the forum somewhere reading. It never occurred to me at the time to join, since I mostly don't like forums because the "community" is often not there.
What caused me to join was actually two things: I had some time from some music activity and found myself spending a lot of time here reading, and a particularly nasty member [who has since been banned] was being so caustic I couldn't help myself. I had to say something. Funny thing...I joined and never made a comment on the topic that was the reason I joined. I instead made a pointed effort not to participate in any of his threads or baiting questions.
But now he's gone and things are better. And that's the reason I stuck around. Too many places get ruined by hateful people. They overrun it and drive all the good people away. Not here.

I really like this place. I do have a tendency to forget where I've been, however, and often never make it back to a thread I may have commented on before or been through. Next rainy day.....

I can think of a few people over the piece who I wish had been lurkers rather than active posters.....

I just joined after a long time lurking. I have an e-kit but no time to play anymore, so I guess I just haven't had much to contribute.

I probably lurk more than I contribute and the main reason is that I don't feel qualified to give my opinion on every topic. When I come across a post where I have some knowledge or experience to share, I am not shy about it.

This is a great forum with awesome contributors. I have learned a lot by "lurking." It is open to public and if people find it useful and are interested enough to come here to just read, there is nothing wrong with it.

Every forum has its "pillars" like larryace (and too many others to list here) that keeps it going by frequent interesting and informative posts. Without their time and effort spent here, it would not be the same great forum.

Oh, I know how I could stop being a lurker and pad my numbers. By responding to every topic with "+1" or "^ this" or "I don't know about it but I am sure someone who does will chime in" etc. LOL

Guilty as charged.

I joined the forum a few months ago and introduced myself with the thread ‘If you began learning to play drums again’. I am a relative beginner, drumming for only about a year now, and was interested in the hindsight of you more experienced guys.

I had ‘Lurked’ on the forum for a few months before joining and have done since. The reason being is that any specific technique questions that I need answering I have used the search facility and found an answer of some sort to help me, alongside having a good teacher. Many times I see referrals to other threads and found this is the best thing to do, it saves repeating stuff and there are some really good responses already out there which may not appear again. Other than that I think its maybe that I do not consider myself at a level yet were I can advise or comment, and other beginners may want sound advice from more experienced drummers.

This forum and all your advice have helped me tremendously with my drumming and maybe its time I provided some feedback at my level.

I feel incredibly singled out here and have been reluctant to post.

Mostly because I have nothing really to say. See !?!

OK, but then you could post in the 'random thoughts' thread. lol EVERYBODY can post there.
I don't quite get lurking but I guess its a form of drummer voyeurism.

I told you this would happen to you when you joined. You would eventually break down and post to a thread.

Larry,

Strictly speaking, lurkers would feel no need to join since the only benefit to a lurker from joining would be the ability to post. Counter intuitive I believe. Sorry. I'm not really adding anything of substance.

I will return to my semi-lurkitudinal perusing of the forum. ;-)

Lurking to me means many visits, lotsa reading but no participation.

Change "no" to "limited" and that's me, then.

You should embrace lurkers. They are reading all the info, and getting a feel for the place, before making their first baby steps. Surely that's better than registering and jumping straight in with a thread on a subject that's already been done to death.

I lurk on lots of forums. I've only joined when (a) they appear to welcome new members are generally civil to each other, and (b) I had a question that I couldn't find the answer to by searching.

I'm fairly shy, and not particularly chatty. I prefer to listen. (Except now, apparently).

Back