Things you hate to have happen while drumming

First Post, poppin the cherry.

Things I hate ...

1. People (players even!) touching/tapping my cymbals & stuff. AARRGGHHH!!

2. Having to setup in "THAT" spot where my drumset must defy dimensional-physics to actually occupy the space. I know, not technically while drumming per se, but you all know what I mean :)

3. Hearing "Solo! Solo!".

Boom-Chick-Boom...
Anotheridiot.

i have realy long hair and when i play rock/metal i tend to throw my head about a bit, the problem is when im sweating my hair matts sometimes my stick gets caught in it
it hurts like hell and totaly throws me out for a couple of measures. also the stick dropping things a real pain or when you break a stick, not notice and end up sticking the sharp end through a skin

These are the biggest things I hate to happen (worst being #1):

1.) Sticks sliding out of my hand or getting caught under a rim and then flying away.

2.) Hitting yourself in the hand with a stick. (It really hurts!)

3.) Smashing your hand against the rim of a drum and cutting ur finger or knuckle (causing blood to go everywhere).

4.) Stands or drums moving out of postion during a song.

5.) Breaking a snare head in the beginning or end of a song, which has happened a few times lately (not good!).

6.) People with greasy or sweaty hands touching your drumsticks or playing with them. (I hate that soooooooooooooooo much)

i hate getting my stick caught under my ride as i end a fill on my floor tom and go to crash. flies out of my hand, not pretty. heh, i was jamming with a friend the other day and that happened, but the stick landed close to me, so i was able to keep the beat going as i bent down to pick it up. i felt unreasonably and unhealthily cool :D

I hate when I do some fill, and our keyboardist can not count it, and doesn't understand it although it is in the tempo........
I hate when I hit the rim, instead of rimshot
And I hate, when some of the band player is playing faster then the tempo is....
Yeah and sometimes it happens to me, that no ideas are coming to me...so sometimes I'm not creative...yeah and that's horrible feeling

samthebeat said:
Sweat in the eyes. I sweat like a crooked politcian. It stings and I cant see.
Yea I hate that also. I sometimes wear a headband to prevent that but it still happens now and then.

CVdrummer said:
i hate when i forget to bring my snare to gigs.

it happen twice!

Well that would certainly be a problem! Twice!!! Has anyone ever called you back to gig since doing this - TWICE?!

Paul

man i hate when i get to set up my kit and then the other players move their amps so close i cant get in!!!looks really nice tryin to crawl under stands.or when i hit myself in the side of the head!any time gear breaks,always a pain.also when your playing great and a fight breaks out in front of the club and the crowd rushes out side to watch,aarrgggghhh!

How about when your playing and your tired or not paying attention and you hit the rim of your toms well it might just be me because my practice kit is small...

Past gig this weekend. Played my new dw's for the 3rd time.
Have the case of the sliding hi hat. (pearl high hat not dw of course) I had to slide the thing back to me almost every song. Towards the second set the second night, I realized my feet on the high hat were set for concrete. Turned em over to spikes, did not have the problem again.
Worse thing that ever happened to me in a gig was, I standing up at the end of a song one time to do the what I call "train wreck rolls" and I went to sit back down on the drummers thrown and I had managed to move the thing away from me somehow with my leg.
I went to sit down, thrown not there, drummer straight on his ass. I really felt like playing afterwards...LOL....talk about the noise... I am a rather large guy as well....

CVdrummer said:
i hate when i forget to bring my snare to gigs.

it happen twice!

but i learn my lesson. but while drumming i hate when they mic the toms bad adn they get on the way.

I forgot to bring floor tom legs one time. Had to go back and get em. But what did you do when you forgot the snare?
Mic your own drums. If you have an engineer or sound man, let him check your mics and see if the placement is ok with him. If he does not like the way it is set up, ask him how he prefers you to have it setup. But you be the one with the LAST descision. The engineer or sound man does not have to worry about hitting the microphones or cords. You do.

Here's one. Knockin you bass player unconscious in the middle of a gig. He was leaning in trying to tell me something, (never found out what), near my 16" crash. I (of course) was deep in the groove, prob with my eyes closed, lookin real cool n stuff and just then I noticed that my new Sabian sounded a lot like someone beating somebody between the eyes with a 5b.............which, as it turns out, was exactly what that sound was. He kinda recovered after a few mins sitting down. The crowd all saw it and thought it was hilarious!! Bassist did find it funny after a while.

1. dropping the sticks
2. having my hardware break during a gig
3. messing up in anyway
4. playing the wrong song
5. hitting my hand on the rim of a drum (that has happened to me before. It killed)

I hate when I mute a cymbal crash and the cymbal splits finger open. When I first started gigging I used to have issues with my set. I would set my floor tom like in inch higher and would not know intell I got a sharp reminder from my finger.

I hate hitting myself in the knee, or on my nose (sticks coming up to high on the highhat). When the bass drum slips, or when I have had the pedal slip and go on a completely 90 degree angle to the bass drum so it is virtualy hitting nothing. (only happens on my schools drumset, a fellow drummer had to move it and hold it for the whole rest of the song, I thank him for that) I hate breaking a stick and when people tell me to stop drumming.

I hate hitting myself in the knee, or on my nose (sticks coming up to high on the highhat). When the bass drum slips, or when I have had the pedal slip and go on a completely 90 degree angle to the bass drum so it is virtualy hitting nothing. (only happens on my schools drumset, a fellow drummer had to move it and hold it for the whole rest of the song, I thank him for that) I hate breaking a stick and when people tell me to stop drumming.

Bass drums may slide, heads and sticks may break, but my worst ever experience was a walking throne, with me on it, that walked right off the back of the rather narrow riser.

There was no chance for a graceful recovery, and no way to play it off as part of the act.

I just looked stupid, and it hurt too!

i've hit my thumbs a couple of times when playing a fast beat on the hihat but dont ussually drop the sticks i do miss a cymbal once in a while speacilly at practice after a gig because then i'l just set up the drums really quick and not really pay attention to where everythin is suppost go perfectly lol but i think thats it another one is so,ethin that i think is wrong with my bass drum, whenever i'm doing some double bass with my singlepedal it seems to want to slide off for some reason and its not the pefal i checked... so basically i'm savin some money to get taht pacifit mxr series cherry fade to black wat do u guys think?

Thinking about that really cool fill you have been practicing all week....only to have it become a complete train wreck when you actullay play it.

Back