Things you hate to have happen while drumming

Dr_Watso

Platinum Member
I'm really not a fan of dropping sticks. I've been at this for more than 15 years now and I still can't do those ultra smooth lost-stick-swaps I see people do. I don't usually miss back-beats, but mastering losing a stick and not losing any notes is a work in progress.

This is making me think that I need to actually practice dropping sticks and recovering. I drop em so rarely that I don't get much practice. Does anyone here do that specifically? Practice dropping sticks?

planetdrumz

I've had all manner of the standard drumming mishaps happen to me but the one thing that ticks me off to no end is having to piss like a racehorse in the middle of a set. I do the pre gig shot and beer, but once the playing starts I drink an ass of water and sometimes it's just unavoidable. Can't stand it.
I can attest to this.....definitely the worst!! lol

Mouse

1/ Other members of band get stoned or drunk.
2/ Happened once bringing tears, doing rim shots and one misguided, the butt end of stick catches nuts.
3/ stage lights directed into eyes
4/ People trying to shout you drinks when you are busy playing ( I don't drink on gigs as I have to drive).
5/ singers who are too lazy to even set up a mike stand and mike, never mind you have set up pa, drums, lights as well as loaded-unloaded etc,etc.
6/ singers who try to help, and put all the gear in the wrong places/boxes
7/ singers who drop wind, you have nowhere to go
8/ Happened, singer tells me and bass the next song, then when relaying to guitarist and keys changes mind to another song. I count song in...'TRAINWRECK', singer walks off stage and leaves us to it ( in front of 1000 people).

I'll share this anecdote: One night I set up our large black backdrop that is as wide as the stage, behind the kit. There was nothing handy to mount in this venue so we draped it over two dart board boxes on the wall behind the kit.
About 1/2 way through second set the lights went out on me. The backdrop had come down over top of me when I was playing. LOL

Fresh

Hate having bass drums and hi hats creeping away while playing, or cymbals changing their angle due to bad stands. Poorly maintained kits irk me in general. After one particularly bad experience with a creeping bass drum, I straight refuse to play when the supplied kit's bass pedal can't even properly attach to the bass drum *ends rant*.

A close second for me is when you accidentally clip a drum hoop with the stick while moving from one drum to another--usually happens when transferring from floor tom to tom-tom, or snare to tom when the height is not what you're used to.

Gary Benson

Bass drum creap is the most annoying. It happened one time on CARPET!!! I figured I wouldn't need my official drum rug because the stage was carpeted, but my kick was inching forward. So was my left slave pedal. the worst part is that you don't notice it right away. Then after say, 3 or 4 inches, you're like 'holy crap, this thing is sliding away from me"...annoying.
This is a great solution: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/bensonmusic/stop-the-creep

MikeM

Platinum Member
I'm really not a fan of dropping sticks. I've been at this for more than 15 years now and I still can't do those ultra smooth lost-stick-swaps I see people do. I don't usually miss back-beats, but mastering losing a stick and not losing any notes is a work in progress.

This is making me think that I need to actually practice dropping sticks and recovering. I drop em so rarely that I don't get much practice. Does anyone here do that specifically? Practice dropping sticks?
I was just watching some old footage from The Who (after reading SKF's thread re: Neil Peart on Keith Moon) and saw him tossing sticks around and dropping them most of the time. You can see that he was so immersed in the music that really didn't care; his recovery was all part of the musical mojo that was happening. Really fun to watch him!

I don't practice dropping and recovering per se, but it happens often enough - like when I set up and start playing not noticing that my ride cymbal is in too close or too high. Then the sticks start flying in all directions. The really stupid part is that by the time we're at the end of the song and about to start another, I've already spaced repositioning the cymbal and away we go! Yeah.

Dumb stuff like that is how I get my recovery "practice" in. I gotta say that by now I'm not too shabby at it, though I'd still rather it didn't happen.

Nancy_C

Sometimes, when my band is practicing, I will completely change my part on the verse or chorus (or whatever part) of a certain song. This is usually because after playing the song for four years, I've suddenly realized that I've been playing it incorrectly; or I'm a better drummer now and can play it properly or play the fills up to speed; or it's an original and I simply came up with something better.

At the end of the song, flush with triumph and exertion, I eagerly ask the others, "How did that sound? Did you like what I did differently?"

And get blank stares all around, followed by nervous glances, then, "Um …" and "I'm sorry, what was changed?" and "I didn't notice anything was different."

And I'm shouting, "How could you not notice?? It was completely different! It sounded AWESOME! I f***ing KILLED it! What is wrong with you guys?"

I've learned not to take it too hard. But jeez!

(Maybe this isn't really what the thread's about … sorry!)

GeoB

Gold Member
Large auditorium and the audience starts clapping... the delay is sometimes off as much as a quarter note. In-ear or headsets fix the problem, but sometimes personal monitors aren't available.

Tambourines in the crowd also can be annoying.

Singers who really drag the beat when attempting to evoke strong emotional connections to the lyrics... that's when my inner metronome fanatical beatmaster kicks in. If the Diva is slightly out of breath at the end of the song, I've done my job.

SatNav37

Ah man I've had loads of stuff happen over the years.

Dropping sticks, done that many a time. I now use some gorilla tape as grip so hopefully that won't happen anymore.

Hit my kneecap on more than one occasion whilst doing a fill from snare to floor tom...that hurts.

Once the beater shaft of my pedal sheared in half; luckily I use a double so after the song I just swapped it with the beater of the slave pedal.

Bass drum creep - I learned very soon after a couple of horrible gigs to get a mat. One of the best things you'll buy.

Cymbal stand tilters coming loose - one minute it's horizontal and fine....then the next it's vertical!

More than once I've played a gig with a very small riser which makes it very cosy up there...and more than once the china I had on a cymbal stand fell off the riser with the vibrations!