Who is your favorite drummer(s)

Wow everyone seems to be inspired by great players, imagine if we follow in thier footsteps!! My list of master tub thumpers:

Vinnie Coliauta - Jing Chi (has anyone else heard him play in this super-group with robben ford and jimmy haslip, its amaizing stuff)
Dennis Chambers - Extraction; Greg Howe, Victor Wooten!!!
Dann Ford - Sikth
Terrie Llyn Carrington - Jazz is a spirit (herbie hancock plays on a track or two! brilliant)
Thomas "The Langinator" Lang DVD is flawless quite tech tho... not thats a bad thing!
Mark Richardson - Skunk Anansie "Post orgasmic Chill"
Danny Carrey - all tool albums but Lateralus takes the buscuit
Roy Haynes Jazz Quartet - Out of the afternoon (wow, check out fly me to the moon!!!)
Steve Smith - Vital tech tones (firts song off VTT 1 check out steve's groove fatter than fat!!), GHS.
Dominic Greensmith - Reef so loose and groovy
Dave Weckl - Just got the live and very plugged in album, cor blimey some might say!!!!
Billy Cobham...............red baron now that is soooooooo smooth!!!

I'd love to hear JoJo Mayer doing breakbeat grooves I really like Aphex Twin and Forss can anyone reccomend any listening for Mr Mayer? It'd be greately recieved. Peace.

In order of my discovery of their greatness:

Steve Gadd
Steve Smith

(I can't believe nobody has said these two yet!)
Jeff Pocaro!!
Gary Husband!!

Vinny Colaiuta (sp?)
Dom Famularo
Greg Bisonette (sp?)
Dave Weckl
Carter Beauford
Dennis Chambers

Most underrated current drummer:

Matt Chamberlain. He is a studio drummer, that you can tell immediately who it is playing (if you know him to start with). He also tours with Tori Amos.

Check out his drumming on Sara Evans "Born to Fly" , Wallflowers "Bringing Down the Horse", John Mayer "Heavier Things", and several others.

Bernhard has a link to him on the main page.

DENNIS CHAMBERS IS THE BEST,buddy rich,nicko mcbrain,john bonham,jojo mayer

My all time favourite drummer is Tim Alexander from Primus. He's got a very special feel wich is so unique. He doesn't show off to much, but has tendence to play an impossible rythm and make it turn during 5 minutes without getting boring, just changing accents and intensity. He has the most sensitive touch trough Hi-Hats.

Danny Carey is also one of my many fav, but I think he has done with Tool one of the most elevating song that I actually use like drug to trip me the further I can which is the song AENIMA. from the beginnig till the end, everything is surprising and original but you can't imagine something better to fit in it.
In the middle part, Danny does just this double bass/Toms rythm patterns with such finess and independance, added by the words "Learn to swim" moving around yer head, it all make, lyrics and music, this song in my opinion one of the biggest monuments in actual music.

Other favourite drummers without an unending description:
Michael giles (King Crimson)
Ian Paice
Billy Cobham
Ron Howden (Nektar)
Nick Mason
Idris Muhammad
Tony Williams
Earl Hudson (Bad Brains)
Jack DeJohnette
Cozy Powell
Jimmy Chamberlin
Dan Peters (Mudhoney)
Matt Cameron
Chris "Daddy" Dave
Andrew Small (Massive Attack)
AirwarikiaR (Ulver)
Maik (Nostromo)
Phil Selway (Radiohead)
My drum teacher

It would take to long to list all of the drummers that i enjoy. I could narrow it down to the drummers I am most influenced by, which would be...

John Bonham
Matt Abts (Gov't Mule)
Ringo

Matt Abts is one of the most impressive drummers i have ever seen, he is fairly unknown but is a monster player. Hopefully somday he can join the ranks of the elite on Drummerworld.com.

Other drummers I really Enjoy
Ian Paice
Buddy Rich
Nick Mason (Pink Floyd)
Gene Krupa
Steve Gadd
Jo Jo Mayer
Ginger Baker
Dennis Chambers
Keith Moon
Mitch Mitchell
Levon Helm
Charlie Watts
Mick Fleetwood
Al Jackson Jr.
Butch Trucks & Jamoie (Allman Brothers)
anyone who has played with James Brown

Those are just the ones i can think of off the top of my head, there are countless others

Joey Jordison is the greatest drummer ever. He's awesome on the double bass and just so talented all around.

niela peart, mike portnoy, and buddy rich
i have based much of my technique on them
WOOHOO IM BACK ON DRUMMERWORLD!!

Just a few of my favorites are:

Vinnie Colaiuta
Steve Gadd
Thomas Lang
Marco Minneman
Max Roach
Peter Erskine
Lewis Nash
Dennis Chambers
Horacio "El Negro" Hernandez
Antonio Sanchez
Mike Portnoy
Mike Mangini
Neil Peart
John Bonham
Buddy Rich
Herlin Riley
Art Blakey
Billy Cobham
Rod Morgenstein
Micheal Shrieve
John Riley
Elvin Jones
Bernard Purdie
Dave Weckl
Jojo Mayer
John Blackwell
Virgil Donati
Jeff Hamilton
Rick Latham

DrUmStIcKmUrDeReR said:
oops, i forgot one....Dave Laing of The Joe Sullivan Big Band....(Joe Sullivan is my Father...)

this guy is prob one of the top ten jazz drummers in canada, but he doesnt play in very famous bands, in fact hes only in my dads band....if anyones going to the montreal jazz fest, theyre playin july 8th at 9 and 11 at night on one of the big outside stages. Ive discussed drumming many times with this guy and hes just amazing....also, im known as his roadie since i always get to the shows early and set up the drums for him so that i can have my fun...

I was there on the 6th actually, I watched a pretty interesting jazz trio, Drummer, guitarist, and a b3 ( which was also covering the bass lines ), unfortunatly I was so tired, and had drinken a little too much Stella artois that I couldn't even analyse what was going on near the end of the set...

I wont go into detail on the jazz and early guys, damn there's just too many, i'll just stick to modern. I'd say my absolute top guys are.

Weckl
Gadd
Vinnie
Donati

(these guys just have such incredible feel and musicality when it comes to drums, something very rare. Sure loads of guys have chops, but no-one play's with the pocket Gadd plays with.)

and then...

Portnoy
Jarzombek
Peart
Lang
Greg Bissonette
DiCenso
Garibaldi
Smitty
Steve Smith
Omar
Jeff

(these guys impress me loads).

slingerlandradioking55 said:
My list in no order

Art Blakey
"Philly" Joe Jones
"Papa" Jo Jones
Elvin Jones
Buddy Rich
Gene Krupa
Max Roach
Louie Bellson
Shelly Manne
Chico Hamilton
Sonny Payne
Chad Wackerman
Danny Carey
Jimmy Cobb
Don Lamond
Steve Gadd
Joe Morello
Sam Woodyard
Cozy Cole
Lionel Hampton
John Dolmayan
Roy Haynes
Jay Bruno

just to name a few...

Now,this guy appreciates good drumming :) This is a very good list bro ;)

john dolmayan - system of a down
joey jordison - slipknot
tre cool - green day
john otto - limp biskit
alex gonzalez - mana
tommy lee jones - motley crue
adrian young - no doubt
kenny aronoff - smashing pumpkins/ studio great
steven adler - guns n roses
john tempesta - rob zombie
mike portnoy - dream theater
travis barker - blink 182

Neil Peart - RUSH
Dave Weckl - Dave Weckl Band
Morgan Rose - SEVENDUST
Tommy Lee - MOTLEY CRUE
John Blackwell - PRINCE
Steve Smith - Independent
Dennis Chambers - Independent
Jonathan Mover - Independent
Mike Portnoy - DREAM THEATRE
John "Sugar Foot" Moffet
Danny Carey - TOOL
Willam Calhoun - LIVING COLOUR
Chad Wackerman - Independent
Tony Williams - Independent
Simon Phillips - Independent
Steve Gadd - Independent
Stokley - Mint Condition
Scott RockenField - Queensryche
Omar Hakim - Independent
John Bonham - Led Zeppelin

1. John Bonham-Led Zeppelin
2. Jon Theodore- The Mars Volta
3. Dave Grohl- Nirvana,Tenacious D, Probot

Keith Moon- unique style

John Bonham- great sound

Brian Downey (Thin Lizzy)- underrated but great

Tommy Lee - I love his playing (and his Girls Girls Girls rig is awesome)

Nicko McBrain - great ride technique, very cool set

Neil Peart - no need to say anything

list goes on - Lars Ulrich (his playing on "Master" and "Justice" is very solid), Bobby Jarzombek (f****** beast)
also Les Binks, who played for Judas Priest in the late 70's (his playing on "Stained Class" and Unleashed in the East" is amazing
etc

Last edited by a moderator:
Back