THE GOOD SNARE THREAD

Does anyone have an opinion or own a Slingerland Gene Krua 14X5 Cob Sound King? I have found one advertised, at £200, good, bad? Any opinion would be appreciated.

Tom

That Garibaldi snare is a killer! I work at a drum shop and have had that drum in twice. One new and one well loved. Both were great.

I have one snare I don't know a lot about. Please, if anyone could help.

It's a real old & cheap Japan SUPREME sn. 14x5 Gold flake - six lug, stick saver hoops (wfl esc). But the mystery is the Badge. All of the drums like this I have seen say Lido Supreme. Some font, same style of badge...just with out the lido mention.
It's a great snare by the way - a pain in the #$% to tune, but a great crack to it.

Anyone?

lol, im asking the same question, but im looking for a snare drum that would deliver sharp, crisp sounds suitable for technique practice, as well as a durable shell,(which would be better, a maple/birch/steel shell?) and im leaning more towards pearl and dw brands, possibly yamaha as well, and costs around and below 700/600 us dollars.
btw, anyone ever heard of sonor snare drums? are they any good?

I just installed Tight Screws brand tension rods (on my whole kit--"I just went for it").
These will solve any rod loosening problem you have.
I had a problem with 3 lugs on a 6.5 Ludwig Hammered Chrome snare, and it seemed like these would solve the problem. They did.

I didn't have a problem with any lugs on the rest of my drums--like stuff going out at a gig--but I figured what the heck, try it on the whole thing.
I KNEW if they worked cool on the snare, I'd just end up doing the kit anyway :p.

Not only do they work great, but I have not had to TOUCH the tuning on ANY drum since I got them tuned and tweeked to my liking.

I put them on about 3 weeks ago, and have done a bunch of playing on the drums at home, and one gig (pack up, transport, set up, play the show, tear down, transport, set up again...) so far.

I put the Tight Screws on already played in heads, (almost ready to be changed before I put them on) and they are really keeping the drums sounding great.

Tight Screws are a really great product, and I'm glad I spent the dough to get them on the whole kit.

I'm not saying that others should do their whole kit, but if there's a lug or two that give you a problem, they will work great and solve your troubles.
I'm just nuts, and will do crazy stuff like putting them on the whole kit....but then again, I don't think I'll have to do much re-tuning anymore.....

is this the new tuning system i read that was produced about 2/3 months ago?

lol, im asking the same question, but im looking for a snare drum that would deliver sharp, crisp sounds suitable for technique practice, as well as a durable shell,(which would be better, a maple/birch/steel shell?) and im leaning more towards pearl and dw brands, possibly yamaha as well, and costs around and below 700/600 us dollars.
btw, anyone ever heard of sonor snare drums? are they any good?

A DW will set you back over $1000AUD, most likely about $1400AUD new for a maple 14".

Go have a chat to the guys at Drumtek in Northcoate, they're the best in Melbourne. Failing that, I also like Revolver in Prahan.

For that sort of money, maybe check out the Mapex Black Panter series and see what you like.

I have a custom Jarrah stave being made now by a Guy called Paul Warry who owns Metro Drums in Qld; they do the exotic shells & finishes for Sleishman. Thats setting me back a little over your budget, but its a snare I can't see myself ever getting rid of.

A DW will set you back over $1000AUD, most likely about $1400AUD new for a maple 14".

Go have a chat to the guys at Drumtek in Northcoate, they're the best in Melbourne. Failing that, I also like Revolver in Prahan.

For that sort of money, maybe check out the Mapex Black Panter series and see what you like.

I have a custom Jarrah stave being made now by a Guy called Paul Warry who owns Metro Drums in Qld; they do the exotic shells & finishes for Sleishman. Thats setting me back a little over your budget, but its a snare I can't see myself ever getting rid of.

i was opting more towards billy hydes, which would offer a better price if you happen to know

i was opting more towards billy hydes, which would offer a better price if you happen to know

Yeah, they can be a bit cheaper. However I've had a couple of bad experiences with them (with Gary Hyde and the staff at the Flemington store), namely where I had a faulty Zildjian cymbal that they said they would NOT replace (cracked after about an hour of use with 5As in a blues context). Zildjian customer support said is was a straight-ahead swap at the place I from Hydes, and eventually Gary agreed. It still took them about 12 weeks to send me the new one after that, and it wasn't even anything special, just a basic ZXTi 16" crash (piece-of-sh*t by the way).

I like Drumtek and Revolver, both have great service. Steve at Revolver even sends me cards!

Billy Hydes really seems like the Guitar Centre of Australia.

Yeah, they can be a bit cheaper. However I've had a couple of bad experiences with them (with Gary Hyde and the staff at the Flemington store), namely where I had a faulty Zildjian cymbal that they said they would NOT replace (cracked after about an hour of use with 5As in a blues context). Zildjian customer support said is was a straight-ahead swap at the place I from Hydes, and eventually Gary agreed. It still took them about 12 weeks to send me the new one after that, and it wasn't even anything special, just a basic ZXTi 16" crash (piece-of-sh*t by the way).

I like Drumtek and Revolver, both have great service. Steve at Revolver even sends me cards!

Billy Hydes really seems like the Guitar Centre of Australia.

ouuucchhhhh...i'm heading to the one at blackburn though so im not sure how they would be.
geez, thats pretty crap service. and yes i agree with you on drumtek and revolver, i bought my
roland v set from drumtek, and when i checked out allan's in the city theyre 200 more but the same brand! pretty awesome to know revolver drums take a photo of whoever buys a drumkit and sticks it up on the wall, i was staggered to see such a whole bunch of 'em when i passed by

Hey, is it posible to buy a Spirit of 2002 Snare drum, from Paiste, now? I haven't seen it in any store, I just saw a guy who sales one on ebay... thats all.

Thanks.

Javo.

Im gonna get a new snare for christmas, and im not quite sure which to get. What i have been looking into is:

Omar Hakim Signature Snare
As you can see here
259437.jpg

The tama artwood custom maple snare (with free bag)
As you can see here:
463039.jpg

And how about those Pacific and Ddrum snares?
Feel free to give me other suggestions under 300 $

I'm looking for a Chad Smith type snare, I'am thinking about getting his signature but what would be another snare that sounds similar to this. Also what are your thoughts on the Craviotto Limited Edition Birds Eye Maple and Ludwig Black Beauty?

I'm looking for a Chad Smith type snare, I'am thinking about getting his signature but what would be another snare that sounds similar to this. Also what are your thoughts on the Craviotto Limited Edition Birds Eye Maple and Ludwig Black Beauty?

Just bought a new brass on brass black beauty (brass die casts and tubes with the millenium throw off) from the states and its got to be the most complete snare I've ever played. It tuned right across the spectrum and sounded great. Really pleased I got one now. Tried a chad smith snare in a shop about a year back and it in no way compared to the sound of this B/B

Just bought a new brass on brass black beauty (brass die casts and tubes with the millenium throw off) from the states and its got to be the most complete snare I've ever played. It tuned right across the spectrum and sounded great. Really pleased I got one now. Tried a chad smith snare in a shop about a year back and it in no way compared to the sound of this B/B

awesome congrats on getting the BB. I'm probably gonna get a BB but I have to decide on which on i want. The Ludwig Black Beauty Snare with Supra-Phonic Snares or the Ludwig Black Beauty Snare with Super Sensitive Snares and what size haha.. Any other tips on it?

Probably posted numerous times already, but Ludwig Supraphonic is my current snare, and I gotta say, I'm not buying another one anymore. :D

anyone ever heard of sonor snare drums? are they any good?

yes i have a sonor signature snare, it is lovely.

most companies make good snare drums, but in the end it's all personal preference so you should go to a shop and play some :)

Back