It's official, Dave Lombardo is with Ludwig.

Re: Its official, Dave Lombardo is with Ludwig.

For some reason I find this very exciting! I play Ludwig drums myself, and am a big fan of Dave's. And I play mostly metal at the moment. These are probably all reasons.

I think he realised that Ddrum wasn't going to offer him what he wanted. I like Dave Lombardo and hope that his relationship with Ludwig is productive.

Also, doesn't that kit look cool? I can't think of many other metal drummers who play Ludwigs, and there's something really unique and interesting about seeing him behind a kit of theirs.

Another DDrum artist moves on after only a short time.

I have to add that set to the Tom Angles page. Wow.....

about time he left ddrum. I'm sorry but i don't understand why anyone would play their kits there horrible.

I remember when he was driving Tama. Why he left them, for Ddrum (?) ... I'll never know ... but it kinda stands to figure he didn't stay with them for too long. Now that he's a Ludwig man, he'll probably stay one, for the rest of his life.​

Why do rock drummers' promo photos always look like they want to start a fight? This whole macho-man thing is such a crock...

I swear if I was a renowned rock drummer, I'd never put on ANY facial expression other than my 'normal' (=and, honestly, boring) one. I don't know why most seem to like keeping this attitude cliche up, personally I consider it extremely ridiculous.

I swear if I was a renowned rock drummer, I'd never put on ANY facial expression other than my 'normal' (=and, honestly, boring) one

Maybe that's why you're not a renowned rock drummer? ;-)

Why do rock drummers' promo photos always look like they want to start a fight? This whole macho-man thing is such a crock...

This one isn't an especially macho photo, is it? He's just peering out from behind his kit with some rather unfavourable lighting. I've often thought he looked fairly mild-mannered and friendly in all the photos I've seen of him, surprisingly so considering he's in Slayer, and that's hardly what their brand is built on.

Maybe that's why you're not a renowned rock drummer? ;-)
Haha - you're spot on. Must be 1 out of 1,000,000 reasons.

But hey, we all started out. I heard that there was a time when Lombardo, being a respected and technical drummer, was in the studio and a guy named Gene Hoglan gave him some good advice on doublebass, haha.

This one isn't an especially macho photo, is it? He's just peering out from behind his kit with some rather unfavourable lighting. I've often thought he looked fairly mild-mannered and friendly in all the photos I've seen of him, surprisingly so considering he's in Slayer, and that's hardly what their brand is built on.

The photo's not giving me a friendly, nice-to-see you and by the way my names Dave kinda vibe... But as you say he's in a band called 'Slayer' - I just find all this macho posturing ridiculous especially from musicians who typically, at the slightest hint of a fight and risk of damage to their hands, run for the door (very sensibly).

Thrash metal not really your thing, I take it?

Dave Lombardo has always been one of my favourites. There - I said it. I remember being a teenager and listening to a lot of Slayer. I don't think he has anything to prove to anyone, he is simply one of the most influential players ever to have lived. He is to metal as important as Elvin Jones is to modern jazz - and I love Elvin Jones too.

So I'll give him a free ride on the 'Ddrum Incident'. He was with Tama for the best part of twenty-five years and hopefully he'll help propel Ludwig forward as a company. He really is a very important player regardless of your opinions on the music and he's far better than the majority of his early metal peers.

Thrash metal not really your thing, I take it?

You've found me out... True there isn't a great deal of thrash metal in my record collection : - ).

But here's a semi-serious point. Part of the reason why I don't go out and buy thrash metal (I should - there is some amazing technical mastery on display by drummers and other musicians) is that I can't get past the aggressive and macho image. It implicitly at least advocates violence and misanthropy. It isn't just metal of course - if anything contemporary rap artists are worse in that misogyny and homophobia are often added to the brand. I would never buy a record (and thereby add some minor level of support) to an artist who described women as 'hoes' or 'bitches' or advocated killing gays. I'm too sensitive I'm sure and shouldn't take all this at all seriously. Feel free to flame.

I might start a thread on this if I can be bothered. Which I probably can't.

Back