Irreplaceable drumming items you own

Spence

Please forgive me if there’s already a post like this, but I couldn’t find one.

I read about that Kings of Leon chap smashing his Gibson 325 and how he thought it to be irreplaceable. That got me thinking…what could I simply not replace (within reason) in relation to my drum equipment?

For me it’s my 11 year old 13 inch Zildjian K Mastersound hi hats. I’ve heard the newer ones and they’re just not the same. Moreover, I tried others at the time of purchase and they didn’t sound anything like the ones I’ve got either. What a sad day it would be were I to lose/damage those. Something tells me I’m not alone in my dread.

Anyone else have anything they couldn’t stand to lose in relation to drum equipment and why?

I'd have to say my 20" K Custom ride (from 1991, back before there was a K Custom "line"), and my 20" LP Rancan China, which is the best sounding china I've heard anywhere (far more trashy and explosive than Zildjian Orientals or even Wuhans).

I also absolutely can't say enough about my Roc-N-Soc Lunar throne with the backrest. I bought it a few years ago when suffering back problems (associated with carrying drums! who knew?), and now I'm spoiled - sitting on a beginner round-seat throne feels like torture!

for me, i have a 70's 19" zildjian avedis ride. i think i'd really struggle to find another one let alone then convince the owner to part with it. its a thin ride too which is a nice compliment to my other cymbals.

Yeah... definately I love my 22" Zildjian ping ride... I bought it used like 15 years ago and I would be so mad if it broke. I'm also partial to my remote hi-hat... although it isn't one of a kind or irreplacable, they are a little costly and I wouldn't want to have to play cross-over until I could afford to replace it.
Now I don't beleive in jinxes or any of that mumbo jumbo... but If i've ever seen a thread that made me want to "Knock on wood" this would be it! :)

I was going to start a similar type thread 'if the house is on fire and you can save one drumming item, what would it be'. You beat me to it! :p

For me it would be my Sabian APX 20" crash. I know it would be replaceable fairly easily but it was my first decent cymbal. I love beating the hell out of it. Plus it's mine, nobody else's :)

I guess mine would be my ride also- a fairly common 20" brilliant finish Sabian AA medium. It's the only one I've ever owned, since '91. It has a very sweet & versatile tone, and the kicker is that I get a fantastic bell sound from the tip of the stick so I don't have to use the shoulder. Now, I hadn't had opportunity to try it on others of the same model, but I'd tried it on lots of other rides and never got anything more than a thin, wimpy little ping sound with the stick tip; had to use the shoulder to get a usable sound. I finally was able to try it on the same model in '06, albeit with a regular finish, and it had the same great sound with the same method! So I went from thinking mine was an anomaly to that it was a trait of that make & model, until I also found it earlier this year on a Stagg SH 20" medium...! Hmmm, maybe it's not so irreplaceable now...?

I do love all my cymbals, but I just scored one about a month ago that I am very protective of. I've never felt this before for a cymbal ha ha but I got a Sabian 20" Xplosion crash that is quite literally a perfect cymbal. It crashes, with many different levels of swell depending on how it's struck, it blossoms so magnificently, and it sustains nice and long, plus it rides like a Bently, and has a bell that sends shivers up my spine. It has that beautiful wobble when it's struck and it positively shimmers as the light dances across it's tight lathe lines ummmm...Woe be the soul who inflicts harm to it....

It would be very hard to replace my '65 Slingerland snare. I went through SO many snares before I found this one.

Not as hard to replace, but equally hard to find one that is perfect is my 24" K Light Ride. I have never played one that sounds nearly as good as mine. I think mine is a dud that slipped through quality control or something, 'cause it's totally inconsistent all the way around, and sounds great because of it.

I also have a really good specimen of an 18" vintage A, some 14" vintage A hats, and a 21" ride.

I could easily replace my DW Craviotto snare in the "if the house burned down" scenario, and it would probably be the first thing I would replace.

Thanks for reminding me that I'm too into my gear. :p

Just three things. Well, I guess its 11 things if you add 'em all up.

My Vintage 22" Zildjian CIE heavy Constantinople ride. Nobody makes rides like this anymore.

Set of 4 acrylic octobans custom built by Fibes. The status of Fibes has been rather murky lately. Not sure if they still live or what.

Set of six DW 8" Rata toms. I have the only set of these in existence. Yes, they could build another set, but for what they cost, I think I would just (cry) call it a day and move on.

paiste signature 20" ride. irreplaceable both in sentiment and in literal terms - it was $500

oh and I guess my entire drumset, pearl dx professional...i'm not even sure when they discontinued them, but they did

My 74 Gretsch kit. I will never sell it! They are not the best set of drums in the world, They are not even close to being in mint condition, I have modified them to suit my needs so they are custom. They are the only thing that I own that I am inseparable from. I can't even say why because I don't know! That's just the way that it is! I have owned other kits and I have liked them all. I can never bring myself to sell my old Gretsch's!

It would have to be my drums.. My cymbals and hardware are replaceable, and I guess my drums are but I will not find another set of Gretsch Renowns for $650.00. They still cost about 1400.00 new and I'm not sure my wallet would pay that much. My piccolo snare and my steambent snare. One built by me and one refinished by me. Too much blood sweat and tears. Well maybe not tears.

My purple 8x14 Gretsch Vinyard snare was one-of-a-kind built for the 2007 NAMM show. That I couldn't replace. My Renown Purewood Mahogany kit would be tough to replace. Everything else I have I could replace tomorrow, assuming I had enough money! (Which I don't...)

Here's hoping no one here loses anything precious any time soon!

my hands. i could probably replace my feet (a prosthetic may work in a minimalist kinda way) but my hands would be very hard replace. i guess maybe you could get a transplant but who knows if it would work and without my hands.... whats the point?

My health and ability to play the drums. Material items can easily be replaced. Hell, if nuclear holocaust befell us tomorrow and I survived it, I'd probably be out in the woods tomorrow banging on a hollow log w/ some tree branches.

My cymbals are easily relaceable. My set, however, is not likely being made any more. Fortunately, my drums are almost indestructible, but if they were ever stolen or lost,I probably could not replace them.

How do you "Lose" an entire drumset :)
"Oops... now where did i leave that drumset? It might have fallen out of my pocket at the bus station... or maybe i set it down upstairs"

Back