Irreplaceable drumming items you own

You run to the bathroom after a gig and return to find it gone?

ah... but that would be stolen... I meant the literal meaning of losing something... like misplacing it. (Which i know the original poster probably meant lost as in it was destroyed or something...)
Btw... if that happened to me i would probably cry.... I'd look pretty stupid when the band found me balling my eyes out and were like "Oh uh... we moved the kit out to your car for you"

If there was a fire and I had to choose? I'd probably die while deciding. The 602 crashes? The early 70's 2002's? The 1988, 15 inch Paiste Signature Sound Edge Hats that supposedly didn't come out until 89--maybe based on patent date of the alloy? My paper thin 14" made in Instanbul K--a gift in 72? The drums and hardware I'm not so attached to.

my hands. i could probably replace my feet (a prosthetic may work in a minimalist kinda way) but my hands would be very hard replace. i guess maybe you could get a transplant but who knows if it would work and without my hands.... whats the point?

Yup, When the stars line up right I work with a drummer that lost his legs. Prosthetics have their limitations, but you can still play.

I have some Meinl Byzance cymbals signed by Wolfgang Haffner, and an old Zildjian 60's Sizzle Ride which I really like.

Apart from that, I suppose any turkish/hand-made cymbals are hard to replace, as they're all so different.

I have a 20" Zildjian from the 1960's that was my dads and he passed on to me. It has been with me for EVERY gig I have ever played (not always set up, since sometimes there are house kits, etc, but I always take my cymbals just in case) since I started gigging. He got it when he first started drumming and did the same thing, meaning that it has been at every gig played by two generations of Rossi men.

I also have the Mapex Pro-M kit in the purple-to-white fade lacquer that was used on one of Jim Brewer's tours when he took a band with him. It's the most beat up kit I've ever gigged with (still in good shape, but yeah), and they stopped making that finish a while ago. The drums just sing, no matter what heads I use, etc. It would be much harder to replace this than most kits, but nothing compares to that cymbal.

Well .....
-my Warlord Drum set. (thats right not just the snare, i mean the limited edition kit that came out in '07).

-my drum rack that Virgil Donati used in his Drum Clinic in Edmonton.

-oh and maybe my old cracked Sabian B8 Splash Cymbal. it was my first cymbal.

-Jonathan

My Constantinoples...

14" hats
22" light
24" light

the 24" is also signed by:

Elvin Jones
Nasheet Waits
Rashied Ali
Eddie Prevost
Louis Hayes
Ed Thigpen
Jim Chapin
Matt Wilson
Steve Smith (helped me carry my drums to a gig randomly on the streets of NYC!)
Jeff Ballard
Mark Sanders
Tim Mulvena
Susie Ibarra
Michael Sarin
Barry Altschul
Billy Kilson
Winard Harper
Adam Nusbaum
Joe Farnsworth

and unfortunately 4 others that I cannot read nor remember who they are/were...

the 22" is signed by Elvin (HUGE signature!) and Hamid Drake (almost as large)

I would have to be hitting absolute crack-addict-rock-bottom to part with any of them. They also happen to sound *amazing*. ; )

16" Zildjian A Thin Crash that i recently cracked. It sounds absolutley nothing like the 16" Zil A Thins at the guitar center (those ones sound ok, but the one i have sounds incredible). But yeah the crack is around the bell, so i can still play it, and it still sounds amazing, but soon enough the crack will expand and it will become unplayable :(

I kinda lost an entire drum set (cymbals - the works). Long story

I had a very special cymbal that was bought for me as a gift from a member of a band I was in. it was a 10 inch zildjian crash... it wasn't a splash, but rather a 10 in crash. Kind of special..

If I could get just one item back from that kit. That would be it...

I kinda lost an entire drum set (cymbals - the works). Long story

I had a very special cymbal that was bought for me as a gift from a member of a band I was in. it was a 10 inch zildjian crash... it wasn't a splash, but rather a 10 in crash. Kind of special..

If I could get just one item back from that kit. That would be it...

This place is built for long stories if you catch my drift *wink wink*

My Paiste formula 602 sound-edge hi hats. My 3000 cymbals.

16" Zildjian A Thin Crash that i recently cracked. It sounds absolutley nothing like the 16" Zil A Thins at the guitar center (those ones sound ok, but the one i have sounds incredible). But yeah the crack is around the bell, so i can still play it, and it still sounds amazing, but soon enough the crack will expand and it will become unplayable :(

I would stop drill that bad boy ASAP!

This place is built for long stories if you catch my drift *wink wink*

ok... ok... But, this is the shorter version.. @:)

I loved my drums..

Rogers 1979 XP8 shells, memriloc.
  • Rack Toms: 10x11, 11x12, 12x13
  • Floor Tom: 14
  • Bass: 18 x 24
  • Snare: 6.5 x 14 Ludwig Supra-Phonic

Cymbals Zildjian
  • 14" Quickbeats
  • 8" Splash
  • 10" Crash
  • 14" Crash
  • 16" Ride Crash
  • 18" Ride Crash

Percussion
  • 2 Rototoms
  • 4 Cowbells

Electronic
  • Syndrum

Sticks
  • Promark 747, 707
  • Promark Timp Mallets
  • Brushes ???
  • Aluminum Sticks .. ???

Hardware
  • Ludwig cymbal stands
  • Rogers HiHat Stand
  • DW Bass Pedal

After the last band I played in broke up I took a little brake from bands. Played, but, not anything too serious.Well, I got married so this changed my life style quite a bit. Before I got married I was thinking of moving to Nashville. 1985/86ish was the big move that country took and Nashville was scarfing up a lot of rock musicians. I was pretty good at the time and probably would have met up with something fairly big in time. Well, as I said, I got married and things changed a little bit. I changed my plans as far as a big musical career and decided to play locally.

A few years went by and I got Fibromyalgia. It was pretty bad. I got where it was really hard to play. By now I was just playing with friends, and this got difficult too. We had just moved and I really didn't have a place to keep my drums. The last time I played with them I left them at a friends house, a bass player, and his kid played drums. I left them there for him to play around with. That was about 12 years ago.

My health has improved and I can play again...
I do miss those drums, but, drums have come a long way. I decided to get a set of Catalina Maples and I think my Rogers don't hold a candle to them. Even though in their day there were considered a pretty high end drum, technology has improved quite a bit. I can't even imagine how the Renowns sound. Or even higher end sets like SQ2's. I am having a great time with the new drums.

Anyways, I didn't have a lot of cymbals as you see, but I had the best. they were not cheap. All together somewhere around $1,600. I really miss these. But if I could get one back it would be the 10' crash. For two reasons. (1) it was a gift, and, (2) It is a bit rare...

The other piece from the set would probably be the snare.

Well.. That's my story of the long lost irreplaceable cymbal.

Back