How do you know when you have good timing?

yeah, I've been going back to basics and practicing easy beats with a click track. I discovered that as I've moved to more advanced techniques I let this part of my playing suffer.

Very much great information here!
A great drummer said me some months ago, that the more you concentrate to time when playing a song, the more better you'll get. The point is simple: listen yourself all the time. Helped me alot!

After reading the entire thread. I have to ask. Is everything recorded with a click track? Are all the cd,s perfect in time?
In a live setting. Is there anything wrong with picking it up a bit say going in to the chorus. Or into a smoking solo. I believe sometimes an increase in dynamics goes hand in hand with a tad of extra speed. And I meen a tad. It can be effective.
I am new to the forum and I am glad I ran into this thread. Just recently I bought an e-kit. Yep it has a click and pre set tunes all at perfect time. Well I dont have the perfect time I thought I had. And it has been a great help in my short comings. I am sure I will be a better drummer now that I am aware.
Saying that. Doesnt great music have its ebb and flows. Kinda like a tension and release. Playing off of one another hearing what your mates are doing. And working as a band.
I think you can be locked in to a hell of a groove. But if you clicked it, the grooze could be lost.
Don//

Simple advise that I was taught:

If you are wondering if your time is off in the first place, then you have taken the largest step towards great time.

Count the sub-divisions each beat:
1-e-and-ah-2-e-and-ah-3-e-and-ah-4...
1-trip-let-2-trip-let.... (or) 3-la-la-4-la-la....

Check out this book. Its called "It's About Time!!!"
http://www.amazon.com/Its-About-Tim...=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1204607675&sr=1-5
I can attest to its effectiveness.

Fiddle with some ostinado with your high-hat foot. Have the limb keep time on 2 and 4.

Never use the same metronome tempo. My friend would write down each tempo he used each day and changed them daily.

Experience what a difference a shift of 1 bpm will make.

"I know that without a metronome i cant keep time"

put on that iPod, play to songs

I don't think that this method is a universal solution to the oft-frustrating situation of "not being able to keep time well without a metronome". Sometimes I'll play along to a song at a certain tempo, then when I play along to a click at that tempo, sometimes I'll notice myself speeding up a little, and have to bring myself back down. Furthermore, a lot of players out there don't have perfect timing.

I don't think that this method is a universal solution to the oft-frustrating situation of "not being able to keep time well without a metronome". Sometimes I'll play along to a song at a certain tempo, then when I play along to a click at that tempo, sometimes I'll notice myself speeding up a little, and have to bring myself back down. Furthermore, a lot of players out there don't have perfect timing.

It's important to choose carefully which songs you're playing along to. If you choose polished pop productions you can be reasonably sure that the drum track is metronomically accurate, so you can 'nail' the drum part like you would the metronome. I find early Michael Jackson albums goood for this. Stevie Wonder tracks are less useful unless you want to explore a specific time-feel.

The Ipod is a great tool, as it is far more appealing to work with than a click. Anything that encourages practice is good.

A lot of very good information here. I've been playing for about 8 years now and just recently have begun to dive into the world of the click track. Generally I've played along with songs when practicing, but the click has certainly opened up some new avenues for my playing. Thanks for all the info, guys... even if it wasn't intended for me. ;)

Moe

Drive to store
Buy AC/DC Back in Black
Grab Sticks
Go hog wild!

Alternative Method:

Sit in chair
Download AC/DC Back in Black
Grab Sticks
Go hog wild!

:)

when the crowd just can't stop dancing !!!!

HELLO FELLOW MUSICIANS,

THANKS EVERYBODY FOR YOUR ADVISE AND KNOWLEDGE, IT SUPPORTS MY BELIEF AS WELL...BUT, I'M A GUITAR PLAYER IN A 3 PIECE, HEAVY, ROCK, ORIGINAL, PWR TRIO BAND, WE ALL ENJOY JAMMING AND GIGGING TOGETHER AND WRITING SONGS AS WELL. WE ARE ALL COMFORTABLE AND COMPATIBLE WITH EACH OTHER. UNFORTUNATELY AS TIME HAS GONE BY OUR DRUMMER HAS GOTTEN TOO COMFORTABLE WITH PLAYING OUR SONGS "HIS WAY, HIS TIMING." THE SONGS HAVE DRIFTED AWAY FROM THEIR ORIGINAL TEMPO, FEEL
AND GROOVE. ME AND MY BASS PLAYER/SINGER BOTH HAVE THE SAME CONCERNS. HIS BEATS, HIS LICKS, ROLLS, KIT, CREATIVITY AND PERSONALITY ARE NOT AN ISSUE. OBLIVIOUS FLUCTUATION IS...FROM INTRO TO VERSE TO CHORUS TO BRIDGE TO LEAD TO VERSE TO CHORUS TO OUTRO.
HE'S A COOL DUDE AND WORTH CONSIDERATION. THE AVERAGE LISTENER MOST LIKELY WOULDN'T NOTICE ANY DISCREPANCY (SO WHAT!) ACCOMPLISHED MUSICIANS LIKE US WOULD, AND DO. THE SONGS ARE LOSING THE FIRE, THE IMPACT AND THEIR SOPHISTICATION (YOU KNOW WHAT I MEAN) IT'S KILLING ME...MY DIPLOMATIC SKILLS LACK FINESSE AND COMPROMISE TOLERANCE.
THE MUSIC MUST BE PLAYED CORRECTLY...IN TIME, EVERY TIME, ALL THE TIME!
OR THE SONGS WILL LACK THEIR TRUE POTENTIAL AS WELL AS BEING A HINDRANCE ON THE CAPABILITIES OF THE MORE MATURED MUSICIAN.
HOW SHOULD I APPROACH OUR DRUMMER ABOUT THIS SITUATION AND GET HIM TO JOIN US WITH UNDERSTANDING TOWARDS OUR MUSICAL GOALS?
I HAVE SPILLED MY GUTS, AND I AM LOOKING FORWARD TO ANY AND ALL ADVICE MY FELLOW (PROFESSIONAL) MUSICIANS...THANKS!

........LIFE WOULD SUCK WITHOUT MUSIC...S. E. S L I C K..................

Run a metronome thru the PA at practice. That'll sort you guys out.

Do you record your practices/gigs?

Another thing that might help is the Beat Bug or Tempo Ref, a little device that tells you what tempo you're playing, however it's not suitable for all styles of drumming.

When the band stops throwing things at you, lol!

Seriously though...you need to record yourself and your band. Then get the metronome out and try to sync it up to the recording. See how consistent the live timing is. Warning: It's not gonna be NEAR as good as you think it is!

i think practising without a metronome can be a benefitial as practising with one.
by speeding up and slowing down purposely i feel like i can recognise a steady tempo better. make any sense?

having a friend choose a tempo on the metronome and have you guess it's bpm is good.

recording youself helps so so much.

work with the motion of your body. if you lift your hand at the same height everytime you strike the drum, you are more likely to keep a solid tempo. if you widen the gap and lift your hand higher you will probably play slower.

i often play to a click at 50 bpm and bearly lift my sticks off the drums at all. then i will play to the same click but lift my hands as high as they can go.

just try and feel it out. when playing a song, just remember the word "metronome" in the back of your mind. make sure your not just thinking "hot chicks in the front row". that might make you show off and change tempo.

Back