Greyson Nekrutman

Been watching and following him for awhile now. I originally thought he was just a jazz guy as that was the environment I had seen him in . This kid can play it all and has crazy good skills. Seriously fun to watch and he’s from my area .

Here he is on Black Sabbath, Rat Salad

That style is good for a Youtube performer, but I doubt he gets called for gigs. Also, his standard formula begins with goosing the tempo. So there's no pocket, just fill from end to end really.
Just mho.

Last edited:

Enjoy!

Drummer_D

Oh he's an absolute monster - one of my best friends in NYC gave him lessons for years so I've had the fortunate of watching him become the beast he is.

That style is good for a Youtube performer, but I doubt he gets called for gigs. Also, his standard formula begins with goosing the tempo. So there's no pocket, just fill from end to end really.
Just mho.

He gigs a lot - he's literally going on tour with Brand X later this year. You know...the gig Phil Collins had at one point.

He's absolutely sick. I've been watching his stuff for at least a year. Best young drummer out there for sure. He's a monster and seems like a nice young man as well. The sky is the limit for his talents.

Oh he's an absolute monster - one of my best friends in NYC gave him lessons for years so I've had the fortunate of watching him become the beast he is.

He gigs a lot - he's literally going on tour with Brand X later this year. You know...the gig Phil Collins had at one point.
I absolutely love Greyson... he's going places, he's very talented with his drum techniques and unique Style. He has the passion and the drive and you can see it in every movement seated on that throne. It's an entire workout... I enjoy watching him. Good for him he's Young and all he can do is get better and better!
Go Greyson... DRUM ON!!!

Drummer_D

He reminds me of a young version of Carl Palmer/ Sonny Payne with his hands. They're super fast.

I'm wondering how he works with an acoustic band big band live. i.e. supporting them by giving the lead trumpet player what he needs and working within the rhythm section while supporting a soloist.
That's the real litmus test of an ensemble player on the bandstand, not shredding blistering fills to a play along track on YouTube.

Last edited:
I love all the busy playing and ghost notes-right up my alley. Look at that uses both traditional and matched grips-matched the sticks held at end-no fingers and all wrist. He's isanely good but I wonder if people criticize his technique despite having monster chops? He's got a death grip on those sticks which is generally chided LOL. Stuff like this is why I quit worrying so much about technique-just can I play like he does-no matter how I can pull it of.

He reminds me of a young version of Carl Palmer/ Sonny Payne with his hands. They're super fast.

I'm wondering how he works with an acoustic band big band live. i.e. supporting them giving the lead trumpet player what he needs and working within the rhythm section while supporting a soloist. That's the real litmus test of an ensemble player on the bandstand.

Not shredding blistering fills to a play along track on YouTube.

I will say - if he needs to learn one thing - it's how to turn all that fire and those chops down a bit when the time is right and play music not just drums.

Though - taking off on a gig with Brand X and going fusion - he may never have to hahaha.

That's a pretty good gig.

That guy has incredible chops and he seems a very nice person. Kudos to him. I truly respect his work, but I don't like what he does that much, to be honest. Also, he seems to be the new "flavour of the month". Everybody is talking about him, he seems to be everywhere, and I usually loose interest when I see this kind of trend. He's pretty good, but man... people is so boring and predictable.

That guy has incredible chops and he seems a very nice person. Kudos to him. I truly respect his work, but I don't like what he does that much, to be honest. Also, he seems to be the new "flavour of the month". Everybody is talking about him, he seems to be everywhere, and I usually loose interest when I see this kind of trend. He's pretty good, but man... people is so boring and predictable.
This is the most hipster comment i think i've ever read. "As soon as someone is popular, i decide not to like them" lmao

The guy has unbelievable hands and a real command of his sticks.

He's aggressive, passionate and has a lot to say through his playing.

Not my cup of tea.......but I absolutely respect his technical level and limitless energy.

"Loose interest" and "Decide to not like him" are different things. I specifically said that I respect his work, but it's not my cup of tea.
I tend to loose interest when I see others people spamming the new "flavour of the week" everywhere, especially YouTubers. If I like what a certain musician does, I follow him/her. I don't need "reaction" videos from other people. They're just trying to boost their views, that's the reality. Nothing wrong with that, but it's boring, and like I said... predictable.
The exact same thing happened (and still happens) with El Estepario Siberiano, which is one of my favourites. I follow HIM to see his content, don't care about other's people reactions.

Best young drummer out there for sure. He's a monster and seems like a nice young man as well. The sky is the limit for his talents.
I agree 110%! I was watching a YT of his last night, where he was promoting his appearance at an upcoming 'band camp' session (Now I bet the young flutists are lining up for him!!! ... but I digress ... ) ... and he's only 19 years old!

Kid's gonna go far! His energy is infectious! And that YT where breaks down some Buddy Rich licks is an absolute MUST SEE!

Back