Favorite metal drummer?

Re: Best metal drummers?

Hi all!

I can't speak in terms of "the best" that is too subjective for my tastes, but I think my favorite drummer in the metal section would have to be Aquiles Priester from Angra.

Aquiles has the precision, the speed, and some very interesting patterns - his way of incorportating brazilian rythms in Angra's music is fabulous. In my opinion, he really has his own voice. I can't nail this exactly, but athough he has a very machine-like way of playing, I feel he has a certain sens of groove. Obviously not like a funk drummer, but he's got something movy in his playing.

Here are a few vids for you guys to check him out if you're not familiar with his playing:

- Acid Rain
- Nova Era
- Judgement Day
- Unholy Wars
- Hunters And Prey

Enjoy!

Regards,
Christopher.

I'm going to have to say
Vinnie paul and Chris adler have been my fav's for some time now.
I'm just a sucker for the sweet footwork. I got to meet adler this weekend in Atlantic city and he is a super nice guy. A good friend of mine MikeyB is his drum tech so i got to hang out with Mike for like an hour while he set up the kit. He asked me if i wanted to play them when he was done with sound check but i wussed out!!! HA HA .
I think this is my first post since i signed up on the site...so HI EVERYBODY!!

hookedup said:
Oh man, so much metal talent right there. Speaking of Death drummers, you see that video of Richard Christy and Mike Portnoy's dual drum solo?

It was pretty cool.

Dude that'd be awesome. Pretty sweet that he doesn't even need a second kit for someone to play along with him...heh.

jason bittner.

fastest feet iv ever heard along with precise timing. hes awesome

I'm gonna have to add Tomas Haake and Gene Hoglan to my list of favourite metal drummers. Some of the Meshuggah stuff is just mind boggling.

There is no best metal drummer. There are only favourite drummers.

Mine are:
Gene Hoglan - Strapping Young Lad and a few Death albums
Dave Lombardo - Slayer
Matt McDonough - Mudvayne (very tastefull drumming)
Raymond Herrera - Fear Factory

Well Mike Portnoy is my personal favourite,its not coz he can play pretty much EVERYTHING but he changes pattern so so many times when he is playing and they are mad complicated also and il be dammed how he remembers it all also..

As for propper metal/death drummers its a very close call between DOC (R.I.P) Formally from Vader..Darey..their current drummer (bass drum speed would insult anyone..ALMOST) Dave Lombardo Former Slayer, Raymond Harerra from Fear Factory and Pete the Feet from Morbid Angel

resident_evo said:
Well Mike Portnoy is my personal favourite,its not coz he can play pretty much EVERYTHING but he changes pattern so so many times when he is playing and they are mad complicated also and il be dammed how he remembers it all also..

As for propper metal/death drummers its a very close call between DOC (R.I.P) Formally from Vader..Darey..their current drummer (bass drum speed would insult anyone..ALMOST) Dave Lombardo Former Slayer, Raymond Harerra from Fear Factory and Pete the Feet from Morbid Angel
In the new portnoy video he says he remember parts by writing them ALL down. then he writes down what the part reminds him of...say, meshugga or some other song or band. He said he would never remeber that stuff otherwise.

Yeah thats right..in his liquid drum theatre vid and tha track he was ref to was dance to eternaty i think..

seen that vid a few years ago and the whole SHRINK AND GROW section blew me away :)

Re: tell me who is the best metal drummer!

magand said:
Well, i think we all know who that is. Joey Jordison of chourse.

Lol. I love Joey and think hes insane, but not sure about the best drummer.

Id say Mike Portnoy, hes just incredible

JayDVee009 said:
Yes, John Bonham was an absolute legend!!! And was one of the main contributors to Hard Rock/Heavy Metal but not so much as Rainbow's Cozy Powell & Deep Purple's Ian Paice. These were two of the first drummers to introduce a new technique called "double bass drumming" to some of their songs and thus Heavy Metal truely began it's foundations not to mention being some of the biggest inspirations to bands like Slayer & Metallica etc..

On that note I'm glad so many people have mentioned the mighty Dave Lombardo but sad to see not enough mention of the seemingly underrated Paul Bostaph who was up to the task of taking over for Mr. Lombardo and kicked ass doing it eg. Divine Intervention etc........ I'm honestly happy to say I love Lombardo & Bostaph almost on par but Lombardo's awesome work with Fantomas & Testament tip the scales towards Lombardo.

Of course Martin Lopez (Opeth) is an absolute legend and the very cool Igor Cavalera is not to be missed!

Don't ya love it!

Man! This is hard to do without the songs influencing you!

I totally agree that Bostaph was underrated in Slayer! He brought different skills to the table as well as out and out drumming skills. See how Slayer's songs were arranged better during his time with them? I think both Bostaph and Lombardo are equal in the grand scheme of things. It's nostalgia that puts Lombardo ahead with most people IMO...

Igor's been forgotten about since the end of Seputura. Another class drummer!!!

I think at the end of the day though I'd still put Lombardo and Bostaph at the top of the metal drummer tree.

graham2493 said:
Igor's been forgotten about since the end of Seputura. Another class drummer!!!

Sepultura are still going, just barely, it's looking as though Andreas Kisser will be leaving and I can't imagine they'll continue under the same name with one original member.

The best????

Richard Christy
Bobby Jarzombek
Gene Hoglan
Flo Monier
and the little guys nowhere in a street who no one know

I just think that Mudvayne's drummer is unique, with some sweet beats. He doesnt play the common stuff, it's just powerful and not predictable (atleast for me). He's one drummer that I love everything about his playing (not that he's the only). That and I basically think Mudvayne is amazing all around, their vocalist is perfect live, the bassist is sweet, and the guitarist isn't bad.

MSUMetal said:
I just think that Mudvayne's drummer is unique, with some sweet beats. He doesnt play the common stuff, it's just powerful and not predictable (atleast for me). He's one drummer that I love everything about his playing (not that he's the only). That and I basically think Mudvayne is amazing all around, their vocalist is perfect live, the bassist is sweet, and the guitarist isn't bad.

Fair Enough.
Mudvayne played at the Big Day Out here not long ago but unfortunately i didnt get to see them.

Again i post my list with some updates:

Inferno (Behemoth)
Charlie Benante(Anthrax)
Jim Austin(Into Eternity)
Nicko McBrain(Iron Maiden OF COURSE)
Bobby Jarzombek(Demons & Wizards)
Mikkey Dee(Motörhead)
Horgh(Immortal)
Richard Christy(Iced Earth/Death)
The guy from Susperia(Sorry I dont know his name)

Back