Big Decision / Gretsch USA Custom Questions

sqadan

Hi all...

Well - I think I am finally going to order a Gretsch USA custom kit... this will mean selling off my Premier Gen-X kit and a few other items to fund the purchase.

I recently acquired a Gretsch G4160 chrome over brass snare and I am so impressed with it, it kind of inspired me to make this move. I have been dreaming of getting myself a Gretsch USA kit for years... and so I think I'm going to pull the trigger now.

Kit is going to be 14x22, 16x16, 12x8.

I have some questions though, never having owned one... I have played them before - and so I know they sound and feel great... but:

If anybody has recently purchased a USA Custom kit - I'd love to hear your opinions...

Firstly - what is the lead time these days? I understand it can take as long as 6 months.

Second, are there any hardware options I should consider?

Third - I am having one hell of a time picking a finish... it's tough to find real world examples of many Gretsch finishes. My possible choices are - Rosewood Gloss, Sky Blue Pearl, Walnut, Dark Walnut. If anybody has pictures of USA Custom kits in these colors - I'd love to see them.

Fourth - should I even do this? Premier appears to be out of the drum set business for the time being and my kit is certainly no longer in production - should I part with it? Any help grappling with this is welcome. These decisions tend to be somewhat emotional for me and I really don't want to regret this!

wait wait wait.

I demand pictures/specs of this Gen-X kit as I have been shopping for one for some time now.

Much appreciated.

wait wait wait.

I demand pictures/specs of this Gen-X kit as I have been shopping for one for some time now.

Much appreciated.

Hey there...

Gen-X kit is 16x22, 9x12, 16x16 with matching 5x15 snare. Finish is Dark Cherry. Great kit... maybe you can convince me to sell it ;-)

Here is an OK pic for now:

4787013383_e3aa6b3893_b.jpg

On the Gretsch web site you can view the various color options they have with 5 week delivery.
It is their Gretsch QD, quick delivery, program. Should you do this??? You will not be disappointed fro sure.

Use this link.

http://www.gretschdrums.com/?fa=qd

On the Gretsch web site you can view the various color options they have with 5 week delivery.
It is their Gretsch QD, quick delivery, program.

Use this link.

http://www.gretschdrums.com/?fa=qd

Thanks - I'm very familiar with the QD program - but the sizes available are an issue for me... I don't have any use for an 18" deep bass drum for instance.

This will be a straight up custom order. Finish-wise, I don't really trust manufacturer pictures... the colors always look different in person or in real world pics.

Try going to the Show Your Gretsch Kits thread for pics or google images.

I checked out that thread - and done the google thang too... basically, I guess I'm wondering how reddish the walnut and dark walnut finishes are... the rosewood is obviously red, but I've seen some pics that make the walnut look like a deep cherry and some where it looks almost brown... not sure what to think about that - and I don't want a brown kit.

The Dark Walnut is more brownish than Walnut. I originally couldn't decide between walnut and burnt orange which is also beautiful and went with vintage Walnut which is slightly less reddish than walnut. If you want a finish with no brown whatsoever you should check out burnt orange. I still want one actually. Have you considered carribean blue? They look stunning as well.

Adam8 I don't think Vintage Walnut is available anymore... at least, it's not on the site as a choice. And the blue looks great - but it's just not my taste... I'm pretty conservative when it comes to finishes... I like blue in sparkles / wraps, but not lacquer.

Do you actually have a kit in that color? Pics?

Yes, I have 2 actually. One is under the thread '81 Gretsch USA Custom kit thread and the other (a 2008) is on one of the last 3 pages of the Show Your Gretsch thread.

Yes, I have 2 actually. One is under the thread '81 Gretsch USA Custom kit thread and the other (a 2008) is on one of the last 3 pages of the Show Your Gretsch thread.

Your '08 kit is pretty much exactly the color I would like to have... Is that Vintage Walnut or just Walnut? So confusing! Lots of variations on Walnut evidently!

Beautiful kit BTW!!!

Fourth - should I even do this? Premier appears to be out of the drum set business for the time being and my kit is certainly no longer in production - should I part with it? Any help grappling with this is welcome. These decisions tend to be somewhat emotional for me and I really don't want to regret this!

Sqadan, the Gretsch is a classic icon drumkit, but Premier is alive and well if you ever want to get another kit. (you probably will). The Gen-X shell they DO CONTINUE to make, however the lugs is the part I don't know if they still will offer.

Here is the more recent Premier catalog:

http://www.premier-percussion.co.uk/uploads/lib/48_Rebound%2008%20Drumset%20Edition%20DRAFT_Layout%201.pdf

45596_129704057075786_108384029207789_164138_3945542_n.jpg

Sqadan, the Gretsch is a classic icon drumkit, but Premier is alive and well if you ever want to get another kit. (you probably will). The Gen-X shell they DO CONTINUE to make, however the lugs is the part I don't know if they still will offer.

Here is the more recent Premier catalog:

http://www.premier-percussion.co.uk/uploads/lib/48_Rebound%2008%20Drumset%20Edition%20DRAFT_Layout%201.pdf

Yeah - I've seen that site - but I'm not sure they are actually still selling drum kits outside of Europe... If you go to the international site - all they show is marching / pipe band stuff... There are certainly no more Premier dealers in the US.

Yeah - I've seen that site - but I'm not sure they are actually still selling drum kits outside of Europe... If you go to the international site - all they show is marching / pipe band stuff... There are certainly no more Premier dealers in the US.

They are updating as we speak, as far as the new drumset section. I don't what the wait time is, but I know you can get them.

How do the Gen-X kits rank in the Premier line-up? Upper-end?

I love that virgin bass drum...droool

Rocket-

The Gen-X kit is a pro series. When my drums were made - they slotted in just beneath the top of the line - mega-bucks Signia series.

I was thinking about ordering a Gretsch USA Custom shellpack in 2007. I requested some finish swatches from the Canadian Drum rep. (I'm in Canada) and he sent me a large key-ring of actual squares of the shells with finishes on them.........nice walnut finishes in the mix. He wanted the swatches back of course. But - maybe give that a try - it don't hurt to ask.

Back