Tips on memorizing challenging material.

manuelrhine

Hello all,

I have recently started playing with a local singer songwriter that has a very fusion style.

I am finding it difficult to remember each part and cut in a timely manner.
(I.E) stopping on the "e" at the end of a three bar phrase and so on.

I am hoping to hear some ideas on how you go about learning new material.

How would you write down or memorize each part involved in each song?

I need a way to visualize what i need to play and be able to go over it away from rehearsal.

Any suggestions tips or ideas would be appreciated.

Thank you,

Hello all,

I have recently started playing with a local singer songwriter that has a very fusion style.

I am finding it difficult to remember each part and cut in a timely manner.
(I.E) stopping on the "e" at the end of a three bar phrase and so on.

I am hoping to hear some ideas on how you go about learning new material.

How would you write down or memorize each part involved in each song?

I need a way to visualize what i need to play and be able to go over it away from rehearsal.

Any suggestions tips or ideas would be appreciated.

Thank you,

You'll probably need to record a rehearsal or have the artist do a quick scratch track for each piece. That would probably be quicker than you writing out the chart during practice. Once you have a recording, charting it at home will let you analyze and visualize the structure of the songs.

As far as memorization, I don't really know any tricks. Once, at a clinic, I asked Alan White how he memorized all those complicated Yes arrangements, and he basically said nothing beats repetition. That's my experience, too.

Repetition, repetition, and a little repetition.

You can do it. I played with a guy for a while who loved complex arrangements. I hated it at first. But once the material was written I just kinda developed a feel for it and would practice it constantly. It was a great experience. It was like fusion acoustic rock. Strange, I know, but it was my favorite band I've ever been a part of.

I'm surprised nobody's mentioned repitition. that's always the best way to memorize something.

Now, if you're talking about simply getting through an upcoming gig, simple charts may be a faster and more helpful solution.

Oh, and repitition really helps burn the parts into your mind.

Bermuda

Just writing something out makes me think about it more and helps burn it in to the overly worn grey matter.

The guys nailed it with repetition..... :) Remember though practice doesn't make perfect. Perfect practice makes perfect.......Terry

Repetition in small doses works for me, a day maybe two of rest seems to be part of the formulae for me too.

Repetition is like planting the seed, then you need to let it rest/sprout, not keep digging it up, or throwing dirt on it.

Its an art, it can be done with minimal effort, you need to find out how, find your way. If/when you get frustrated stop/rest it.

That is where reading comes into play. Write the music down , practice by plying and fading at the same time , one segment at a time , then link segments to each other and keep on doing t.

Agree with the above.

Chart the song first. For me, the act of charting a song is often enough for me to memorize it. It really forces you to understand exactly what's going on with the song. I have a visual memory, so once I chart it, I bring up a picture of my chart in my mind while I'm playing.

After that, repetition and practice. When I was in marching band back in high school, we used to break the song up into sections and then just repeat each section until we had it down. After we'd memorized each section, we'd start to put it all together. It worked pretty well.

Back