Sell me on a 24"

williamsbclontz

Silver Member
My drumkit I'm putting together is almost done. But I've run into some problems with the bass drum. It's a restoration and the bass I'm working on, a 22x14, is going to take a lot longer to restore than I hoped for. However I found a 24x14 to match my kit that is in perfect condition for a REALLY good price. Generally I stay away from the 24" bass drums, but what are yalls thoughts?

I was planning on getting a matching 20x16 in the future, just to be able to swap out when I wanted. And if I got the 24 I suppose I could keep the 22 and take my time finishing that project, but I will be gigging soon and I'd like to use this kit. Should I hustle and finish the 22, or is a 24 worth it?

Last edited:
You want me to motivate you to buy a 24" bass drum? OK here goes;

You are a wimpy drummer. You play the bass drum pedal like a 5 year old.
You don't deserve a 24" bass drum. Therefore you are not allowed to buy or use one.

What I really liked about the 24" bass drum was how the beater would hit dead center of the head. So you got a slightly punchier sound with the lower fundamental compared to a 22". So I guess technically that's something to think about.

My favorite bass drums are 14x24 and 16x20. The 24 hints at a 26, and can also creep into 22" territory as needed, and the 20" covers the poppy, present sound, while also covering a 22" pretty well. I've pretty much eliminated 22" kicks from my regular rotation.

Bermuda

That's pretty convincing
Yeah, I was thinking you will buy one just to show me you can do whatever you want in spite of what I say. LOL

I would have a 24" except that I like my toms mounted on my bass drum.

What I really liked about the 24" bass drum was how the beater would hit dead center of the head. So you got a slightly punchier sound with the lower fundamental compared to a 22". So I guess technically that's something to think about.

I heard a rumor that pedals have adjustable beater height. j/k.. lol

So it's a match, in perfect condition, and at a great price? There is not much need for convincing. Do it. I love 24x14 kicks. Punch and low end for days, and you don't have to work very hard to make it heard and felt. Get it and then you have all the time you to get your 22" back in fighting shape.

I think I'm gonna go for it, I've just always been skeptical of 24" kicks. I've played one or two in a studio setting and they sound great, but live they are always so big, and I'm barely comfortable tuning a 22". That's just a big drum to control

My favorite bass drums are 14x24 and 16x20. The 24 hints at a 26, and can also creep into 22" territory as needed, and the 20" covers the poppy, present sound, while also covering a 22" pretty well. I've pretty much eliminated 22" kicks from my regular rotation.

Bermuda

What do you take on tour with Al?

I bought a pearl decade maple 13, 16, 24x14 kick shell pack (great deal) just to try the larger kick. I love it it's thinner so almost seems smaller than my 22-really nice kick that shoots air out the port hole like a cannon-it knocked a blanket off a nearby piano seat. You probably won't bother with the 22 refinish once hooked on the 24.

Just kidding about the rumor or kidding about the beater height?

LOL. Back in the day I played A 26. When I got back into it I went with a 22. That took some adjustment. Both with me and the pedal. I use a longer stroke now than I used to for sure.

To the OP regarding 24s, if you run toms over the kick it will raise them up. With a one up set up it shouldn't really matter that much.

LOL. Back in the day I played A 26. When I got back into it I went with a 22. That took some adjustment. Both with me and the pedal. I use a longer stroke now than I used to for sure.

To the OP regarding 24s, if you run toms over the kick it will raise them up. With a one up set up it shouldn't really matter that much.

So I don’t understand - you have a longer beater or you have a pedal that can raise your beater up? My pedals height aren’t adjustable so my technique stays the same on any bass drum. How do you get a longer stroke?

Back