Craigslist Ads....

rogue_drummer

Gold Member
Ever have some douche bag post an ad like the one below looking for drummers and making a big deal of the professionalism? I shot this guy an email today detailing my previous experience and background and we exchanged emails regarding rehearsal location, audition times, the SET LIST they want to use to audition, etc. I even spent my lunch hour listening to these tunes on You Tube to get a feel and see if anything was out of the ordinary I need to ask about. After a few hours and emails back and forth to my wife making plans to accomodate this audition Sunday and plan a family party around this audition, this guy emails me back saying a drummer he's played with before called him and "wants to be in this band" and he's going with HIM instead. But by golly, if he doesn't work out, I'm next on the list since "he likes my story".

What a load of shit. Thanks buddy for wasting my time. Never freakin' ceases to amaze me....

"New project of seasoned pro level musicians with plenty of stage and recording experience looking for a good drummer to play in a new/Texas country band. Music will be everything from top 40 country to some texas and classic country for crowd pleasing and dancing.. We are looking for a drummer that can play at a high level, is a quick learner, is able to learn the music on their own to keep rehearsals to once a week until we get out. Must be ego and drama free and easy to get along with.. Please send us your history and anything you have recorded.. we are not holding open auditions but trying to find the right fit prior to bringing people in."

That kinda sucks. But, if hes willing to do that (which, i feel, is kinda disrespectful...) than would you really want to play with him/them anyways? At least you didnt have to get too far into anything to find out, "hey, dudes a douchebag".

thats how id take it anyways.

No I wouldn't. Not after this. What led me on was the emails we exchanged. Very articulate, words spelled correctly, grammer was good, etc. This person appeardd to have it "together" so to speak and appeared to know exactly how to run a band, audition, etc. They may still do, but they sure don't know how to win friends and influence people, so to speak. Yeah if they call back, "I'm busy"....

I get you on that.

also, sometimes i get on Craigslist and some of the posts people put up in that section... its actually funny how pretentious and just straight up jerk some of them come across lol.

I see it a little differently. They advertised, you responded, they went with someone else. Happens every day of the week, the whole year round and is spread throughout industries far broader than just the music bus. At no point did they guarantee you the gig, they merely asked for submissions and gave you the relevant information in return.

I don't see it as being any different to any other audition, save for the added bonus of you not having to lug all your gear down there only to be told they went with someone else.

Last edited:
I see it a little differently. They advertised, you responded, they went with someone else. Happens every day of the week, the whole year round and is spread throughout industries far broader than just the music bus. At no point did they guarantee you the gig, they merely asked for submissions and gave you the relevant information in return.

I don't see it as being any different to any other audition, save for the added bonus of you not having to lug all your gear down there only to be told they went with someone else.

Kind of how I see it too, that's just one of the things that can happen and is not uncommon

Sucks you didn't get the gig but then again maybe it's for the best, may be a better offer and band to play with right around the corner.

True but I would've liked to have had the chance to audition. But at least I didn't lug the kit all the way there and back.... I'm figuring if I audition enough and keep at it the right band will come around. No worries.

I don't see any "douche bag" aspect of this at all.

He had a need for a drummer, he advertised, he found out someone he already has worked with before is available.

This happens all the time, not only in music, but in business.

Which is why networking is important. The best gigs usually go to people that people already know.

Rather than look at this guy as a douche bag, look at him as a connection. So, you didn't get the gig this time. Who knows when the gig might open up again. Who knows when this guys buddy may suddenly have a need for a drummer and start asking around, and maybe this guy will then say to his buddy "there is guy I was going to audition..."

If I were you, I'd write him back, thank him for his interest in you, say that you understand, and say you hope you can work with him in the future. If you don't, there is no chance he'll be bringing your name up.

In the big leagues, I've seen worse. I've seen guys get a big name band/artist, named the the guy, and then management decides, no, the band needs a name player, or someone with a different look for this tour, or any number of things.

This kind of reminds me of the recent drama surrounding Dream Theater's auditioning for a new drummer.I can't say for sure,but I honestly believe that Mike Mangini had the job the whole time.Mike may have not been in on it but the band was.A great way to generate attention for the band,and..the drummers involved.Again..just my opinion.

I agree with PFOG..this happens every day of the week and twice on Sundays,on every level.People can be fickle,and change their mind in a New York minute,and at that point, common sense and professionalism take a back seat.It happens in any type of business also..not just music.

Just learn from the lesson the universe tried to teach you here,and move on.There will be other bands.

Steve B

PFOG and Drumeatdrum, are both right on in their posts. Hopefully this guy that is doing the Auditions does not read this thread. Don't burn bridges. Never know who he might introduce you to. He is just doing what he thinks is best for his band. Can't blame him for that. Stay positive and good things will happen. As my uncle always said, "it will all come out in the wash" :)

This isn't that bad. You didn't show up for it and nobody be there. That would have been a d-bag move that I've seen happen a lot in my town. I think maybe 1 out of 30 ads on craigslist are from non-crazies.

Back