Rhythm heals

Larry

"Uncle Larry"
Copied and pasted from something I found. I think I'm on board with it.

Drumming is good for your immune system -- it is a fact that sound waves have a profound effect on the cells of our bodies. Ultrasound is used for healing scar tissue and reducing inflammation. Classical music is played for babies to help brain and nerve development. Our immune systems will produce more disease fighting cells when exposed to a 3/4-waltz beat. When it comes to drumming, you can create many different beats and realize an equal number of effects. One basic drum technique is to mimic a heartbeat and get lost in the simplicity of it. It can be that easy.

Drumming is good for your mental health -- ever want to pound on something and scream? Ever feel anxious or shaky from the adrenaline in your system? Have you ever experienced stress? If you answered yes to one or more of the above, then may I suggest that you come to a drumming circle where you can pound along with other people just like yourself! The release is phenomenal! It's as if you were packing up your tension and troubles and sending them off with the sound waves. Creating music with drums is an active form of meditation. Often in the drum state-of-mind questions are answered, problems are solved, and clarity is achieved because the thinking (left) brain is put on hold and we allow our intuitive (right) brain to rule for a little while.

Drumming is good for your spirit -- expressing yourself in a free-form, non-judgmental, improvisational environment like a drum circle can allow you to tap into a very strong spiritual connections. It's primitive. It's basic. It's part of us.

This resonates with me. It even supports the advice, feel, don't think.

Just for balance, and to place it in context, this was taken from an ad for a couple that performs "rhythm healing", so it is a ploy of sorts, and the guys wife is named Moonbeam. Now what do you think?

Moonbeam aside, I think it's true. I think humans have this inate penchant for having to release frustrations, and if you don't, I think you go a little crazy. Drummers, as much as we say we're working on an artform, have this activity we do where we get to hit things and, at least, partially relieve frustrations. So we end up staying a bit more sane, I think. Although I've met my fair share of crazy drummers, I think that has more to do with the wanna-be types who are too busy not being serious about their craft and posing a bit more. I know I feel better if I get to play a little bit each day than when I don't get to play, and this is what makes me envy our V-Drum brothers, they really can play at any hour of the day, whereas I really can't at this point.

This will change when I get my Zendrum though, but that experience is not like having sticks in hand and just drilling away ;)

Drum circles are more about everyone getting stoned than they are about music.

Just sayin'.

Help!! I've been playing for 6 months two days and 8 hours and I'm still not very good (can only play 16ths at 280bpm) and now I don't know if I should keep playing or give up!!! What should I do????

We all know the threads ... so why aren't these people being healed by the drums? How much healing is drums and how much is Zen?

Help!! I've been playing for 6 months two days and 8 hours and I'm still not very good (can only play 16ths at 280bpm) and now I don't know if I should keep playing or give up!!! What should I do????

We all know the threads ... so why aren't these people being healed by the drums? How much healing is drums and how much is Zen?

I think too many drummers don't realize the journey of it all, instead they focus on the destination.

I always find drumming great for stress release. I have my final exams coming up and the study is pretty intense, so breaking it up with some playing really helps.

English Lit. in college covers writing like this, its called Rhetorc. Just because this guy says it doesnt make it true. He doesnt site any referance material just says a lot of stuff that has been proven to be myth. Playing music to babies doesn't do a damn thing. for any kind of brain development and not everyone drums for stress relief.

English Lit. in college covers writing like this, its called Rhetorc. Just because this guy says it doesnt make it true. He doesnt site any referance material just says a lot of stuff that has been proven to be myth. Playing music to babies doesn't do a damn thing. for any kind of brain development and not everyone drums for stress relief.
Yes and no Mr Hyde. I think the majority of us here would say (at the very least) that we feel "better" after having played the drums so I wouldn't discount these claims out of hand (despite the Moonbeam reference).
I would compare it to the assertion that people get a bit crazier while there is a full moon. There's not a shred of empirical evidence to support this, yet there is a tonne of anecdotal evidence (ie emergency rooms are always busier, more arrests made etc).

Our immune systems will produce more disease fighting cells when exposed to a 3/4-waltz beat.

I would like to see some credible evidence for this claim. Smells like BS to me.

So who you jiving with that cosmic debris? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dp6LT2MdaPI (killer groove at around 4 mins during keys solo)

I think too many drummers don't realize the journey of it all, instead they focus on the destination.

Seems to be true, Pete. As the song says, it's not what you do but the way that you do it.

What do you guys think of the stress management claims of drumming? Why more drumming than singing ... or how about bass? Wouldn't that be more peaceful - those lovely low round sounds? Om om ommm ... beast of an instrument to play, though. Kills my fingers.

Another part of the ad said that before there was speech, there was rhythm. (presumably made by sticks hitting stuff)? I just don't know. Sounds plausible.

Help!! I've been playing for 6 months two days and 8 hours and I'm still not very good (can only play 16ths at 280bpm) and now I don't know if I should keep playing or give up!!! What should I do?????

Seat at the kit, slow down those bpm, close your eyes and play a.... GROOVE!!!!!

Do it until it's part of your metabolism and you'll never ask that question again, guaranteed.

How much healing is drums and how much is Zen?

For me it's both in equal measure, it's huge fun too :)

Nothing better to reset my mind after a long day than a shed session.

Absolutely, it's healing, its a form of tension and stress relief, the little life's trouble seems to go away during the session, way more therapeutic than pills, drugs or drinks.

Back