Which forum member has been playing the longest?

zakhopper316

Silver Member
All in the title, who here has been playing the drums for the longest amount of time to date? Just wondering really, I bet it's been a longgggg time for some people here!
To some of the longest playing guys, how have things changed for you through the decades? How you look at rhythm? Your style of play?
Sry if this is a dumb question, I'm not trying to create competition just looking to gain some insight from the older folks because I'm still a pretty young guy with alot to learn.

since 1964 -- 47 years!!

Started lessons in Sept 1965, so 46 years to date (and 37+ years professionally.)

Bermuda

Wow so for the 40+ guys out there, looking back can you visualize yourself getting better and better up to now or is it hard to see how you progressed?

I had no idea early on where I would top-out on what I could do, but later realized that I keep getting better and learning more, and at any given time I'm playing better than before. I hope that trend continues!

Bermuda

I just realized this will be my 40th year of playing (and 28 of those I won't say 'professionally', but they were all for pay, with me acting as professionally as I can).

I just notice that the more I learn, the more I don't know. Some days are great and others I remain stagnant. By age I've learned how to deal with it and just keep swimming....

Well, I've been playing across a span of 40 years, but gave up for 22 of those years, now back at it for a little over 3 years. I used to cut a meagre living from drumming for 6 years, back in the 80's, but after giving up for so long, I've lost most of the limited ability I had. Nevertheless, I'm having fun now, whereas back then it became a chore. As I progress 2nd time around, I further break down my delusion that I can play drums to a good standard.

Well, I've been playing across a span of 40 years, but gave up for 22 of those years, now back at it for a little over 3 years. I used to cut a meagre living from drumming for 6 years, back in the 80's, but after giving up for so long, I've lost most of the limited ability I had. Nevertheless, I'm having fun now, whereas back then it became a chore. As I progress 2nd time around, I further break down my delusion that I can play drums to a good standard.

Apart from the professional stint this is very close to my story.

I've played drums probably for a total of 25 years, intensively for 12. I've also played keys at around around Chopsticks standard for two years.

One thing I didn't know when I was young but now know is that if you don't get your hands and stroke right early on, your potential is very much reduced, no matter how long you play. I'm okay with that because I don't care if I'm not a hotshot, but if you do, then make sure your grip and stroke (including foot action) are good.

Still, I play with more feel and taste now than I used to do.

You're not delusional. The band woulda' fired you by now ;)

Started in 1966 ... so ... 45 years ...

Started in 1979 so 32 years.

I began informal lessons w/ my uncle when I was 5 in 1960. So I've been playing for 51 years. I began playing professionally when I was 15.

Although I was already banging on a snare drum for w few years, when I saw Ringo on the Ed Sullivan show my fate was sealed. I've always been drawn toward song oriented players and throughout my life I find that I'm still most interested in how the drummer can enhance and support the structure of the song. Rock, blues, country, r&b, jazz, whatever.

I still approach music and drumming that way. Ringo still moves me as much as Keltner, Elvin, Levon, Brian Blade, and Dave Grohl

I thought I would do this pictorially.
Proof that I have always loved to drum.
scan0002.jpg

My first kit was a Stewart with Zildjian Hats and ride
scan0004.jpg

It evolved a little bit over the early years
scan0001.jpg

Picked up some mismatched Rogers drums when they went out of business back in the early 80's and decided to cover all the toms in black fir to match the black bass. Check out those concert tom mounts I made in grade 12 wood shop. Money was scarce. Ingenuity wasn't.
scan0005.jpg

A few years later I purchased a used Tama Imperial star kit. Notice the 14" Rogers tom in fake wood covering. The lugs were almost identical to the Tama's
scan0007.jpg

Got married moved into a condo in the early 90's and traded my imperial stars for TD7.
scan0006.jpg

Made the upgrade to a TD10 expanded.
IMG_0518.jpg

Until 47 years later I finally got my dream kit. :)
1210.jpg

Back