Drummerworld inventors

Duck Tape

Platinum Member
Have you thought of the next big thing?

Too lazy to copyright, patent or act on it? Post it here. Maybe the right people will read it.

I'll start:

I was carrying my stands to the car after a gig the other night and I thought it would be nice if there was a handle or moulded area to grip them.

Or you can invent the grip that you can use to grab any stand with.

Yea! One that you can take a punch at the stand and it has clips that clip onto the bar.
You can wear a cape and walk around punching your gear while picking it up. It can be called 'The batman gear punch picker upper'

(If there is no patent, then the wrong people will read it.) LOL

OK here is one I came up with in response to those who were complaining about sound technicians and studio engineers, regarding ported and non-ported bass drum heads.

A removable bass drum port cover. It worked pretty good. But I did no official scientific sound tests.

Pictures speak louder than words.

a-vi.jpg

b-vi.jpg

c-vi.jpg

f-vi.jpg

g-vi.jpg

i-vi.jpg

j-vi.jpg

k-vi.jpg

l-vi.jpg

m-vi.jpg

n-vi.jpg

zz10-vi.jpg

Whaaaaat? Jim, that's awesome! Could you do a video of your bass drum with vs. without the port? I'd like to hear how that affects the sound.

Or you can invent the grip that you can use to grab any stand with.
A glove :)

A removable bass drum port cover. It worked pretty good. But I did no official scientific sound tests.
It's a good idea Jim :) When closed, it will still have a dampening affect (unlike a non ported head), but that may be desirable to some.

As a general note, the membership of this forum are a pretty inventive bunch, & some have acted on those ideas big time. Carrying an idea through though, even the most simple of gadgets, is not for the faint hearted. Following through with a full on new drum design is several Everest assaults rolled into one. Have deep pockets, a lot of patience, & even if the "invention" really delivers, the likelihood of failure is very high indeed. Drummers are often the most conservative - latest finish / brand focussed bunch you could wish to find.

Anything that will enable set-up and set-down durations to be reduced. You know those kids play houses that fold up flat. You release them and they spring into a play house. Well I want one of them for my drums.

Has anyone invented 15 db damping devices for drums? These can be turned on and off like a snare. That would be useful for domestic kits.

Davo

How about this; a pedal operated cymbal choker.

Jim, that porthole/no porthole is brilliant! I love such elegant simplicity in solutions to things.

I've played around with trying to use timber to mount percussion, but it didn't really work out well due to space and shape limitations... and my lack of ability when it comes to visual and spatial design!

That is a brilliant idea, mostly because you can store your between-sets refreshments inside the kit and they'll stay fresh with a twist of the lid.

Why not take this to the next level and replace the hoop/lugs of all resonant heads with a threaded/tapped receiver and the reso head rim would have a matching thread. This way you could just thread the reso head onto the drum with a single twisting motion. You could quickly adjust the reso tension with a little rotation (kind of like a roto-tom). And just imagine how easy it would be to store stuff inside and access it!

I tied a car litter bag onto my floor tom tension rods to hold my phone, keys, glasses wallet and an extra stick. I don't like putting them on the floor or in my shoe. Not as impressive as Jim's removable port hole thingy, but quite useful.

I need to mount a rear view mirror on my tom tree. I have a steady gig where I'm set up up against a glass door that leads outside. People are always coming up, ape-ing, and looking in.... and I can't see them unless I contort my body around. So I need a rear view mirror lol. Maybe a fire extinguisher too ala AVH.

I'd like to invent a stick with a conductive tip so that I can use it to navigate my iPad like a stylus. Quick, before DW patents it!!

I was carrying my stands to the car after a gig the other night and I thought it would be nice if there was a handle or moulded area to grip them.

It'd be cool if they made a bag or hard case with wheels maybe that you could put ALL your stands in and carry in/out of a gig at one time... Someone should definitely invent that. :)

Disposable drums made of hemp paper mache'. They'd be light weight, disposable or recyclable (hee,hee), you could set a candle in them and they would levitate like a Kongming lantern, or set your kit on fire as the guitarist bashes his instrument at the end of the gig-LOL, and they should be cheap to produce. Oo,oo, oo maybe some nano carbon technology where it just a bag of dust till you magnetize it and it organizes into a drum kit-hee

A pre tuned inflatable drum kit and a silent pump- which could be switched for quick (noisy) inflation. Wouldn't expect to take it to loud gigs, the sound would be more 'airy'.

How about a duck valve type (one way) flap/cover for the port?

Closed on impact, opens on rebound, or vice versa. Needs testing for the best result.

STRAP A HANDLE

Some type of handle on a 'drum' would be more practical, tho larryace's stringamabob idea already has that covered most efficiently. Or a whole kit solution.

I often though about doing a proto-type snare rim that transfers a 2.3 hoop into a die cast. slips over top and tightens down with a drum key and can be removed for the next song in a few seconds.

Back