What's Your Favorite Song?

Rules are made to be broken, right?

Kenny Rogers - I Just Checked In (To See What Condition My Condition Was In)

The Beatles - Maxwell's Silver Hammer, because it's so happy, but it's about a murderer.

NOFX - Don't Call Me White, because it's awesome.

Pantera - Domination...I'm not really sure.

Little history. Yes, "Stardust" was written by Hoagy Carmichael. Great tune. But probably the best recorded big band instrumental version was by the Artie Shaw band (with strings yet). Back in the long forgotten past, one of the record labels ( I forget which) decided to try something new. The label wanted to put two of their top bands on one 78 record - one on each side. New marketing ploy. They approached Shaw and he arranged and recorded his version of "Stardust". The label then went to Tommy Dorsey and asked him to do a tune for the other side of the disc. Dorsey asked to hear what Shaw had recorded. After listening to the recording, Dorsey said, "What, are you nuts. Nobody is ever going to listen to the other side of the record. Count me out." In the end, Shaw recorded a second tune for the other side. That's how good Dorsey thought Shaw's version of "Stardust" was.

John Martyn- Small Hours especially after being told by the recording engineer how they recorded it at 4 am in a quarry. I love the geese in the background.

It didn't make much sense to me either :)

Hey LastMan, not so obscure. I like David Sylvian a lot although not "fave song ever" a lot. My fave DS song is probably Red Guitar.
Hi Pollyanna, nice to find another Sylvian fan. Even I thought that there must be another "fave song" that I could pick, but on that desert Island I would want Sylvian's Thalheim

Hi Pollyanna, nice to find another Sylvian fan. Even I thought that there must be another "fave song" that I could pick, but on that desert Island I would want Sylvian's Thalheim

See what you mean. Nothing like oodles of space and a big reverb snare with strainers off, eh? He always has such a lush band sound. That trumpet solo was mmm mmm

Interesting how many of us drummers are choosing laid back numbers. Are you guys really just big pussycats under that tough-guy drummer exterior? :)

Nice. I haven't even thought of some of these songs in years. Time to start digging through my CD collection...

Olivers Army....... by Elvis Costello and the Attractions.

Great lyrics, punchy tune, and a killer piano exit from the middle eight.

Through the Fire - Chaka Kahn

Has nothing to do with the song - has everything to do with what it makes me think (and who it makes me thing of) every time I hear it.

Mmmmmm

A close second is Dawn Chorus by the Alarm. Best lyric ever.

-Ken

Dawn Chorus

I'm a lonely man walking lonely streets
I'm soaked to the skin with the pain of my unease
From such a strained existence

The tension in this world keeps me from sleep
I'm hungry and cold There's a weight hanging over my shoulders
A rain black cloud of doubt

Have I got enough love Have I got enough hope?
Enough strength to face the world each day?
I know there's an answer somewhere in this night I see her each time I look in your eyes

I'm walking in a wild place - I am banging on the gates
On the other side of the tracks babe
Hoping that someone's gonna hear me pray
Oh there's a dawn chorus breaking out all over the town

Will you say you want me, Will I say I want you?
Will you say you love me when I'm stripped and forced to stand up naked?
And will I still love you?

The goal that I want can't exist without fire
And you fire the thoughts that realise all my dreams
These are a grown man's tears

I lost all faith, I lost all hope
I started drinking, life became a joke
Something would keep me going. I didn't know what it was
But I saw it each time I looked in your eyes

I'm walking in a wild place
I am banging on the gates
On the other side of the tracks babe
Hoping that someone's gonna hear me pray

- Oh my god Why do I feel the doubt
- You give me something I can't live without
- Yet from somewhere there comes an emptiness - A feeling that I can't suppress
- Is this the start of the beginning or the point of no return?

There's an answer there - when I look in your eyes
On the other side of the tracks babe - where all my doubts are now laid away away away away
On the other side of the tracks babe - where someone answered my prayers

Last edited:
Back