How to interpret Wilcoxon

Alex Drummer

Hi

I just started to do some of the Wilcoxon solos with my drum teacher. Although he is a classical percussionist and very very good on the snare, we couldn't find a definit answer on how to interpret Wilcoxons notation.
In Solo 9 he starts with a seven stroke roll on the beat if you count the 8ths. In the very same solo we meet another seven stroke roll which is written with two strokes before the 'start' as if he wants a drag before the roll. Now, the question is, does he mean a nine-stroke roll or does he mean another seven-stroke roll but started before the beat and performed with the same speed as the five-stroke rolls? I opt for the second interpretation which would mean, we have two seven-stroke rolls with different speeds in the same solo.
But, what's the correct answer?

Kind Regards

Alex

I guess you're talking about All-American Drummer? For the 7 stroke roll on the 8th note early in the piece you would use a 16th note triplet pulsation. The 7 at the end of the third line and in the middle of the 4th is played with a 16th note pulsation; there's a tap on the beat and roll strokes on the e-&-a. I actually went ahead and addressed this pretty fully on the blog, if you want a little more detail, with notation.

Hi

thanks for your replies, in fact I am talking about All American Drummer. Many thanks for your blog entry, I really appreciate that.

Kind regards

Alex

Back