Zildjian Pitch Black

drumr0

Silver Member
I was in the music store the other day just tapping on cymbals and they had a kit set up with the Zildjian Pitch Black series. I hit the crash...too dark for me, I didn't like the ride very much, not enough wash. Then I hit the 15" hi hats and fell in love. Wow! They sounded just the opposite of what I expected. Very crispy with a nice medium body.

They were 15" Masterworks (black) and just sounded wonderful. I was surprised becaused a friend of mine has some 14" New beats or whichever Zildjian that has the wavy bottom hat that I like the way that it sounds, but because of the waves, I have to stand on it to get a nice "chick" sound on it, but anyway if I ever get a new set of hats these will definitely be up for consideration.

Let the barrage begin!

BAAARRRRRRAAAAAGE!

If you like the sound of them, and it's not a "looks" thing, then more power to you. I usually rip into people who dig these cymbals because they look cool, regardless of how they sound. You're exempt from my vicious, merciless tirade, drumr0, unless you prove yourself otherwise unworthy of exemption in a later post. For now, we're cool, but you're on thin ice, and I've got my eyes on you, watching like a hawk...

On the internet they sound just like any other cheap cymbals, except lower pitch because they are 15" and they have that rattly sound because they are Mastersounds. They are also quite heavy as well, which means they will ring for quite some time and be sort of unresponsive, but hey let's paint em black and people will buy them.

There is one thing people are always saying about these and that its that 'its okay if you're buying them for sound' and 'not just because they look good' but in my honest opinion I don't even think they look good.

but hey let's paint em black and people will buy them.

My point exactly!!

I think they've made them black and different to try and entice a new young audience who they know will love these just because they think they will make the music better. The problem with these (I find!) is that Zildjian have made them for the wrong reasons, its more looks over sound.

Its just a shame is all im saying.

Adam x

Last edited:
It was the same thing a few years ago with the ZXT Titanium models....oooh shiny silver cymbals, must buy those. Drum companies have been coloring their hardware too, it looks terrible. Especially those black drums with the black hardware, black drumheads, and now black cymbals. I laugh because every scratch and stick mark shows up crazy well. Oh well, so many music companies focus all on appearances these days **coughpearlcough** and not enough on delivering quality products at reasonable prices. Oh well, if I were a beginning drummer in need of cymbals I would rather put the money towards a Zildjian K Ride than a set of Pitch Black, ZBT, ZHT, ZXT (why are there so many) cymbals. The same goes for drums. I'd rather have a 4-piece African Mahogany shell kit than a double-bass 6 piece Pearl Export even if it came in shiny colors. They totally should make white cymbals next. It would show stick marks less.... or perhaps plaid ones....that could be interesting

I will be the first to admit that I am not a big Zildjian fan. I play Paiste Signatures and Sabian AAX's but I try to be open minded, and if I like what I hear, I will hit it. I don't keep up with Zildjian's different lines, but I was under the impression that the Masterworks were on the higher end.

I was honestly surprised that I liked this cymbal, but to me, it sounded really good, go figure!!

I was also drawn to it because I was curious how a black painted cymbals sounds, but I don't particularly like the way it looks.

I didn't like any of the other cymbals in that line.

Maybe the fact that it is a 15" is what I like. I play a 14" Paiste Signature dark crisp bottom OVER a Paiste Signature Power top.

I didn't realize this was a flame worthy cymbal, but don't be to harsh.

If I were you, I would just listen around to different 15" hi hats. Because It is not just us that will ridicule you. Also after a short amount of time, the paint will start to chip off and then you got black crap all over the place.

As soon as I saw these cymbals I got mad at Zildjian. Like posted before "looks over sound". A perfect description. I don't even care if any of them sound okay.. it's just.. you just KNOW they're making these only to sell them.
I say this line is a sellout line. After some time they're gonna call it Limited edition and say "only 1000 copies left, BUY THEM NOW OR DIE!!"
Just like they did with the Titanium line, stopped making them so people would think it's limited edition and they must buy it before they are EXTINCT!!

Colorsounds weren't crappy sheet bronze cymbals though, they were a professional line. True that they were an aesthetically motivated line, but they also sounded good!

If you honestly believe that these hats are the best sounding on the market in that price range than go for them. Though personally I can't stand the look of them, let along the sound.

personally not into the color thing on cymbals either...but masterworks do sound good just stop with the coloring crap!

Dont get me wrong im all for 'if you like it then get it' kinda thing, I was just complaining really about the state of the industry, I mean sure there are alot of kits and cymbals out there now that are amazing it just seems that now companies are shifting to looks rather than sound quality and longevity of the instrument

But all this is for another thread

Adam

My apologies for starting a new thread on a dead horse, but I can't seem to ever get the search function to work right.

I will admit that my hearing is not what it used to be also. I am a 23 year veteran in an aluminum extrusion factory where saws are slicing through aluminum all day long, (yes, we are required to wear hearing protection and do annual hearing testing) but have noticed that my hearing in the upper register has dropped out some and this may explain my attraction to brighter lines of cymbals.

Thought this looked kind of funny.

I'm not a fan of the Blacks, they sound more like a thin piece of metal than a cymbal. (They are all thin pieces of metal, but you catch my drift).

Attachments

• Untitled.jpg
    Untitled.jpg
    13.6 KB · Views: 165
What a better way of not wasting mistakes or seconds. Paint them black and sell them anyway.

And really "I cound't get the search function to find the thread right under mine."

Back