Zildjian K Sweet Crashes - Specific Question

Kuromaku

I can't seem to find specs on this - and even eyeballing from pics is difficult because of the lack of consistency in perspective/scale.

Anyone know the size of the bell on K Sweet Crashes on each size from 16"-20"? It looks like there's an appreciable jump in size from the 17" to the 18". The difference b/t the 16" and the 19" is obvious, but I'd like to actually know the size of the bell on each.

I'm not sure I like the extra ringing/wash of the 18" and up, but I do like what looks like a bigger bell on the 18" and up.

The 17" has a bell about 4-1/4 inches in diameter whereas the 18" and 19" bells are about 5-1/2 inches in diameter. If anything, the bell on the 18" is a bit bigger than on the 19". I've had two of the 18" crashes and they were both the same so I guess it's by design.

Thanks for the information, @yammyfan - why did you use the past tense when referring to your 18s? They crack? You didn’t like something about them?

A few more questions: What other crashes were you mixing them with? And did you consider the 17” or 19”?

Thanks for the information, @yammyfan - why did you use the past tense when referring to your 18s? They crack? You didn’t like something about them?

A few more questions: What other crashes were you mixing them with? And did you consider the 17” or 19”?
Glad to help. :)

I still have an 18" K Sweet crash. The first one I bought was a bit bright compared to the 17" and 19" K Sweets that I already owned so I exchanged it for another one. The replacement crash is a better sonic match with the others. My K Sweet family now consists of 17-18-19 inch crashes, 21" ride and 16" hi-hats. They are phenomenal cymbals - incredibly versatile. I mix them with my 'regular' K Dark Thin crashes.

I keep coming back to this option in looking for a complement to a 17" K Custom Dark. The shortlist was K Dark Thin, K Custom Hybrid, and K Sweet. I think I like the brighter side of the K Sweet. So I'm landing on the final decision of the 17" Sweet vs the 18" Sweet.

As I said, I'm drawn to the little bit more brightness in the Sweets and the 17" has more of that I think and the 18" seems to have a little bit too much in dying out. But I'm drawn to the large bell on the 18" for ride/effect options.

Anyone have experience with the 17" or 18" Sweet? Or if you have a KCD, what did you mix it with? @yammyfan - your insights are particularly welcome.

I keep coming back to this option in looking for a complement to a 17" K Custom Dark. The shortlist was K Dark Thin, K Custom Hybrid, and K Sweet. I think I like the brighter side of the K Sweet. So I'm landing on the final decision of the 17" Sweet vs the 18" Sweet.

As I said, I'm drawn to the little bit more brightness in the Sweets and the 17" has more of that I think and the 18" seems to have a little bit too much in dying out. But I'm drawn to the large bell on the 18" for ride/effect options.

Anyone have experience with the 17" or 18" Sweet? Or if you have a KCD, what did you mix it with? @yammyfan - your insights are particularly welcome.
I only have experience with the 19" K Sweet, and it's the bees knees. One of my favorite crashes ever.

The 18 is indeed the brightest of the three and its bell is pretty much identical in size to the 19's. You could use either as a light ride in a pinch.

The 17" was the first K Sweet I bought and it complemented the 16" and 18" K Dark Thin crashes I already had - perfectly. If I had to buy them all over again I'd still choose the 17" first.

I have 17 and 19 sweets, the bell on the 19 is quite a bit bigger. I prefer the 19, but the 17 sounds great too. If I were to buy one again I'd pick the 19 first, to my ears it's more bold.

The 20" is where the honey is at.

I wanted a darker set of cymbals. i've just bought a 17" K Dark crash secondhand. By reading threads on here it seems like the 19" K sweet crash would be a great match. I'm a bit worried about the 19" being a bit too loud for what I'm going to use them for. What do people thin of matching the 17 KDC with an 18" K Sweet or even another 17" K Sweet or the 16" K Sweet?

I have a 17" KCD and just got a 17" K Sweet. I went back and forth, but I landed on the 17" because I liked the crisp sound. The 16" was a little too light/fast/simple - and the 18"/19" were a little dirty and rang too long for me personally.

If you're looking for a little bit more of a complex sound, I'd go bigger than the 17".

Obviously although both crashes are the same size, it's apparent that they sound different and it's a really great mix.

I have a 17" KCD and just got a 17" K Sweet. I went back and forth, but I landed on the 17" because I liked the crisp sound. The 16" was a little too light/fast/simple - and the 18"/19" were a little dirty and rang too long for me personally.

If you're looking for a little bit more of a complex sound, I'd go bigger than the 17".

Obviously although both crashes are the same size, it's apparent that they sound different and it's a really great mix.
Thanks. I have a store here but they don't carry all the sizes most times to check out, so any advice is appreciated.Hard to get a sense sometimes from on line samples. I figured two 17" would sound different but not sure by how much - you've answered that.

Back